Honolulu Hosting - Zoning and legitamcy questions

Analisa7
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

Honolulu Hosting - Zoning and legitamcy questions

Aloha! We recently put out shared home up for guests! I have been doing a little more then a few google searches up pertaining to the laws here in Honolulu, but I find ALL SORTS of information from all directions.

1.  Is there a specific zoning that cannot air bnb?

2. Are there permits to be aquired? & Do people actually apply for permits?

3. Who are the people that police "illegal" rentals? & are there actually a such thing as illegal room rentals?

With what I have gathered, my situation is legal to rent a room in my home out. But there is a part of me that is a tad bit scared reading into this exceptionally confusing text on the government websites and then reading forums and articles about the matter. 

I hope someone can lighten this load of information, before my first guest arrives. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4
Lisa49
Level 1
Kailua, HI

Decimated industry as of today.

What are the expectations for handling people who have already reserved?  I have guests set to come through Christmas, as I imagine many of us have.  I guess I'm wondering how much time we have before enforcement starts.

Cara88
Level 2
Kailua, HI

AirBnb needs to come up with a solution and they need to let us know how to go through the premit process. I looked at the Honolulu C&C DPP website and im not sure if I have to apply for a building premit or a zoning permit. Zoning sounds better. I will continue researching, but hope that AirBnB can assist.

Jeremy383
Level 2
Kaaawa, HI

Hello,

A new bill (89 CD2) was signed in recently:

http://www.honoluludpp.org/Portals/0/LandUsePermitsDivision/ShortTermRental_FAQ.pdf

It affects the vast majority of short term rentals on O’ahu. Tough new laws commence Aug 1, 2019.

I see the argument on both sides however in end the, money talks and BS walks and it appears that the lobbyists for the hotel industries are walking in support of said bill.

Only 1715 permits will be issued no sooner than October 2020. I guess unless companies push back on this, we can say goodbye to 330 million dollars a year on household income relying on short term rentals to live in the most expensive state of USA.

Hardest hit by the bill will be north shore allowing zero permits.