Hoping for full refund on strict cancellation policy

Brian762
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Hoping for full refund on strict cancellation policy

I recently booked a five-night reservation in Barcelona during the first week of June 2019 for myself and a group of seven friends, only to discover three days after the 48-hour period within the host's Strict cancellation policy that the wrong dates had been used. Panicked, I sadly confirmed that the dates I actually needed were not available for that property and immediately contacted the host, who got back to me the next morning saying that he could not cancel himself and that a refund would not be possible. I wrote him back stating that I would have no problem cancelling, admitting my dumb error and basically groveling throughout the entire message, appealing to his sense of fairness. He again stated that he had to stand behind the policy and denied my request. In the meantime, I researched this post that reveals full refunds are possible according to the host's discretion:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Full-Refund-for-Strict-Cancellation-Policy-TIPS/td-p/456...

At that point, I engaged customer service and was turned over to a Case Manager, who basically informed me that I didn't have a leg to stand on and that I was essentially at the mercy of the host to decide about a refund. I wrote back to the host, letting him know that I understood his situation, informed him that I had even looked at his other two properties on the dates I actually needed (which were unfortunately not large enough to accomodate my group), let him know I would be out $1,700 (the first half of the rental fee) and now without a place to stay at present, and once again essentially begged for mercy while appealing to his sense of humanity and compassion. I then formally canceled my reservation and requested a full refund through the system. His reply this morning was the same: he did not agree to a refund (seemed a little ticked off, which was obviously not my intention), the policy is as stated, I had time to review the dates and he finds my story hard to believe.

I called Airbnb back this morning and got another Case Manager, to whom I explained that I thought this was an awful and unsustainable business model that hides behind policy while ignoring common sense and allows me to lose $1,700 for a rental six months out that I won't even be in the country for. She said that she understood and would contact the host to appeal to him again. I am not hopeful at all and, based on a lot of what I've been reading, actually expect to get the runaround and/or possibly get ignored from here on out.

Let me state that I don't expect most hosts on here to feel any sympathy for me, and I understand that viewpoint to a small degree -- I'm sure you deal with all manner of things from guests. I should also state that, in addition to the reservation being a full six months out, the host's property only had two five-day spans blocked out of his entire calendar during May and June. I highly doubt that the few days I had reserved his property cost him any business, and those dates are now fully unblocked for him to rent again over the next six months due to me canceling. 

Thoughts on this? Am I completely full of it or is he being unreasonable and attempting a money grab? While it won't help my situation at all, I am genuinely interested in other's viewpoints on this. Lastly, do I have any other recourse at this point? Is arbitration a possibility if I am once again denied? The possibility of losing $1700 for no services rendered/no actual stay due to an honest yet dumb error that was noticed a few days after an allowable cancellation just seems completely insane to me.

27 Replies 27
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Brian762

There was a case fairly similar to yours that was publicised last year.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/airbnb-refunding-austin-man-who-filed-lawsuit-over-cancellat...

This case led to the 48 hour cancellation window being introduced.

In your case it's likely the majority of hosts would agree to fully refund for the reasons you give - far off booking time etc - it's an inconvenience to the host more than anything.

However some hosts can see it as free money for nothing windfall, as in the Austin man v London host above, and it seems as your Spanish host does as well.

Here lies the problem, strictly speaking the rules you sign up to allow this situation to occur.

A see-saw balance between fairness and applied rules is always needed but tricky to reach.

A lot of the discussion on the forum here is where hosts are utterly turned over from airbnb when savvy guests use the extenuating circumstance refund route.

Still irrational circumstances and outcomes occur. I've every sympathy for you, mistakes happen and I once tried to jump on a train in July when I discovered I'd booked for June. Of course one has to take responsibility for ones own actions.

It's down to the case manager to plead your case now, in the long run it's airbnb to examine the fairness of it's rules - or make arbitary decisions. There was enough wailing of hosts when the 48 hour window was introduced.

I list on bdc, with the cliental almost encouraged to cancel at will, so it's not easy to strike a fair balance to satisfy hosts and guests.

Maybe the 'oxygen of publicity' externally might help your case.

Thanks for your thoughts, Elena. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and came across that article. I'm not really interested in filing a lawsuit and wish this could be handled amicably, but that resolution is pretty instructive.

I also completely understand the balance of trying to be fair to both the host and the guest -- rules and policies are in place for a reason. Obviously, my stance is that it was an honest error discovered within days of the booking for a rental six months out, which is where my appeal to common sense and fairness comes in. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of that will matter here. Regardless, I appreciate your perspective.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Brian762 I don't agree with your perspective or that of @Elena87

Your emotive language and lack of understanding of the booking process would tick me off.

You

1. Booked the wrong dates

2. Didn't notice this within the 48 hour grace period

3. Chose to book a place with a strict cancellation rather one of the many thousands with a flexible or moderate policy.

I have every sympathy for the host in this situation. Unlike @Elena87 who seems completely unsupportive or understanding of her fellow hosts position.

Rather than trying to get around the hosts cancellation policy by trying to pressurise them through Airbnb or make them cancel and take the hit for you. You would have been much better asking the host nicely if they rebook the dates can they offer you a refund for any dates that are rebooked.

It's likely this far ahead, this is exactly what would happen.

In this way, it is a win win for both of you, rather than you using emotional blackmail to try and get your way.

Try it and see if that works. Mind you, you might find that you have now annoyed the host so much by your behaviour that they dig their heels in.

Yes of course they can voluntarily refund you, but why should they, hosts like the one you booked with, me and many millions of others have strict cancellation policies for a reason. You need to start from a position of understanding you are the one being unreasonable here. Not the host.

Helen, I can't say that I agree with all of your points here, but I do appreciate the reply. You mention my emotive language and that's a big part of the issue here and perhaps how I've handled this -- I can't afford to give away $1,700 for nothing and it absolutely is an emotional issue for me.

You're also right in that I didn't and still don't totally understand the processes and inner workings at Airbnb. I'll accept the hit for not fully taking in and comprehending the cancellation policy. Regardless, it was a completely honest (yes, also dumb) error that was noticed by me within days of the booking, which, as I have mentioned, is a full six months out. I made it clear to him that I would be the one to cancel and free up his property, which I then followed through with immediately. This is where I think common sense and compassion needs to come into play, but I know that you don't agree.

One area we do agree is that I should have presented the scenario where I could potentially receive a refund if he rebooked the property on those dates, which will almost assuredly happen with so much time until then. The scenario popped into my head at one point, but as I said, this whole thing has been emotional for me and I failed to bring it up in any of the messages to the host. Depending on what happens with the Case Manager trying to work with him, I could present that to him, but I'm afraid that he won't want to work with me at this point. I did look at his other proporties and pointed out to him that I would gladly stay at either of them on the dates I need, but again, neither is large enough to accomodate my group. I would love a win-win for both of us, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

No matter the resolution, this has been a big learning experience for me and most likely will result in me never wanting to contract with Airbnb again. Policies aside, I just don't agree with a system that puts this kind of decision making about large amounts of money under the whims of a single individual under these types of extenuating circumstances and with such a large span of time between the error and the actual reservation dates. I should likely stick with hotels that are more customer-oriented and have a more defined process for these types of issues. 

While I don't think requesting a refund under this scenario is being unreasonable, thanks again for your reply and the suggestion regarding the rebooking. 

@Helen3 I agree with you fully. Rules are rules. If a rule is broken once, it can be broken the second time and more. In addition, if a host gives an exception to a guest for breaking the rule, the guest will definitely try to break the rule again in other occations of bookings with a different host. It will create argument and conflicts between the guest and other invovled hosts. The guest may use the previous experience as an excuse to accuse the host who wants to stick with the rule. Do not abuse the rule.

@Brian762 I still don't understand why you were not able to change your requested booking dates with the same booking because you mentioned that his listing was open most of the time in the period. If a change of dates could be done, neither of you would potentially take the loss.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brian762 - I feel for you, because we've all made mistakes, well, seemingly @Helen3 hasn't, given her hard-nosed approach to the situation (assuming that is she read your whole post, which seems doubtful).

You've come up against an equally hard-nosed host in one who can't seem to see any injustice in what they've done. 

And for the record, the reason "many millions of others have strict cancellation policies" isn't to make money from guests who have tripped themselves up, it's to protect themselves against the type who cancels at the last minute and ruins their chances of securing a booking. 

Good luck all the same. 

Thanks for the reply Gordon -- you're clearly a brilliant, compassionate, well-adjusted individual. 🙂 I did actually type out a long reply to Helen digging deeper into both of our viewpoints, but I keep getting posting errors and it won't stick. 

Your last paragraph is what keeps sticking in my craw as I rail about a lack of common sense in this case. The policy is in place for a reason -- the exact one you stated re: last-minute cancellations  -- not taking a significant sum of money from a traveler who made an honest mistake six months out and discovered it days after the booking. Hiding behind policy like this is just bad business, and I don't think there is anything that could be presented to me that would change my mind about it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Gordon0

Hard nosed - glad my guests don't agree with you 🙂 

I gave  @Brian762 some practical advice about an approach he could take with the host that is likely to give him much better results and result in a win-win situation for both of them. If I was being 'hard-nosed' as you so nicely put it, I wouldn't have done so.

As you say the host is likely to get re-booked so @Brian762 suggesting to the host that he gives him a refund for any days he is able to rebook,  is more likely to give him the outcome he is looking for as the host he is keeping to his policy.

On what basis do you assume I didn't read the OPs  post? 

Having a strict cancellation policy isn't to protect yourself from last minute cancellations. You can use a moderate policy for that. It's used by hosts who find it harder to get replacement bookings, even when the booking is some way away.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Let's see : you enter into a contract with clear terms and conditions. You then decide you don't like the terms. I'd be careful booking airline tickets, most of which are completely non refundable.

One approach would be to attempt to modify the booking dates rather than cancel ? Most hosts will see this as positive since they don't loose money.

Again, I freely admit that I messed up when I put the wrong dates in my filters for the properties I was searching -- not trying to argue that. I also recognize the need for and value of agreements and policies. All I'm saying -- maybe poorly, I'm not sure at this point -- is that reporting the error a few days after I could have canceled and six months out from the travel dates seems like a situation that maybe could be handled with a bit more flexibility and compassion. Given the established ability of hosts to assess the situation and issue a full refund if willing, I humbly submit that, IMO of course, the right thing to do would be to give me my money back. I think Gordon said it best:

"And for the record, the reason "many millions of others have strict cancellation policies" isn't to make money from guests who have tripped themselves up, it's to protect themselves against the type who cancels at the last minute and ruins their chances of securing a booking."

Regarding the dates, I have no flexibility as my group is going there for a music festival/birthday celebration. The dates I actually booked -- the following Tuesday through Sunday of the real week that I needed -- are obviously several days after the main reason we'll be there, and none of us will even be in the country.  I don't want him to lose any money and would gladly pay for anything he might be on the hook to lose not related to the actual rental price -- not sure how Airbnb penalizes hosts or anything involved with that. 

So to recap, I sit here now out $1,700 and still needing to lock down a place to stay for six months down the road, which is why I'm so anguished. Hope that makes sense.

@Brian762, one thing you may consider is the Airbnb position here:

- you yet paid Airbnb 1.700$, not the host,

- the host will be paid theses 1.700$ minus the 3% Airbnb fees out of Spanish VAT so about 1.627$)  by Airbnb ONLY 24h after your initial check-in date so IN  6 months, even if he agrees to refund you now.

- you ask for a full refund NOW.

If the host agree to your refund request, 2 possibilities:

- if he had enough confirmed reservation the amount will be deducted from his next payment(s) to refund you (via adjustment on his Airbnb transactional historical),

- if he had not enough he will be asked to fill a payment method from which the amount will be deducted to refund you.

I think you could understand why a host doesn't want to be out of 1.700$ during 6 month for nothing while Airbnb will keep theses 1.700$ during 6 months.

A fair attitude from the site would be, in case the host agree for a refund, to take it from their own pocket directly and not to ask host for a cash advance...

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

Its an easy mistake to make, book, relax for two-three days thinking everything is on track when suddenly going over your plans you realise you booked the wrong dates! we all have our daily stresses, I think many of us might make the same mistake.

The host is wrong not to refund you, 48 hours or not you have let him know well in advance, and the likelihood of him finding other guests is excellent (barcelona in summer!) he’s just in it for the money and doesn’t exemplify what airbnb is about.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brian762you will be refunded 50% of the nightly price you paid plus cleaning fee, minus service fee. Other 50% of nightly price your host will get 24 hours after your check in should be (next june)

If your host agreed to refund you then you would be refunded by Airbnb now and your host wouldn't be paid.  (Oliver is wrong)

Your host haven't done anything unlegal but is it morally ... 😕  Some hosts would agree to full refund for a cancellation made 6 months ahead, others would refund only dates they are able to rebook, it depends how close to date is it. I would refund you in full, but I don't have strict cancelation policy either because I don't want unhappy guests and situations like this. Yes you did a mistake but we are all humans and make mistakes. I really feel sorry for you.

@Branka0 & Sylvie,

Brian booked for about 3400$. He used the pay less upfront option and paid half amount and was supposed to pay the other 50% 2 weeks prior arrival.

Since he cancelled out of the 48h grace period he will be "refunded" 50% +cleaning fees (if some were due). This means the other 50% will not be deducted from his payment method 2 weeks before his check-in date. Theses 50% will be paid to the host 24h after supposed check-in date according to the strict host cancellation policy.

Any additional refund have nothing to do with the cancellation policy. To request guest will need to go through the Resolution Center and ask for money from the host.

From my experience, but perhaps rules changed, the amount will be deducted from future payments (if enough money is to be paid) through adjustment. If there is not the host is asked to fill a payment method from which the amount will be deducted.

I called CS for confirmation 10min ago, nobody was able to answer but they will reach me out asap (I hope so) and I will share it here.