Horrible Experience ): (DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO)

Frank91
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Horrible Experience ): (DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO)

Hello community!
I am writing today as I have a problem that I really don't know how to deal with:
I had these guests staying for 2 nights. When we accepted the booking we knew we wouldn't be at home as we had a trip planed for that time, so we explained to the guests that we wouldn't be there, but a friend would open the door and help with the check-in. We told them that we were going to be back at their 2nd night, so we could meet and help them with the check out. When they made the booking they asked if they could stay longer than our regular check-out time (11am), and we told them they could leave their luggage in the flat (all packed and tidy at the entrance hall of the flat, as we needed to clean) and come back later (5pm top) to collect it. The date of their booking arrive and they came, we were in our trip and our friend helped them with everything. It is not the first time we do this, our friend has helped us several times when we can not be there for our guests, so let's say she is part of our "host team". As well we help them as much as we could via email and the airbnb messages.

When we arrive to the flat from our trip (the second night of their stay) we found them completely naked with all the lights turned on, their room was widely open and they were having sex, they scream "who is there? stop!" when they realized that we were entering into the flat. Our place was turned into a total mess, their belongings were all around, the way to our room was completely blocked and the house in general had a very bad smell.

After puttin some clothes on and coming out from the room, they said they were very upset as they "weren't waiting for us to come that night".  The toilet was blocked (first time that happens in the flat) and instead of calling us to notify the problem (even though they had several ways to contact us or our friend) they tried to unblock it themselves "with a plastic bag" (??), and they left the bag on the floor full of feces. In the middle of this chaos they asked us again about the check out time, and we remind them it was 11am but they could leave their belongings as we arranged before, but just until 5pm and without any further use of the room as we needed to clean. They got really upset when they insisted in returning between 1pm to 3pm to have lunch and a nap, and we said no (as we had to clean for the next guest).
They finally left the room the next morning and left their belongings tidied up in the entrance hall as arranged. Nevertheless the flat was a total disaster and the bathroom was full of poop (EVERYWHERE). One of them shaved and cleaned the razor on the bathroom shelf, so it was extremely full of hair. As well the bath was completely covered with a thick layer of hair, like if they had used a shaver machine to cut their head hair.  Even the toilet tank was broken. In addition to all this, they didn't return to pick up their belongings at the arranged time, we had to wait for them until almost 8pm.

Unfortunatelly that's not the end of the story, it got even worst as they write us asking for the money back or they would leave a horrible review. They argue that the place "is a living room and there is no privacy", but precisely what we are advertising is a living room, even as a shared room category (even though is a completely private and separated room from the rest of the flat). That is very well specified not only by us but by the reviews as well, and you can check our ad and see that is completely private even though the room is supposed to be the living room. None of our guests have had problems with it. We exactly don't know how to deal with this, if there is any possibility to do something else than just write a response to their bad review.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this increddibly long text, but it was a really bad experience and I had to tell the whole thing. 

Kind regards.

8 Replies 8
Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

"asking for the money back or they would leave a horrible review"
That is against Airbnb rules. Report that to Airbnb.

Don't agree to any refund. I'm sorry you had this experience. I hope you can put it behind you. For now, try to detach from it and just be clinical in your review and response. In your review of them, be brief, simple and factual.

Begin your review with, "I would not host (name) again."
That will flag them for any future potential host.

Then, just state the facts, in the order they happened.
Tell it all. But facts only. Leave out any judgement, opinions or feelings.
Whoever reads the review will form their own judgement, based on the facts that you present.

No need to reply to their review of you. But if you do, keep it brief and factual.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Man, that sucks.

Gotta love people who are upset because you gave them exactly what you described!

If they sent the extortion for review through Air messaging, flag it. If they sent it through other means, save a copy as evidence for customer support. That's a violation of Terms & Conditions.

I would only respond briefly to their message, probably pointing them to the documentation of what a shared space is.

If they leave a review, you can ask it be removed if it's factually incorrect. (although that doesn't always work)

In both your own review and any response you make to theirs, keep it brief and professional. Everyone knows crazy when they see it, whether it be host or guest, and the cooler you look, the more people realize who the problem was.

In your shoes, I might say "(Guest) didn't understand what a shared listing is. They left significant unsanitary mess, including damaged plumbing (no issues with prior 28 (or whatever) sets of guests). They repeatedly asked for a 4 hour checkout delay, which we couldn't accomodate due to another reservation. We offered to hold their luggage and ended up waiting 3 hours after their arranged return time. Would not host again and do not recommend them to other hosts"

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Frank91 I am sorry that you had this experience. 

I check your listing and the title clarifies that the place is a living-room and it belongs to the category of private rooms, so it is obvious that the hosts or other people live in the house, as well. 

According to your story, those guests seemed to be really inappropriate guests. Things like that can happen. 

The right is by your side, you can report them to Airbnb for threatening you, you can reply to their review and write your review about them. I think @Bob39 and @Allison2 have covered the issue very well. 

But to me, the most important thing is that you don't be disappointed by that kind of behaviors. I think that that kind of guests are an exception and not often cases. So, focus on more bookings and more hostings in order to drop this event and this review down to the bottom. 

Advices:

You can write a more detailed description of your space in your listing. You can fill the section of "Guest Access" and make clear what a guest can access or not. 

You can write in your house rules that check-out cannot be after 11:00.

Also, you can write in the section "Interaction with guest" that sometimes your friend (her name) may welcome the guests and that she is like a part of the hosting team. 

I have realised that the more things you write, the better it is. 

Keep going and I wish you the best!

Ira

• For anyone who wants to contact Airbnb, see this thread:

• Let's all give thumbs up to hosts that help us!
Frank91
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your promt and full responce, as well  @Bob and @Allison were very helpfull. Of course I wont let this to stop me from hosting people as I have to say that being part of Airbnb is one of the nicest experiences I have had. Unfortunately there are exceptions like this one. Regarding the report to Airbnb I exactly don't know how to proceed. How am I supposed to report it and get in touch with the right people?. Thank you once again!

@Frank91 use the link that @Ange2 gives to contact Airbnb, especially the part of Resolution Center. 

Good luck with everything!

@Frank91   How horrible and truly disgusting!   Here are the many ways to contact airbnb   You can also flag the guests account for extortion etc. by clicking the small 'flag' button on their page and give them a thumbs down in the review page.  Airbnb might well delete their review because they tried to blackmail you. Good luck!

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Frank91 What absolutely horrible guests!! I can't even imagine what it must have been like to walk into your home and find THAT! 

Everyone has given you great advice here. Your place is charming! But I agree with @Ira4 - there isn't much information given as to what exactly the guests have access to, other than the living room. Rather than focusing on Edinburgh and all the wonderful things that city has to offer (and there is so much, I love it there!), maybe use the Detailed Description Area "The Space" to really describe the space in as much detail as you can?

That has anything to do with the problem you had with these guests - they would have behaved like the creeps they are no matter how much detail was in your listing. Not your fault, and nothing you could have done would have prevented them from doing what they did.

I hope you ask for compensation through the Resolution Centre - extra cleaning costs, costs of having a plumber unblock the toilet, etc.  And I hope you get some kind of reimbursement for all the trouble they caused you. All the best - Karen

Dixie2
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

I would simply state the fact that AirBnB handles all money transactions and you are restricted by their rules. Tell them to contact AirBnB themselves and I bet they don't go that far. Extortion attempt. Sorry for your experience.