Host Cancel

Marcella56
Level 1
Bellingham, WA

Host Cancel

So I recently received a message from my host a week before check-in date saying that her condo is having a vote in a couple days to disallow Airbnb rentals on the property. She said it was sort of sprung on them and apologized for letting me know last minute (I booked over a month ago for a wedding I plan on attending in the area--I booked earlier because it is parent's weekend at a big university in town as well). She wanted to give me the opportunity to cancel and get a full refund. I booked a hotel (all decent and affordable Airbnbs are taken by now) with a flexible cancellation policy so I can cancel if the vote miraculously goes in my favor because I really would prefer to stay in the Airbnb. I told her this, and she said that I need to be sure to cancel my stay.

This raises a red flag for me because if I cancel, I don't get refunded the full amount I paid (with the fees and everything). Shouldn't she have to cancel something like this on her end? I expressed this to her and she simply said "a bunch of other guests have cancelled already and had no issues." I'm not sure I want to trust someone I don't know about this. What should I do now? I really need the full refund because the hotel I got is much more expensive than I'd like to pay...Thank you in advance!

-Marcella

Edited for clarity

2 Replies 2
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Marcella56   

Here's what you do.  Call Airbnb immediately.  -1-888-326-5753 - ------> TODAY!!!!  They are open 24/7.  

FYI - your confirmed booking email from Airbnb that you received a month ago also has a customer support number for you to reach out and get assistance.   Every guests receives this number in their booking confirmation email.   

Call them today.  Explain everything that you just wrote here and they will reach out to the host to do the right thing.  All she had to do was contact ABB herself, explain the situation with her condo board and ask Airbnb to find you a new place to stay and inform them she would like to give you all of your money back.  Cancellations actually DO NOT need to be done.  

Also, you should receive 10% off your next stay.  Its standard for ABB customer support to give you this 10% coupon.  Because this is NOT your fault but the owners for not being more prepared with the legalities of hosting in an AOAO.  (most of these associations are cracking down on these things bc of the problems that guests bring to the building which is quite sad for the Airbnb host who wanted to make some money and meet some awesome people. 

There is something else you may or may not know.....you are not possibly seeing every listing.  Sometimes, listings are not shown for various reasons (yes I have experienced myself), and ABB can actually look for you.   Give them your budget, what you need, what area, and they might have another host you can book with.  ABB will move all of your monies to that booking.  Trust me, its true.  I  have helped my cousin with the same situation and they found a nicer house that was not found during the search.  ABB has the best customer service in my eyes!!!

IF ABB is able to do this, then you can cancel on your expensive hotel . But under no circumstances should you cancel for this host.  This is not your responsiblity nor is it your fault.   They are trying to avoid paying a penalty fee for cancelling on you.   They need to call Airbnb themselves.

When I had to take an emergency trip to the mainland, (Washington actually), I called Airbnb, told them I found another place for my guests, my guests had already agreed on the alternative listing, I negotiated the rate with the new host, and ABB moved my guests for me plus gave them a discount.  They actually got to stay in a beautiful home on the beach for the same rate as my home bc I asked the host to lower her rate to get the booking.  WIN WIN for everyone.  And no cancellation was done.  (I even sent an UBER car to the airport to pick those guests to make up for not having my breakfasts they were looking forward to eating).  And yes, they have promised to stay with me the next time out they come to Hawaii.  That made my day!   The new host loved them and got a 5* Star review too. 

Please let us know how was the wedding and if you were able to meet and stay with another awesome host.  I can tell you one thing, if you ever find yourself coming to Honolulu, look me  up, I make a Hawaiian breakfast every morning that is featured all over social media and mango margaritas straight off my mango tree.....come have one or two with me.  Would love to host you and show you what the ABB community is about.   :))

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Marcella56   I forgot to tell you this good news....if you ever find yourself having to cancel a FUTURE booking bc its your choice,  ABB's new policy now give guests the opportunity to cancel 3xs within a year and have your service fees refunded.   

If my advice was helpful on the first post, I thank you in advance for giving it a thumbs up by clicking on the button as well as for any other hosts who has written something helpful to the community. 

Would love to hear some good news about where you ended up staying for the fun wedding.   🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook