Host Cancellation

Answered!
Dana248
Level 2
Monroe, WA

Host Cancellation

I made a reservation and paid half of it up front with a cc. Now my host has cancelled. How do I get a refund? Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Karen74
Level 3
Morristown, NJ

If your host cancelled, you will get a full refund from Airbnb.  Just be patient for a day or two.  There is penalty to the host and Airbnb my be trying to determine what the cincumstances are.  They may also be trying to find you a comperable replacement.  

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Karen74
Level 3
Morristown, NJ

If your host cancelled, you will get a full refund from Airbnb.  Just be patient for a day or two.  There is penalty to the host and Airbnb my be trying to determine what the cincumstances are.  They may also be trying to find you a comperable replacement.  

hello,

My host cancelled, but only by message via the airbnb message, so airbnb considered that I made the stay (it was more than 10 days ago). I have been debited and I am trying to get a refund. how can I do?

thanks

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Dana248,

Welcome to the Community Center.

I am sorry to hear that your host has cancelled. I was wondering if you've been able to get a refund?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Dana248
Level 2
Monroe, WA

Hi Quincy,

I have been assured by Airbnb that I will get a full refund. They said it could take up to a couple of weeks, but that I will get one. Thanks for asking!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for letting me know @Dana248

Have a lovely day! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Dana248
Level 2
Monroe, WA

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your post. I appreciate it!

Cindy650
Level 1
Sissonville, WV

My host cancelled and I did receive a refund but the great part is Airbnb charged them a fee and removed their super host rating.  Really???  I am left with nothing.   I have no recourse and now am having trouble booking a suitable and affordable place in NYC for Christmas.  I booked in May to avoid this.  I got left empty handed and am going to have to pay more because there isn't any thing that is acceptable now in my price range.  If I had cancelled I would have lost money.  Renting thru Airbnb is risky in my opinion.  A hotel won't do this.  Questioning if I will use this service again.  There should be a very prominent disclaimer that the host can cancel at any time and you have no recourse.   I feel that I should have received something for the inconvenience or at least a comparable place to rent in the same area and price range.  This just stinks.  I typically stay silent on things and don't do reviews but now I have to start my search again.  No good reviews here. 

@Cindy650   If the host cancelled airbnb should be helping you find a similar place to stay, but of course, they can only offer the places that aren't booked.  

Christos93
Level 1
Vaughan, CA

Same thing happened to my girlfriend. She booked a place but then recieved a PM saying the host is cancelling the reservation. Will she still be refunded the funds? 

I received an email the night before check in to my Airbnb saying the listing is no longer available. But it does not show as cancelled and despite messaging and calling the host nothing has changed.  They claim they cannot cancel a booking less than 24 hours before check in, but I am worried that they are trying to make it look like we have checked in to keep the money. 

Lydia435
Level 2
Arcadia, CA

Remember the host, a super host, SEAN, for the Twin Palm property in Oceanside.  The host was unresponsive to my inquiry and message, or replied 2 days late, then he didn't like me asking too many questions, I wasn't rude or anything, then less than 3 hours before checked in, he went ahead cancelling my reservation without consulting with me.  We were already on our way to the property, our long weekend plan is ruined by this heartless person. Airbnb said they have a team to talk with him.  Four days later, he maintains his superhost status and his listing is still active.  This is so unfair.  How can Airbnb allow host mistreated guests like that.  It was for my mom's birthday celebration, a family gathering.  

@Lydia435  When a host doesn't respond to your messages, or seems irritated to answer questions, or rude, that should be a red flag and if it were me, I would have considered asking Airbnb to please cancel the booking on that basis.

Although if you are asking questions about something that is already mentioned in the ad, that you just didn't bother to read, or are asking for a host to make some exception to their rules for you, that is extremely irritating to most hosts.

@Sarah977, I didn't ask anything that's already listed, and we didn't message or I asked any questions at all after he confirmed my reservation back in March (the too many questions is what I thing the host assumed) Two weeks before check in, I messaged him stating looking forward to the stay and asked if he can turn on the pool heater for us on the day we arrive. He didn't respond. So I waited a few days and asked again. Two days later, he said he was driving and will get back to me. Didn't hear from him. Two days before check in, I messaged with the pool request and check in code ( not available on the listing). He then said will give me the code the morning of check in. May 28 my check in day, nothing. So at 1 pm, I asked for the code, I became anxious and complained, not rude at all. This time he said if I am uncomfortable with the communication, he's more than happy to cancel and refund me just let him know so that he can plan. I replied immediately telling him we are already on the road, but obviously he already cancel my reservation. Resolution center read the threads of our messages and puzzled whst caused him to do that. I am still deeply bothered by this unfairness, and use this forum to express. Just wonder Airbnb will ever do anything. His listing still active and he's still a super host. As a matter of fact, the days I reserved became unavailable within hours. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lydia435   Yes, I understand. This host sounds really irresponsible and unprofessional. In the future, take a host not answering messages or shining you on about getting back to you, not providing info, etc as a big red flag. If I were a guest, I would never just assume everything would be fine and proceed to the place.

If a host cancels a reservation, they do get penalties, one of which is that their calendar gets blocked for those dates so they can't be rebooked. But many hosts have their listings on multiple rental sites, so while they can't take another reservation through Airbnb, they can still book out those dates on another site.

Airbnb may give the host warnings, but they won't share that info with guests, just as if a guest has done something unacceptable, they won't tell hosts what actions were taken. 

Cancelling a booking isn't grounds for a host's listing to be deactivated, but if a host does it a lot, they definitely run the risk of that happening.