Host Cancellations

Natalie965
Level 2
Greensboro, NC

Host Cancellations

BEWARE: Do not trust Airbnb with any important life gatherings or events. Four months ago, my sister and I booked a two-month stay in Park City to spend the winter working remotely. On Saturday, six days before our flight is set to take off, we message our host seeing if we can get mail to the property. We get a response from the host saying that she has to cancel an entire month of our stay as the property is allegedly being sold to a new owner.

Meanwhile, my sister and I have subleased our apartments, rented cars, and planned for friends and family to visit Park City while we are there. Now that it is mid-December and six days before we are supposed to depart, there are absolutely no long-term rental options still on the market (at least not even remotely close to our price range). 

Airbnb has done absolutely nothing to help with the situation, and has not even verified the Host's claim that the house is being sold, even though there are no online records or municipal records that the house was being sold. Airbnb has offered us zero concessions and the best they did was send us a link to other homes to rent in a completely different location outside of Park City. 

We are utterly scrambling less than a week before we are set to leave to find a place to live, and Airbnb has barely shown remorse for the situation. I URGE you to consider another service before you consider using Airbnb for your next vacation.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Natalie965   I can't agree with you more.  While renting through Air BNB has many advantages, especially when seeking to be in a home for a couple of months, there is an unreliability factor you usually would not see with a hotel chain.  This is not just with Air BNB but with all platforms where individual people are participating in the hospitality industry.  In this case the home is being sold, probably in escrow now, but other situations, like death of the host or some property malfunction, could also happen.  Perhaps you can keep the month the listing is available and find another place to stay for the second month.  Good luck

I know how you feel, we booked a house two months in advance for Christmas week, we had family meeting in El Paso from 3 different States, I communicated with the host multiple times before and after the booking with the last message being answered by the host 2 days before we were supposed to check-in.  On the day we were supposed to check in about 3 hours before he sent me a text trying to blame Airbnb for double booking the reservation, of course, he was lying, he had double booked the reservation himself and the other people had already checked in the day before.  Airbnb couldn't help because there was nothing else available, we ended up finding a house on Vrbo for more than double the price for part of our stay, it's a freaking joke that hosts are allowed to ruin your vacation like this.