Host Communication

Host Communication

We booked a condo near Puerto Vallarta for 7 weeks, and are leaving in mid January. I sent the host a message with some important questions on Airbnb last Friday morning (4 days ago), and have yet to get a response. My question is, when should I start to worry about the lack of communication? I sent an email again this morning, and still nada thus far. If I don't hear back within a week is there an option to contact someone at Airbnb to see what's going on? Would that be my best option? 

Thanks in advance. 

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chuck176 you certainly can (and should) contact Airbnb if the host doesn't answer. I think a week is plenty of time for a response.

@Chuck176 

An easy first step would be to check to see if the listing is still active and if your dates appear to be available on the website.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chuck176  Yes, a host not responding for 4 days is a red flag. Good that this is coming up now, rather than closer to your check-in dates. 

One thing I can tell you is that Mexicans primarily communicate through Whatsapp, so you could try sending the host a Whatsapp message telling them that you are awaiting a response to the Airbnb message you sent 4 days ago.

Thanks, @Mike-And-Jane0, @Sarah977 , @Brian2169 ! This is very helpful. 

FWIW, the unit is still showing booked for the dates I chose. I'm hopeful this is a glitch, but am pretty nervous as some family has planned to visit and stay with us in the unit, and (including my wife and I), we now have 9 round trip tickets to Puerto Vallarta booked, 7 from the east coast! 

Good call on WhatsApp, @Sarah977 If I don't hear from her today I'll give that a try. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Chuck176  Answer to your question:  now. 

Not all hosts are super responsive, but I agree that it is concerning not hear back after 4 or 5 days, if Sarah's idea of whatsapp doesn't get a response, I would contact Airbnb directly and they can then reach out to the host.  If you do get them on whatsapp, I would reiterate whatever the conservation is/was on the Airbnb system so it is documented.  Good luck.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chuck176  "some family has planned to visit and stay with us in the unit, "

I hope you don't mean that you presume you can just have more people than you booked for? Or is this what you are trying to contact the host about?

We booked a large unit - 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms - because we planned to have family visit for a few of the weeks we are there. The host was well aware of this. 

Thanks. 

@Chuck176  Well obviously that's for you and the host to work out, some listings have the same charge for the entire unit regardless of how many guests are coming, but generally, regardless of whether there's extra charges, all occupants need to be accounted for on the booking.

On an Airbnb booking, no one is considered to be a visitor if they are actually staying there.  Everyone staying is a guest. 

And...

I just heard from the host. It figures. She was on holiday, and was apologetic about the delay. 

So... in the words of the immortal Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) never mind.

Thanks all for your responses!

never-mind.jpeg