Host Guarantee Claim - Airbnb not Responding

Cheryl180
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host Guarantee Claim - Airbnb not Responding

I've been a host in London for over 4 years and have helped most of my neighbours and friends become hosts as well. Until 2 months ago, I've never had a claim on the host guarantee. But in the last two months I've had two! Airbnb is stalling and not responding to my messages. When I call, they refuse to escalate the issue or tell me the status of the claim.

The first guest caused more than £4000 in damages by having a massive party in a two bedroom flat. They broke the sofa bed, urinated, vomited and spilled wine on the beds, carpets and walls, left over 15 50L bags worth of garbage, left over 50 bottles of alcohol and 100s of plastic cups etc... I submitted pictures of everything on the same day, cancelled the next guest and had the property deep cleaned, drains unclogged, sofa replaced, carpets and mattresses cleaned and some of the walls painted. I also submitted all the invoices within a week. 

But since then I've heard nothing from airbnb. Not even acknowledgment of my phone calls which they usually do for everything else. I've been told twice that a "dedicated case manager" will get in touch, but have not heard from anyone. 

The second incident was similar, but in a smaller scale. Similar to the first one, I submitted the pictures - even pictures of the 7 people leaving the flat with their catering equipment and food when the guest confirmed that it would only be she. Again nothing...

In both cases, the guests did not respond to my messages. I asked Airbnb to get in touch with them and to block their profiles so that they don't do the same thing to other hosts. My review would not be published for 2 weeks, leaving plenty of time for them to book other places. But again nothing... 

Has anyone experienced this where Airbnb is just not getting back to you or acknowledging your claim? What did you do? Any tips? 

I just want to know what's happening with my claim and if they need anything else from me. The first incident happened exactly 2 months ago!

1 Reply 1
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Cheryl180

I am on site so very different situation.

Personally I sould not rent out a separate property without a sizable security deposit.

As far as this sort of situation, never happened to me but have read many similar stories on this forum, how common it is impossible to tell but certainly not unusual.

Just some thoughts:

1. Use Twitter to contact AirBnBhelp, they seem more responsive.
  2. News media love these sort of stories and Journalist enquires seem to get things going
  3. Read the Host Guarantee carefully including the basis of settlement and arbitration clause.
David