Host Guarantee Is A Scam not trying to pay for my stolen property worth 25k

Michael3492
Level 2
New York, NY

Host Guarantee Is A Scam not trying to pay for my stolen property worth 25k

So I had a guest that booked my apartment for a week but i had to kick him out Friday night but didn't leave until Saturday mooring 11am. I had a nut that booked my apartment for a week but i had to kick him out because he didn't follow my house rules and took down my camera in my entryway. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after reading his reviews and his rating was 3.5.

Now fast to Friday night, I get to my luxury high-rise building around 9pm trying to get into my apartment to kick this guy out of my apartment and he locks me out. This nut puts the bolt on my door so i can't get inside of my apartment, now mind you i live in a luxury building so I'm not trying to kick my door down or call the cops and make a scene in my building. Im calling and calling this guy phone to get him out but he's not answering the phone.

So now the time is around 11pm i hear him walking around my apartment turning my tv volume up and changing channels. So i said I'm going to call airbnb to get him out, they call him he don't pick up for them neither. So not I'm going back and forth with airbnb trying to get this nut out of my apartment so now its 12am or so. I get a call from someone in airbnb talking about we can't reach him but as soon as they talk to him they will get him out.

So now I'm highly upset at this point there's nothing I can do or airbnb can do at this point. So I had to sleep in my car so i can catch this dude before he leave my apartment. So I get a call from airbnb around 6am talking about they talked to the guy and we told him to vacate my property at 8am. Now its Saturday i have things to do with my kids at 10am, so i said ok that work for me and after he leave i can pick up my kids.

8am comes around they guy still inside the apartment and hasn't left. I called airbnb telling them its 8:10am and this guy still is in my apartment. They call him and once again he isn't taking their calls. So now it around 8:45/9am I'm in the hallway hearing this guy on the phone with airbnb not trying to leave. So i called airbnb to find out what's going on way isn't he out of my apartment yet, they tell me he's not trying to leave until they find him another place to stay and that's when he's leaving.

This had me so *bleep* right now I wanted to kick my door down and get him the *bleep* out of my apartment but i wasn't going to risk me getting kicked out of my apartment. So I told airbnb this isn't my problem he needs to get the *bleep* out of my apartment they find him get another place out apartment. So now its around 10am i had to call my kids mother and tell her i had to pick up my kids at a later time.

So now its 11am this fool finally leave my apartment and i finally get access to my apartment. I didn't see him leave but when i finally got inside my apartment i just check to see if anything was broken and left to pick up my kids. So as I'm picking up my kids i get a call from my building talking about I had a guest inside my apartment doing airbnb and my building doesn't allow that, so when this fool left my apartment he went to my building and told them i was doing airbnb. Smh So now after along day out with my kids i come home to finish looking for things that was done in my apartment and that's when everything showed.

This guy done stole my Louis Vuitton lodges and i had a Safe that was hidden in my closet in a container under some clothes. All this time when he was in my apartment he was going through my stuff looking for things. I called airbnb telling they allowed this to happen by letting this nut do whatever he wanted inside my apartment. So now i call airbnb and told them what he have done and they told me to put in a claim and someone will get back to me on this matter. Ive dealt with this host guarantee before so i gave them the same amount of time to respond to me like they do when host put in claims.

They didn't respond back until 3 weeks or so later so i told them airbnb time was up, I've been calling them on this matter for weeks and no one has responded until now. Ive followed their rules but they feel airbnb rules don't apply to them only to host. Ive been dealing with a lady name TINA M. some case manager, she told me in order for me to get paid i would have to do a police report so i did that and get the report. She TINA M. then told me i would have to get the receipts for them items that was stolen but i already advised her its over the timely manner in responding to my emails. I also explained to her my receipts was in my Safe in which their guest stole from my apartment. She TINA then tells me go to the store they can still give you the receipt but i told her i paid cash for my times so they wouldn't have that.

I call the Louis Vuitton store and see if they can find my receipt but they couldn't and for my stuff that was in my Safe that was jewelry I paid cash for as well the store is closed. I got the receipt with my NAME on it for my jewelry that was stolen now she talking about it needs to have taxes on it, for people that don't know jewelry that you by in the DIAMOND DISTRACT they don't put taxes on the receipt they just put how much it cost and what you paid for it.

Like i said in the beginning I've dealt with the host guarantee before and things that i had ifs inside me apartment for guest breaking my couch and had to get it fix they didn't put taxes on the receipt, now all of sudden she talking about it need to have taxes on the receipt. I also ask TINA  to put me to a SUPERVISOR and she still haven't done so. If anyone know someone i can talk to on this matter please direct me to them. My next step is to SUE AIRBNB.

Thank you If i missed spelled word or anything please understand i was just typing trying to help some help on this matter. I'm not trying to lose 25k worth of property and nothing to be done about this.

Thank you 

24 Replies 24
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

You screwed up by airbnb'ing your apt. when you knew you shouldn't. When you got locked out there was nothing you could do because you didn't want to create a scene and alert management that you were renting the room. 

How in the world can you allow a complete stranger unfettered access to your private home and bedroom and valuables without you being there every second they are?!

I really doubt airbnb will pay you anything since it doesn't seem like you can even prove you owned these things and if you did own them you can't prove they were stolen by the guest since they removed your camera. 

How did you NOT see them leave, stealing $25k worth of your stuff? You said you slept in your car just to meet them?! I would have slept in the hallway in front of my door**.

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Q: How in the world can you allow a complete stranger unfettered access to your private home and bedroom and valuables without you being there every second they are?!

A:Well I'm kind of new to this airbnb so i didn't know all the thing people would do to stay in your apartment. Im guessing you're a host as well, so I'm wondering when you say how can you give a complete stranger unfettered access to my home without me being there every second they are? So you're telling me you know the person that you're renting your place out to huh? I guess you don't have a chain on you door? Well i took the chain off of mine because I've learned my lesson. 

Q:How did you NOT see them leave, stealing $25k worth of your stuff? You said you slept in your car just to meet them?! I would have slept in the hallway in front of my door if I was too much of a whimp to kick the door in.

A: How can I see them stealing my bags and my Safe if I'm not inside my apartment? As I said before yes i slept inside my car, i live inside a luxury building so how would i look sleeping in the hallway if my neighbors came out? My building is nothing like your place of stay so please don't try to compare my building to your lifestyle thank you. Also I have 4 elevators in my building so i guess when i was coming up he was going down.  

I tried to do a search for Lithia Springs, GA just to see your listings and how you're living to see if you could relate to my living but couldn't find you. I saw the most people are renting for out there is 160 a night and I clicked on every high price listing hoping to see you and i didn't. Therefore i understand why wouldn't understand why i wouldn't kick in my door. 

@Michael3492  your condescending response to Donald is completely uncalled for. You may live in a "luxury highrise", but your manners and language would suggest otherwise. When posting in this forum, asking for advice, it is not a good idea to insult those who respond to your post.  By the way, I absolutely agree with what Donald said about your initial post; it is very difficult to read.  Have a good day.

What are you talking about, all i was doing was answering everything he said. I guess him calling me a WHIMP for not kicking my door down was called for huh? Like i said before if you don't live in a luxury building you wouldn't understand how things work. But i guess when people post on here you can get insulted by those who respond to your post and you shouldn't respond back... You can agree with whoever you like its not my concern.. Great day Wink 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why didn’t you claim on your home insurance for STRs? @Michael3492   As you’ll know the ‘guarantee’ has so many exclusions it’s unlikely to be suitable for this sort of claim. 

Because this was what host guarantee is for isn't it? For all that why would i have go through the trouble of sending them all this information just for me to go through my insurance? But thank you...

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Michael3492  whyyou didnt call the cops?? You should call and after you will deal just with some minor troubles in your condo. 

I didn't want my building to get involved, anything that goes on in my building concierge take notes and give to the management office. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Because as @Michael3492 admitted in an earlier response -  he is using Airbnb without permission from his HOA @Flavia195  and doesn’t want to get caught out 🙂

Thank you, Yes I'm doing the same thing like MOST airbnb host. Cheers

@Michael3492  No, not like MOST Airbnb hosts. The majority of Airbnb hosts, I believe, are not illegally listing their space.

Well i dont the stats and don't think you know that stats neither... So how would you know again? 

@Michael3492  Well if you don't know the stats, then why would you make the statement that most hosts are listing illegally?

I personally know at least 20 hosts, and then there are all the hosts who regularly participate in this forum. Not one of them is renting illegally.

Yes i don't know the stats but do know I'm not the only one that's doing it. I know in NYC airbnb is illegal so how do you want to count for them? Would that be most or no it wouldn't be most?