Host Guarantee - Total BS

Emily1198
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

Host Guarantee - Total BS

Are any other hosts aware of the reimbursement request loophole that Airbnb has implemented in their "Host Guarantee" when guests damage property? I just want to make more hosts aware that in order for Airbnb to be required to reimburse you for damaged items and property, you should request reimbursement IMMEDIATELY upon finding damage. Especially if you have same day check ins. Unfortunately, I had some guests who ruined linens, comforters, and throw pillows and blankets. These guests checked out on December 31st. I met my cleaner at the house and we discovered quite the mess left behind on the 31st. I had a same-day check in that day, and had to message the guest checking in that we would need additional time to clean. My cleaner and I were cleaning until 4 PM right up until the new guest pulled up in the driveway. What a fiasco... Luckily this guest understood and was more than accommodating. Due to the New Years holiday, I did not request reimbursement from my guest on her day of check out. I also wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, and try to wash some of the linens in case they washed clean and I could still use them. But they didn't wash clean, which I discovered after finishing the wash the next morning, on January 1st. I made a reimbursement request to the previous guest on the morning of January 1st, for a reasonable $380 for blankets, two pairs of sheets, and 4 throw pillows. She declined my request and it was escalated to Airbnb.  The guest did acknowledge that she stained my "Target" sheets, which they were not, and the blanket and sham pillow cases. So, Airbnb has evidence of her admitting to staining linens in our messages, of which they can go back and audit. Today I received a message that Airbnb's Host Guarantee policy would not cover these damages because I did not request reimbursement PRIOR to the new guests checking in. They told me that due to the timeline, I would not have been able to determine if guest 1 did the damage, or the guests checking in on December 31st. RIDICULOUS. I was at the house when the guests checked out and saw the damage that had not occurred prior to their stay. It would also have been impossible for me to do a reimbursement request before new guests checked in, especially given the fact that the house was so destroyed I was cleaning up until arrived. I've called Airbnb and requested to speak with someone, but I highly doubt they change their mind and reimburse me for these damages. This is the third damage report I've had in the last year, and dealing with Airbnb has been dreadful each time. It took months for my other requests to be completed, and they always try to get out of paying. It looks like this new language regarding time lines for check ins is yet another way to cheat hosts out of reimbursements for damage. Shame on you Airbnb! You should value your hosts on top of everything else on this platform. Even the woman I spoke to gave credence to my concerns because of a same day check in. CHANGE YOUR POLICY FOR REIMBURSEMENTS  or you'll lose your so-called "valued" hosts en masse. 

2 Replies 2
Chantel54
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

I agree, it's ridiculous and I just penned this suggestion to them about this very thing. It gives us no time to clean the unit and get it prepared for a same day check-in. If the concern from there end is us being able to pinpoint who the damage was done by then they could at least give us that the claim needs to be submitted before the next guest CHECKS OUT. If a guest is still in the unit it would be clear that obviously the claim has nothing to do with them, I mean not to mention that the photos are also date and time stamped anyways. 

@Chantel54 Exactly! The new guests were still in the home the day I sent the reimbursement request on January 1st. They didn't check out until the 2nd, so there is no possible way I could have pinned the damage on the incorrect party. I said that to the analyst on the phone who acknowledged that the Host Guarantee did have some flaws for same day check ins. I wish there were an easier way to contact Airbnb and offer suggestions regarding their policies... I always seem to hit a brick wall when it comes to their assistance calls and claims analysts.