Host Not Return Deposit

Host Not Return Deposit

The issue is that I used a new account for booking. The host required us to pay a deposit due to no reviews for my account. It is reasonable and we paid it in full.

However, it has been several days since we checked out, but I still get the refund. 

We did not have any disputation. The host left me a good review and said he has done the refund. But I definitely did not get it and now I can not get in touch with him anymore. He did not give any reply.

I have raised an issue and still am waiting for Airbnb solution.

I am wondering if there is any way to argue this and push the refund procedure? Should I directly request a refund in that reservation?

8 Replies 8

@Litianyi0  If the host collected a deposit from you through the Airbnb platform, you can send a request for a refund at https://airbnb.com/resolutions

If you transferred the money in any other way, Airbnb can't do anything to help you. This is unfortunately one way people have gotten scammed. 

Thanks and I will. I paid it via Airbnb. I was not noticed either by the host or Airbnb platform that I need to request that on my own. I should really mention it in the review coz I feel like the host just didn't want to refund me.

@Litianyi0 Was this the host in China whose review appears on your profile now? This host has quite a bad reputation, with some listings averaging as little as 2.67 stars and many cancellations. It's ridiculous that Airbnb hasn't delisted them.

Anyway, you can't change your review after it's been published, but it's possible that they're withholding your refund in retaliation for the bad review you left. 

Nah, the host is in Melbourne. Alright, I can't imagine that they just did that for retaliation lol. I have raised an issue with Airbnb and will see how they will help with it.

@Litianyi0  The listings are in Melbourne but the host's profile indicates a location in China. Some of the reviews on their listings:

"Bad communication, didn’t show it interest for unhappy customer regarding the accommodation, haven’t got any refund for checking out as we discussed with host.
Haven’t received the deposit refund."

"Bad.
Won’t go there again ever"

"Cheap unstable furniture throughout the apartment. We were blamed and charged for a broken bed that wasn’t even slept in as the frame was damaged before we even got there"

"View is great. Not good value for money. The beds not as expected, host required bond which at the time of note has not responded to my message in regards to my bond which was to be sent on the day of check out. Poor communication from the host. I literally begged for the check in instructions sent 1.5 hours before check in. Overall experience, the worst. AVOID, NOT GOOD VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!"

"Don’t recommend at all they’re a bunch of liars and thieves. They take your bond and promise to pay it that same night then end up disappearing"

Are you noticing a pattern?

Yeah they are recidivists. I should have gone through all the reviews before the booking and should never put any trust on this platform as well. Hope Airbnb can help me get the refund. But truly, we should make Airbnb aware that such liars should be cleared out.

@Litianyi0   Airbnb is very well aware that these bad actors proliferate on the platform, but they don't care as long as it brings in the money.

What they do care about is bad PR, so you might get more traction sharing your experience on their social media (Tw*tter, F*c*book, etc).  Some screenshots of the past reviews indicating the host's history of dodgy business with deposits would help. 

I agree that you shouldn't put any trust in the platform itself; they don't vet or verify listings in any meaningful way, so renting a place through Airbnb is no less risky than organizing a hookup on Craigslist. In fact, most third-party brokers on the Internet (Amazon, etc) know very little about their suppliers; if there's one way that Airbnb stands somewhat apart from those, it's that reviews are mostly genuine. In the future, don't forget to check them!

Description Update: 

I still DO NOT get the refund