Host Recourse for Fake Service Animals/ESAs

in
Fredericksburg, VA
Level 10

@Lizzie As it has been made abundantly clear by hosts, AirBNB's excessively permissive attitude about Service Animals and ESAs has resulted in blatant abuse by guests bringing their pets under the guise of ESAs to AirBNBs  with very clear No Pets policies. I personally have had this happen twice.

Although we cannot question someone about their animals beyond "Is this for a disability?" and "What specific tasks is the animal trained to do?", neither of which apply to Emotional Support Animals, the fact remains that if someone requires a Service Animal or an ESA to function, that animal should be with them 24/7.  If a guest leaves their Service Animal or ESA behind in our AirBNBs while they go someplace, the animal is clearly not essential to them. In other words, the animal is a PET and not a necessity. 

Does AirBNB have a policy where hosts can claim reimbursement from guests for the extra cleaning required to remove the dander and allergens left behind to maintain their "pet-free" status? Does AirBNB have a policy for punishing guests for lying and abusing the policy?  Or is this yet another case where AirBNB leaves the hosts holding the bag  while you take your money and run?  AirBNB has no problem punishing HOSTS when they do something wrong. What about deceptive guests?

6 Replies

Re: Host Recourse for Fake Service Animals/ESAs

in
Swannanoa, NC
Level 10

@Stephanie365   The host is left holding the bag.  

in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 10

@Stephanie365  you are right and all hosts share your opinion. Airbnb shouldn't decide whom we should host for free or for a fee, it should be the host's decision.

Speaking about service or emotional support animals - if they don't get free food in the pet shop then why should they get a free stay at my house? Same with infants.

in
San Diego, CA
Level 2

Unfortunately I am dealing with this situation at the moment. I'm so sick of airbnb's lack of support for hosts. If anyone has a good solution, let me know! 

in
Arkansas, United States
Level 10

@Stephanie365 

Airbnb cannot force anyone to accept any guest into their home.

All you have to say is that the situation feels unsafe.

If they say that they are bringing animals before they arrive you can reject them on the basis that they have stated their intent to ignore the rules without going into specifics.

If they show up with animals you can refuse to accept them on the basis that it represents a safety hazard.

The ADA does not apply to private homes. Airbnb has no right to force their arbitrary rules on anyone.

They can, of course, delete your listing without offering an explanation. Perhaps they should be invited to delete all of us.

This would make someone at VRBO very happy.

in
San Diego, CA
Level 2

I'd love to hear an official @Airbnb @respond to this thread or did they create these as a way for all of us to complain but without any recourse?

in
Fredericksburg, VA
Level 10

I rarely see an actual AirBNB response. This forum is a lollipop.
They hand it to us and tell us to go sit in the corner and be quiet.