Host Recourse for Fake Service Animals/ESAs

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Host Recourse for Fake Service Animals/ESAs

@Lizzie As it has been made abundantly clear by hosts, AirBNB's excessively permissive attitude about Service Animals and ESAs has resulted in blatant abuse by guests bringing their pets under the guise of ESAs to AirBNBs  with very clear No Pets policies. I personally have had this happen twice.

Although we cannot question someone about their animals beyond "Is this for a disability?" and "What specific tasks is the animal trained to do?", neither of which apply to Emotional Support Animals, the fact remains that if someone requires a Service Animal or an ESA to function, that animal should be with them 24/7.  If a guest leaves their Service Animal or ESA behind in our AirBNBs while they go someplace, the animal is clearly not essential to them. In other words, the animal is a PET and not a necessity. 

Does AirBNB have a policy where hosts can claim reimbursement from guests for the extra cleaning required to remove the dander and allergens left behind to maintain their "pet-free" status? Does AirBNB have a policy for punishing guests for lying and abusing the policy?  Or is this yet another case where AirBNB leaves the hosts holding the bag  while you take your money and run?  AirBNB has no problem punishing HOSTS when they do something wrong. What about deceptive guests?

23 Replies 23
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Stephanie365   The host is left holding the bag.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephanie365  you are right and all hosts share your opinion. Airbnb shouldn't decide whom we should host for free or for a fee, it should be the host's decision.

Speaking about service or emotional support animals - if they don't get free food in the pet shop then why should they get a free stay at my house? Same with infants.

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Unfortunately I am dealing with this situation at the moment. I'm so sick of airbnb's lack of support for hosts. If anyone has a good solution, let me know! 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Stephanie365 

Airbnb cannot force anyone to accept any guest into their home.

All you have to say is that the situation feels unsafe.

If they say that they are bringing animals before they arrive you can reject them on the basis that they have stated their intent to ignore the rules without going into specifics.

If they show up with animals you can refuse to accept them on the basis that it represents a safety hazard.

The ADA does not apply to private homes. Airbnb has no right to force their arbitrary rules on anyone.

They can, of course, delete your listing without offering an explanation. Perhaps they should be invited to delete all of us.

This would make someone at VRBO very happy.

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I'd love to hear an official @Airbnb @respond to this thread or did they create these as a way for all of us to complain but without any recourse?

I rarely see an actual AirBNB response. This forum is a lollipop.
They hand it to us and tell us to go sit in the corner and be quiet.

Misty43
Level 4
Burbank, CA

I just had guests that covered my doorbell camera with tape then usher their dog in which I can hear barking on the camera recordings. But if they say ESA well then it's just completely acceptable. I list as pet free home. Tomorrow my pool guy will probably find hair clogging my filter and housekeeping will have to spend an extra hour or more cleaning. How is this ok? I love what @Branka-and-Silvia0  said, they don't get free food (or vet care!) for being an ESA but it should be free in my home? I just don't understand. All I want are honest guests. This is so not discriminating about animals it's about offering the appropriate accommodations, my house is not set up for animals just as some are not set up for children. We are allowed to select that in our rules, not suitable for children. We are not accused of discriminating against children? Ughhh ok thanks for letting me rant! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The first thing to do is contact the guest. Tell them to uncover the doorbell camera immediately, or else you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel their booking. @Misty43 

Remind your guests that pets are not allowed on your premises and that guests with allergies book on the basis it is a pet free home.  Ask them about the dog.

If they claim it is a service animal you are entitled to ask them what tasks it helps its owner with and confirm that as a service animal it must be with its owner at all times and therefore cannot be left at the listing by itself. 

Kristi1729
Level 1
Madison, VA

I am new to hosting (Started around Thanksgiving) what I have found is most guests tell me they have a ESA and I believe they are doing this to avoid paying the pet fee which for my property is minimal.   I have only had two guest who actually paid the pet fee.  I recently had a guest that said she was bringing a retired ESA and her current ESA.  In my opinion, I shouldn’t have to accept the retired ESA, but I was nervous to deny it.  The amount of dog hair left behind was ridiculous!  It took the cleaner a lot of extra time to get rid of the hair.  It seems guest have more rights over the property than the owner.  Is there anything we can do??

Exactly how is an ESA "retired"? An ESA does nothing except let you cuddle it.

@Stephanie365 

Retired ESA: "Look, I'm 13 years old. I've been subjected to your endless whining and moaning about your first world problems for the past 12 years. Not to mention tolerating the hugs and kisses, which are a human expression of affection that dogs don't even understand. I'm burnt out, okay? Go get yourself some young pup to help deal with your issues, I'm done."

The Americans with Disabilities Act and, in my case, Texas Accessibility Standards provide accommodations for "Service Animals". There is no requirement to accommodate "Emotional Support Animals". You do not need Airbnb's approval to refuse anyone claiming an ESA.  However, a Service Animal must be accommodated. You are allowed to ask what service a service animal provides. There's more. Read your state law.

@Bruce493  Yes, that is true legally, e.g. you probably can't be successfully sued in state or federal court for refusing an ESA.  However, Airbnb can still ban you from the platform for doing so, since their rules that hosts have agreed to, says ESAs are to be treated the same as a service animal.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

The only thing I can think of to discourage the fake ESAs is to hold those animals to the standards required of a Service Animal. Since AirBNB does not differentiate between ESA and Service Animal, if someone shows up with an ESA, the rules that apply to Service Animals will also apply to their ESA.

1. Anytime the dog is outside, per the ADA, it must be on a leash or harness under the guest's direct control.
2. Anytime the guest is outside, the dog must accompany the guest.
3. If the guest leaves the property, the dog must accompany the guest.
4. The dog will not be kenneled in the house at any time during the stay as a kenneled dog would be unable to provide services or support to the guest.