Host accepted our booking, and then CHANGED LOCATION WITHOUT NOTIFYING.

Tessa22
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Host accepted our booking, and then CHANGED LOCATION WITHOUT NOTIFYING.

S O S

Myself and bestfriend are travelling from Scotland to NY on Thursday the 5th of January. We booked an apartment in Brooklyn, Williamsburg to be precise. It was an instant book, and we booked it in September.

Today I messaged the host to confirm, and he messaged me with a different address, different amount of rooms, and all in all a different apartment and one not in Williamsburg like we wanted.

Can you please advise what to do??? We do not want to stay in the apartment that he messaged us about. Our confirmation says something completely different so obviously this is blatant false advertisement.

8 Replies 8
Waybridge0
Level 2
New York, NY

That is messed up IF the pictures dont reflect the actual apartment OR if the address is tons of blocks away from the actual location listed. But just so you will know, in all of NY, host can't always put in their actual address due to the very strict LAWS here. Host need to rent out their apartments out of necessity, but they aren't actually "allowed" to do so frequently by their landlords. Host may lose thier whole entire apartment if you say out loud that you are airbnb'ing their place... it can be a mess for the host. It's a New York thing really, and its been this way for many many years (Example: Rent controlled or Rent stabilized apartments - host pay "cheaper" rent, but can NOT sublet their place - sort of unfair, but that's the law).  

If I were you, I would call your host and have a telephone converstaion about it. If they really did put you tons of BLOCKS away from the location listed or the rooms don't look like the picture, then cancel - That's not cool!

You should not cancel. You will forfeit airbnb fees and more depending on cancellation policy. Contact airbnb asap. However, I would first confirm with host that this property is not what you reserved. Good luck.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Tessa22 How terrible this has happened to you so close to your travel date! This is just not right - your booking is for a specific property and the host can't change that to another property without your consent - and requiring that you cancel and rebook the other property. Something is very fishy here! I would avoid this host & the property at all costs. Contact Airbnb ASAP - they will help you find alternate accomodation and hopefully refund your fees on this booking as it was handled completely wrong by this host.

All ways to contact AIRbnb are here. All the best of luck! Please let us know how it turns out. Karen

Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

@@Tessa, I would follow @Karen-and-Brian0's advice entirely!

You booked a specific property. It is no matter that he may have legal regulations he is skirting, that isn't your problem! I would take the time to reach out to host one more time to say you will only stay in the listing that you contracted for.

if no answer within a short period, contact Airbnb and they will back you up. Be sure ALL communication with host takes place within the message thread on Airbnb so there is proof for everything that si said.

I wish you the best in resolving this quickly so you can enjoy your stay!

bridget

@Tessa22   Try Airbnb Twitter as well I heard it gets the fastest response. Airbnb might also help you find somewhere else in the area you booked in.  Good luck!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Tessa22 If your host cannot accommodate you in the listing you booked, you can ask for a full refund by following these procedures: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

This is best done by going to the website directly, not through an app. 

Also, I would flag the listing by using the small flag icon under the Save to Wish List area and selecting Other to describe that the host tried to get you to go to another location.  Airbnb's Trust and Safety team will investigate and take appropriate action with the host. 

Again, this is best done by going through an internet browser.)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tessa22,

I am sorry to hear this has happened with your booking. As others have said here, it is best to contact the Support Team and they will be able to assist with this and if necessary suggest some alternative places to stay during your trip. I hope you managed to get through to them and get this all sorted.

As it has been a few days now, I really hope you are now enjoying your trip to NY and are wrapped up warm as I hear it is chilly at the moment. 

Do let us know how you got on, when you have a moment. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Tessa, what ended up happening with your trip?

🙂