Host accepted payment then tells me guests will be prosecuted as trespassers?

Answered!
Hillary15
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Host accepted payment then tells me guests will be prosecuted as trespassers?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are going to Thailand in November. We thought Airbnb would be a good site for our travels. I don't have much experience with Airbnb, I've only used it once before. The place we booked in Bangkok accepted our payment and then sent us an information package via email.

In the email it said that there are posters posted in the building saying Airbnb guests are not allowed and guests can be jailed as trespassing! He said it really shouldn't be a problem and insist we are staying with friends. Needless to say I'm a little scared!

I have no idea what to do? Does anyone have experience with this?

Any help will be so appreciated!

1 Best Answer

@Hillary15

It seems your host is "hosting" from a building that does not allow the tenants/owners to sublet or have short-term stay rentals (basically what Airbnb is).

I actually stayed at a place like that when I was travelling Japan. On the day of check in, the host told messaged me that if the guard out front asks I should say "I'm staying with my friend 00000 in unit XX" (no idea who 00000 was - not the name of our host, and we were not staying in unit XX) Also there were signs all over the house warning guests not to open the door if someone comes knocking because it could be someone from the residents' committee and the host could get in trouble AND the guest might also be inconvenienced.  

I suggest you contact Airbnb, explain the situation, and ask that your reservation be cancelled with no penalties so that you can make reservations elsewhere. Good luck~

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Hillary15. Such an action is unacceptable from a host. You should contact Airbnb Customer Service asap providing them with a copy of the message you have received from that host. It might be a scam.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Hillary15

It seems your host is "hosting" from a building that does not allow the tenants/owners to sublet or have short-term stay rentals (basically what Airbnb is).

I actually stayed at a place like that when I was travelling Japan. On the day of check in, the host told messaged me that if the guard out front asks I should say "I'm staying with my friend 00000 in unit XX" (no idea who 00000 was - not the name of our host, and we were not staying in unit XX) Also there were signs all over the house warning guests not to open the door if someone comes knocking because it could be someone from the residents' committee and the host could get in trouble AND the guest might also be inconvenienced.  

I suggest you contact Airbnb, explain the situation, and ask that your reservation be cancelled with no penalties so that you can make reservations elsewhere. Good luck~