Host account ghosting

Murphy1
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Host account ghosting

In January my partner took her life in the flat we shared and hosted two listings from. At the time I had two running bookings  and unfortunately I could not contact airbnb support as was on hold with the Urgent number for 6 hours immeadiately after I found her body. This was purely to try and find alternate accomodations for my guests as the police had cordoned off the apartment while forensics operated. Even the police could not get through on the Urgent number although they only tried for 30 minutes. After 6 hours of being on hold I decided to create a twitter account and post directly to support. Within 5 minutes I had someone helping me with my case. I was then told there is a seperate non listed number for law enforcement to contact airbnb directly. Unfortunately I don't consider this situation happening again realistically so the number was rather moot. 

I had to cancel 3 bookings in Febuary and March as I was unable to stay in the apartment and had to pay £80 booking fines for breaking the hosting contract. I didn't complain or try and get the money back and in the end of March began to host again from bookings that were made before the incident in January. However since that time my account has been unable to be relisted and is 'ghosted' where there is a cookie associated with my account and browser so that for all intents and purposes it looks like everything is running normally except for the inability to list my rooms. However when I try and look at the url for a room or my profile using a differnt ip or incognito browser it is stated that my profile no longer exists. 

I've been a host since 2010 with exceptional reviews, superhost for 5 of those years and not a single negative in the whole time and didn't even have to cancel a booking until last year. I've over 200 feedbacks and don't understand why this is happening to me? I've been creating support tickets for the last 9 days and not had a single response. I have called the urgent number but having to listen to the hold music again (this time a merciful 20 minutes) is triggering lots of emotions I had packed away since that terrible night. 

Do I need to create a twitter account again to get a resolution to this or at least told what terms and conditions I have broken to deserve this treatment? I've been an ambassador and was part of the site when small helping to grow its user base. 

Yours faithfully,

Murphy **

4 Replies 4
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Murphy1

Yes, Twitter is the way to get support reasonably quickly.

Murphy1
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

It ridiculous that companies this big now only care about public facing support requests where a VC or investor can gauge the incidences of user unhappiness without having to ask for internal data. If you want to contact through the channels they provide your out of luck.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Murphy1

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have never had problems getting through to the UK number usually getting answered within 10 minutes. I am not sure what happened for you, but I would try calling them again.

Did you explain the tragic circumstances surrounding your cancellations. They should uphold their extenuating circumstances policy, however this was quite a few months ago, so I am not sure how this would work.

Twitter works well.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Wow, what a horrific experience for you Murphy! First, I'm sorry about your partner passing. You should receive an award for considering your guests during such a time!

By now, I hope it's all worked out with AirBnB and you have been able to return to being the SuperHost you had been before. 
Unlike others in this thread, in the USA Twitter has not gained me much help. 
I do now use other rental platforms, as the customer service has continue to decline. I found that www.airbnbhell.com has been at least useful for recommending the better sites to use. 
I would think your story would be one they would want to use too!