Host accusing of damages

Host accusing of damages

Hi all I was hoping someone could help with this issue. 

I've read a few threads with similar situations but couldn't find anything that is as complicated as mine.

I stayed at this AirBnb 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. One of the guests had a black bath bomb from Lush which is made of organic matter so should wash off with water. Unfortunately there were scratches on the bath tub that were there previously, but the bath bomb colour made it more accentuated. 

Now the host, after leaving me 5 stars review saying that I left the house clean, messages me a week later accusing us for leaving the scratches on the bathtub and complaing that we left the house a mess. They have requested $220, no receipts or photos. 

We didn't damage the tub as the cuts and scratches were already there. And it's not unsual for people to use coloured bathbombs which wouldn't stain unless the bathtub was already damaged and we didn't know.

I offered to pay some for someone to try and clean it but not to fix those scratches. 

Airbnb is taking a while to respond and I've already escalated to Resolution Centre.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you

2 Replies 2
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Raquel279

Sorry to disagree but Lush Products arn't all singing and dancing organic stuff,  They may be vegan but they defo contain chemicals (often to replace the animal content used in other products).

Sadly i'm aware of this because Sulphates give me really bad skin issues and in the entire store there are less than a handful of actual natural products.

And yes they can stain and damage baths. So if you left and days later after cleaning, the marks are still showing on the bath tub, i'd say your bath products are the issue here.

After all you've said any scratches couldn't be seen before, so any other guests now seeing scratches, are only seeing them because of one of your parties actions....

Laurent308
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

The only thing you can do is work through the resolution center. 

Mom the other hand it was pretty stupid to use a bath bomb. When I stay at people places I trying not to do unordinary things to avoid any damages and to respect the place.