Host action within 24hrs to avoid negative impact to listing

Answered!
CostAndaluza0
Level 2
Barbate, Spain

Host action within 24hrs to avoid negative impact to listing

Hi,

I still don't quite "get" what we need to do in certain circumstances within 24hrs to avoid any negative impact to our listing. We always try to reply to a guest within 24hrs - if the guest then doesn't get back to us before the end of the period, what should we do to avoid negative impact? We can't ACCEPT and DECLINE just feels.. well, wrong!

Thanks in advance for any useful help here!

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The countdown indicates the period during which you must either accept or decline. You can chat as much as you wish within that timeframe. It should be enough time to make a decision- if not then always decline and let the guest know they can get back in touch once they have decided/considered your offer etc

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The countdown indicates the period during which you must either accept or decline. You can chat as much as you wish within that timeframe. It should be enough time to make a decision- if not then always decline and let the guest know they can get back in touch once they have decided/considered your offer etc

Ok. But often we reply to them and hear nothing back. Is a Decline really the only thing to do? Airbnb info says that Declines will negatively impact your listing (ie move it down the search results).

Hrvoje1
Level 3
Split, Croatia

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

I completely agree. You should always accept / decline. This will only promote you as prompt and reactive host, and will not leave negative impact on your listing as long as you accept some of the offers.

Ok, just wanted to check that those are the only two options, and that it's best to rack up the Declines (where necessary of course!) instead of passing the 24hrs waiting for the guest to respond.

Thanks Hrvoje and Gerry and Rashid

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

From my knowledge, as long as you RESPOND to the message within the 24 hour time frame, you are in the clear.  That doesn't mean you have to accept/decline them within that time - you just need to address their message and respond to it.  You're absolutely right, if you respond once and they don't respond back within 24 hours, how can you be expected to accept or decline based on one interaction.  This is the process I use and my response rate is always 100%.

@CostAndaluza0  @Cynthia-and-Chris1  That is my understanding too for Inquiries,  I do it the same way and I also have a good response rate. I never press decline if they have not responded to my questions. The few times I did I was penalized!

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @CostAndaluza0, airbnb gathers data on which inquiries/requests you accept and decline to use in the search.  I agree that it is best to decline/accept before the end of the 24 hour period.  I often use the reason "other" and remember to uncheck the box to leave the dates available. 

You may be interested in the webinar "How Search Works" from August 2016.  You can access it here under "host webinar series" (the last toolkit icon):

airbnb-toolkits.schoolkeep.com