Host amenities

Hung8
Level 2
San Bernardino, CA

Host amenities

I have been staying with my host for over 8 weeks now, we are moving on to our last 2 weeks.

I have been really grateful of her not charging any utilities on me as she and I have agreed to keep cost low and if it is low at the end of the month, then she considers it to give it to me. This includes water/electricity/gas/wifi.

With careful ration of these utilities the costs have been low as she have informed me. But there is on utilities that I have been probably overused in the first few weeks in and have caused the router of her room to blacked out for a few moments here and there. But we were able to come to a resolution that have stopped the outage of thing for a while now. But recently as she moved her stuffs around in her room, because the router is in her room, the wifi went out/in of life many times, and it finally *dies* as she has informed me. 

I am an addicted gamer, my usage of wifi has been surprisingly 151.1 GB in the last month alone was used on Wifi both at work and at home. I can't separate how much for each but generaly speaking it is quite a lot, though even though, not all for gaming, for work as well.

I spent Almost 12 hours a day at work for 7 days a week. And I only spend around 5 hours awake at home the begin my day the next morning. I spent 24/7 for the weekend though.

So with this, I need the wifi to be on.

But as she has informed me as well, that she might not be able to get it back online for quite sometimes, maybe even after I leave (in 2 weeks). That left me 4 weekends without it from this point. So a solution she suggested, is to buy her a new router. 

I don't know what to do, since i have a limited budget, and no knowledge of wifi network what so ever. I can't argue with her because she has been giving me all these stuffs for free (utilities costs) . 

Please help me to solve this problem, and what do you think I should do.

I am currently thinking of going to a mc donald or something just to keep in touch with net. 

3 Replies 3
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Hi. Sounds like a difficult situation, as it's not your fault the router has broken (you didn't drop it!), and I presume the listing had 'wifi' as an amenity. But, your host has also been geneous.

Have you checked the price of a router? Here in the UK they can cost less than £20 new. Or, under £10 on Ebay. As a host, I would want to replace the router. But, to avoid an argument and in recognition of your hosts generousity, I would recommend going on Ebay now and picking up a second-hand router which could be with your on Monday!

This is correct, it is provided as an amenities. But taking up to your suggestion, I will find a budgetted router to replace the "old" one, I am not an expert in this field, so i dont know the one I am going to buy is a new one (better one) or bad one (worse quality) I will ask her about the model, and let's see if I can replace this.

Thanks you 

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Good luck! I'm almost certain you'll be able to find the exact same model on Ebay or in a local store. Just look for the model name/ code on the router and Google it.