Host asking for passport copies

Answered!
Bruna-Ayako0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Host asking for passport copies

Hi! I've used Airbnb a couple of times, and it's the first time my host asked me for the Passport copies. I'm hosted in Portugal and she said it's for paying taxes. I distrusted this information of her request because I always talked to my host in Portuguese and just this message was sent in English.

Anybody know if is it common ask passport information in Portugal? And is safe to provide this information?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

"The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws." 

You can read more about this by clicking here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138

Hi

here is Spain ...

http://www.interior.gob.es/web/servicios-al-ciudadano/normativa/leyes-organicas/ley-organica-4/2015-...

Happy reading. 

Saludos

Martin

PS Some of us are now using the app that takes a photo of the ID or Passport and sends all relevant info to GC - It is governed by GDPR .

Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Laura2801
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Wanting to pick this back up...

I was just told by a host in Athens for an Airbnb I've booked, that I will need to send a photo of my passport to them for tax purposes and that it is Greek law. 

I'm hesitant...is this legit? any links to support this?

Laura3183
Level 1
Miami, FL

Currently staying at an AirBnb in Seville, Spain and came across this thread after I searched about it. It’s a total of three guests, myself, my mother and my sister, and we were asked by the co-host for our passports in order to forward the documentation slip to the “Spaniard Police”. He also mentioned something about the tourism laws; they are required to prove that the apartment is being used as an accommodation space “hotel” and not being actually used for rent or other living situation. My family and I did feel pretty uncomfortable giving that out, but what can you do? We’ve been up since 4 A.M. and our flight landed at 7 A.M., check in was at 11 A.M. and the Uber ride was 20 minutes, so you can imagine we just went with it for the sake of getting some sleep and not having to go through the hassle of some other location

859F6651-D9C4-400B-9248-49DF834B27F3.jpeg

Hi

as before-  in Spain it is mandatory for hosts to register guests with the Guardia civil within 24 hours.

The Guardia civil and usually the insurance advises hosts not to hand over keys before having this form or the data of it.

Therefore sending a copy of your ID to a host may well speed up your welcome process.

The form on the photo reflects exactly what is required.

It even has the GDPR regulation (Data protection regulation) on it!!!

Anything else just ignore, it is the hosts problem to make sure all other papers regarding hosting are ok.

What the host actually meant was that this apartment or house is licensed for tourism (short stay) it can not be used for long term rent. 

It is not on the form shown,  but simply by putting the leaving date on it clarifies that this is used as tourism accommodation.

So don't worry. Enjoy your stay

Martin

Lorenzo479
Level 1
Chavannes-près-Renens, Switzerland

Nkuntima0
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

@ Patricia823, here is the link for the info requested.

https://www.alesclarecimentos.pt/travelers/

Dev368
Level 1
England, GB

We have a similar situation. Planning to go to Lisbon in four weeks and have been asked for our passport details. I’m not sure how safe it is to send this via Airbnb so I suggested WhatsApp which they agreed to. So my question is is it safe to send such info via Airbnb or WhatsApp?

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

Hi

Airbnb runs https which is end to end encryption WA runs end to end as well.

So it is OK.

M

What about their staff, what about when they're hacked-you think they'll tell you ? A credit card is quite sufficient unless maybe if you book last minute .

You seem to have an incorrect understanding what end to end encryption is used for.

The only guarantee of end to end encryption mechanisms is that the sensitive information is secure whilst in transit. There is no guarantee whatsoever that the receiver will do the right thing to safeguard that sensitive information after it is received.

Let's imagine a scenario where a host asks you to send your passport photo via WhatsApp, and you do it because you know WhatsApp uses end to end encryption and you think that, as you said, "it is OK". What you didn't know is that this host prefers to save all passport photos they receive via WhatsApp to their laptop. So you send a photo of your passport and they use WhatsApp Web on their browser to save it to their laptop. You go and stay at their property, everything is fine, you have a lovely time, you return home. A few months later the host's laptop is stolen. Now the thief has access to your passport photo, not to mention the passport photos of all the other guests who stayed with this host.

As you can see, it didn't matter at all that you used WhatsApp, believing that it was safe to do so because it has end to end encryption. The host failed to keep your sensitive information safe and now it's in the hands of a thief. I don't know about you but I sure would lose sleep over this.

Just because a system uses some form of end to end encryption mechanism doesn't mean that your sensitive data is safe no matter what.

Andrew1874
Level 1
England, GB

I've just sent my driving id but it was refused as I covered my number...what a joke as if they're going to pay the DVLA to check the number. You can bet your life these guys will be hacked and also that they won't tell you... Next thing someone has a passport\driving licence then credit card in your name...

Airb&B you won't be getting it or any more bookings

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

Hi sorry you feel like that BUT we as hosts have to disclose full details to the powers that be - In Spain it is Guardia Civil - A driver ID without the number is not a valid ID. One can't enter it into their systems so one cant register a guest.

Driver ID may only be used in certain circumstances (e.g. when stolen, etc ...)  - normal is passport or ID which UK does not do.

And yes even the servers of the Guardia civil can be hacked 

Anyway UK no longer part of EU ... so its passport or nothing.

Mallorie6
Level 2
Charleston, SC

I was asked to provide passport number via what’s app. They said it’s so they can provide to security personally at the apartment we’re staying at. Is this normal?

Hi

normal is relative. If they mention security in the description or gated community etc. I assume it is  a pre reg for guests if you are worried send it via Airbnb message.