Host asking for passport copies

Answered!
Bruna-Ayako0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Host asking for passport copies

Hi! I've used Airbnb a couple of times, and it's the first time my host asked me for the Passport copies. I'm hosted in Portugal and she said it's for paying taxes. I distrusted this information of her request because I always talked to my host in Portuguese and just this message was sent in English.

Anybody know if is it common ask passport information in Portugal? And is safe to provide this information?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

"The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws." 

You can read more about this by clicking here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138

I know your comment is a few years old, but I am just getting this request for the first time and feel a bit anxious Also sharing all of these details via Airbnb. Did your trip work out okay?

-t

Helen883
Level 1
Beeston, United Kingdom

We are in a similar situation.  We have been asked by a host in Italy to provide copies of passports for tourist tax registration.  I understand we need to register and pay the tax, I don't have a problem with that.  But I am very uncomfortable about sending copies of passports in advance via WhatsApp!

Have you travelled yet?  What did you do in the end?

Ensure that you are a 'government verified ID' guest on your profile.

I suggest that people unhappy to send a full scan of their passport

that they scan the passport and then use some photo tool to

obscure and disturb info like last 4 digits etc

Then send the semi info with the message

'I am a verified guest on my profile and you have sent some details of my ID

which i am happy to show you iin full in person when i arrive so that we can enter

the information into the local government secure website as required by

your local regulations. I hope this meets with your agreement'

Hello!

I am a host in Athens, Greece.

There is also a greek law that force us to declare income from renting the house. However, I find it so hard sometimes to obtain a photo of ID or passport from a guest. Could I report it somehow on airbnb platform?

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Dimitra9,

I don’t know the Greek law, but usually it is not needed to obtain a copy of the passport. Just part of the information on the passport will do.

Make sure, you have a link available to an official site with the text of the law (In your case, most likely in Greek) + a link available to a proper link to an English site, which affirms these laws.

Some guests just don’t seem to get it. Simply because they are not used to it in their own country (especially from certain countries). In the majority of Europe it is mandatory nowadays 😞

Hello!

@Dimitra0

Could you please post the official link from your government about ID?

Also, does this requirement has to be done Before the check-in date or the at the check-in?

Thank you

Hugo42
Level 1
Quarteira, Portugal

Yes, a legal one always asks for ID. In Portugal is no longer legal to keep a document like a passport or national ID card nor making unauthorized copies (photos). Hosts can still ask for it but guests can decline. If you don't have issues with host taking photos of your id let them. It should speed the register process. This was the old way (few hotels still do it).

I now have a simple paper form with the required fields (in Portuguese and English to allow guests to be confident with this) that I quickly and personally fill in a minute at arrival. Like in a hotel when you check in.

I know some hosts who just give lock codes ask for this info right after the reservation is confirmed.

Airbnb should have the Schengen Country List visible but guests should inform themselves as this is part of the visa information about all these countries. 

Amanda142
Level 2
Bondi Beach, Australia

In Spain the host photographed my passport without asking me. I was taked aback at this but now being a host I think I would like to verify people by their passports ,after all they are entering your home and if there is a problem by having their passport no. might stop and make them think twice about lifting articles or causing damage and not wanting to pay for it.

Im all for a passport photo with their permission it makes you feel protected as they can be stopped at airport .

Erica31
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I have a Host in the Phillipines asking for copies of our Australian passport.  She says because the building manager needs it for the "lease".  As we are guests / vistors staying for 3 nights, it seems a bit over the top.

I am a bit worried with fraud, that someone might do something illegal with the information. Or if we get put on a "lease" which is a legal document, that in Australia commits the person to live there for 6-12 months.

Any ideas from those who have been to the Phillipines?

Thanks, Erica

@Erica31,

"needed for the lease" sounds strange to me.

To present a passport at arrival without giving it out of my hands is common in many countries, but anything else (I think) needs to be justified with at least some kind of legal, statutory or tax documentation, but definitively not a lease contract requirement. 

Why doesn't Airbnb weigh in on this.? I was asked to photograph my passport and send it with my deposit for a place in London. I refused.  I quite amenable to showing my passport upon arrival but copying or photography is a bit over the top. Remember, us visitors have already been subject to passport control and filled out a landing card in places like the UK. The gov already knows we're in the country and we are already registered. all the hotels I ever stayed at in Europe merely required me to show my passport upon arrival - that's all. what guaratee do I have that my phoo file will be deleted or hard copy shredded by shadow owners?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@David2305 they know that you are in the country but not the location and it seems they need that too. If not registered with all the personal info within 24 hours of arrival, hosts can pay huge fines. And not to mention if the guest needs hospital care or they break the law and the host hasn't sent their info to the police they risk criminal charges. So that is why it is so important for the host to fill out the papers.

My 13 year old daughter rented a place in bangkok for one night for a party through air bnb. All children were 12-14 years old. Illegal activities were conducted in that room. If the host did ask for passport , none of this would be possible. How can you even say it’s illegal to ask for copy of the passport ?? Did you ever think about underage kids renting air BnB for their parties ?? As a parents I’m furious and suing the host for not checking children’s ID’s 

You're furious with the host? What makes you think the host even lives near there?- they could live 500 miles away and use a property manager. If the place has self-check-in, the host or manager may never even meet the guests. And there is no requirement for hosts to check guests' passports- only in some countries is that info required to be registered with the local authorities.

And how was your daughter able to make a booking? 18 is the minimum age to open a Airbnb account. So your daughter either submitted fake ID or got someone else with an account to book for her.

It sounds to me that you want to deflect blame for your daughter's behavior and you not having control of your daughter- how does a responsible parent not keep track of what their 13 year old is up to?

@ELITE-Gymnastics0

Host asked to contact her on private messenger and make directly to her local account. We live in Thailand. It is mandatory that any host requests a passport and register with immigration Office within 24 hrs. It is not convenient  for hosts but it is requested by the law. She could have asked to send her copy by email but she never wanted to pay Tax (as we call it VAT) in Thailand. And my daughter is punished, don’t worry. But hosts who don’t follow the law of the country the own accommodation in must be punished too.