Host being rated for "Respects house rules"

Answered!

Host being rated for "Respects house rules"

I'm a host and I was was given an overall rating from a stay of 4 stars.  On closer examination, the guest had left me 5 stars in all categories.  I called airbnb customer service and asked why my stars were 4 and not 5 and they replied with, "because your guest left the stars blank in the category "respects house rules.""

I asked for their policy on "Respects house rules" as it applies to a host and neither the agents or supervisors could give me anything on it.  They're just telling me to accept it.  I asked other hosts around me if they're rated in that category and their responses have been "no."

One supervisor thought it was a glitch, but the tech team threw it back and said it wasn't.  He said guests do not rate hosts for respecting their own house rules.  They're refusing to make the correction for their error.  Meanwhile, I'm being excluded from searches because of their error.  Airbnb is punishing their hosts and telling them to accept what is being given to them even though they ALL acknowledged it as being wrong.

1 Best Answer

102 Replies 102

@Breighana0 this does not make sense and your copies of what you think happened does not add up . If you received four stars then you should easily see why without asking Airbnb. Unfortunately guests can give you an overall four stars while giving you five stars in every category . Who knows why they do it but they do . I have had it happen to me twice. I agree it should not happen but it does.H

20220929_093530.jpg

Did you call airbnb and have them20220929_093530.jpg give you the reason why there was four stars?  I just told someone I know and he's got 2 also.  If you call them, they will give you the reason why it is 4 overall as there are categories we cannot even see like "respects house rules."

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Breighana0 when you look indoor listing under insights and then quality I believe you will find 5x5star overall ratings and 1x4 star overall ratings which averages to the 4.83 stars that is displayed with your listing. You can also dig down into how guests rated you on the other things like cleanliness etc. but these do not affect the listings rating.

Other than the usual BS from customer support who often don't explain things properly I am failing to see what the problem is.

I do understand what you're saying, but I was given 5 stars across the board as the "supervisor" had said.  What affected my score as again, the supervisor has said, is "respects house rules."  It was not the mosquito rating one.  It was a previous stay.  Every cs agent and supervisor I have talked to (2 supervisors and I lost count how many ambassadors *maybe 6 or more) has said that "respects house rules" is the lone reason for my lowered rating.  They have all said that they have not encountered this, and that they can see it, but guests and hosts cannot see it.  Both of you make sense and I do understand that is how it is supposed to work, but the issue lies with this category as they have stated the reason as being "she left the stars for "respects house rules" blank.

When I said in the beginning the overall rating for that stay was 4 stars, let me clarify...The rating I received was 4 stars.  my overall was given 5 stars, as was all the other categories.  This is why it was escalated as I was told "respects house rules" should not affect the overall rating, but for some reason it has.  No host is supposed to be rated in this category as it is for hosts to rate quests only.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you look at your ratings you will see you've been marked down for accuracy and location @Breighana0 

i can't see which guests marked you down for this but certainly some have.

you can see your individual guest ratings @Breighana0 

I see that but for this stay alone, I was given 5 stars in all categories, yet received 4 due to "respects house rules" stars being left blank.

I'm a host.

@Breighana0 have you looked in insights at your quality stats? It is all in there and then we can discuss the true position

I would like to let you all know that you are ALL subject to the rating of "respects house rules." A guest can rate anyone in this category and it will affect your rating.

They stated they do not have a policy in place and cannot explain the rating as it applies to a host. 

So I would go back and check your stays and if you have 4 stars on your stays, you may have been subject to "respects house rules" being left blank like mine.

@Breighana0 you keep showing what support are telling you. What does your listing tell you for the ratings you have been given?

It tells me that I have 5 stars for everything including overall, but next to her name it says 4 stars.  The reason is because she left the category "respects house rules" blank.  The explanation was that she was confused as to why she (as a guest) is rating me (the host) on respecting my own house rules.  That's like if I stayed at your airbnb and left "respects house rules" on my rating for you blank.  you would then get an overall rating from airbnb of 4 stars.

This is exactly how they explained it.  My question is why hosts are being rated by guests on respecting house rules, and why is there no policy outlining what that exactly means (which they have none)