Host called for jury service and having to cancel bookings because of it

Bobby211
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Host called for jury service and having to cancel bookings because of it

I have been called for jury service in Scotland. As a host I may now have to cancel guests bookings, some at short notice, as I have no one else to do meet and greet, the cleaning etc.

How do I go about this without being penalised by Airbnb?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bobby211  You could try contacting Airbnb, submitting the proof of being called to jury duty, explain that you don't have a choice- that you are legally  required to do this, and ask them to do neutral cancellations (no penalties to you). Which they may or may not be willing to do. 

A friend of mine managed to get herself excused from jury duty once (she was recovering from cancer treatment), so I know it's possible, but when she was called again, she couldn't get out of it the second time.

You say you have no one to take over hosting for you, which I can relate to, I've never had either, but maybe you could contact some hosts who live nearby and see if they'd be willing to take it on?

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Bobby211, @Sarah977 

Conversly, I spent most of my employment years in the payroll management field.  I was called twice for Jury Duty and wanted to do my duty.  However, because of my payroll duties and circumstances, at those times, it would have impacted several 100 pay cheques, I didn't have a choice  but to have my employer exempt me.  As well, my 80+ mother in law, using a walker was called to jury duty.   She did not have the capabilities to serve as a juror.  Point is that if you can prove you case to the appropriate legal authority, they will at least review your situation.  Not that I am advocating not attending jury duty, but I do believe, at least in Canada, that we have a system that allows for valid reasonable exemptions or deferrals.

IMHO, I don't  know your local legislations, however, I think that if you can provide reasonable proof (i.e. legal contract of your Airbnb booking self employed commitments and financial impacts) to your local jury authority, you may be able to be exempted or deferred from jury duty.

Best wishes.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

In Australia you can get exemption if you are self employed. Your country is possibly the same.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bobby211 As you get several months notice of jury duty there should be no need to cancel guests at short notice. Jury service is explicitly excluded from Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy so any cancellations should be penalised by Airbnb which is fair given the disruption you will be causing to your guest's trips.

Actually it would be short notice, since you get notified several months ahead of time to be available in a variable timeslot of a few months. Then you get called in, relatively short notice,  and may  or may not get selected. I wouldn't cancel anyone until I was certain I  would serve. And  even then you don't know how long you will be needed. Could be a couple of days, weeks, who knows. Local average here is 5 days. I am going through the same here, but not currently hosting so not an issue.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Bobby211 

could you not ask a local cleaner to do the turnovers for you ?