Host canceled question

Answered!

Host canceled question

Hi Community,

NooB here on AirBnB, so sorry for the stupid question 🙂

We have been looking at many places to stay and sometimes we see 

"The host canceled this reservation ..... before arrival"

With the extreme being "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival."

Now I have a question about this, if this is going to happen and you have (Non-Refundable) Airplane tickets, ongoing travel arrangements etc etc to the place where you are going to stay what is going to happen ! Finding a new room on such short notice must be a nightmare especially if you are going in High Season !

A little bit worried about this so thanks for any insights !

Thx

M&M

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As a traveler on Air BNB, I was also concerned about the potential for cancellation for the reasons you cite, @Michael992.  The cancellation notice is an automated posting with no explanation as to why the cancellation.  For me, the only acceptable reasons are under the extenuating circumstance policy which include personal illness or problems with the listing such as loss of power or weather related circumstances.  However, if any of those reasons occur, the host cancellation penalties are not assess.

As a traveler there are two things you can and should do to protect your plans.  First you should get travel insurance because there are your circumstances that will interfere with your plans.  Second, when searching for a place, use the filter for Super Host as a host cannot have a cancellation within a year of meeting Super Host criteria.  

Of course, you should always contact Air BNB for help with relocation if the host cancels, especially if there is little warning.  You should have a phone number for contacting Air BNB on your reservation confirmation.  Hope this helps

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

Host cancelation messages can be for a miriad of reasons: mutual agreed cancellation, guest would not comply with house rules (asking to bring more people than allowed, a pet, negotiating price at last minute, safety concerns...). I wouldn't worry if a host had just 1 of those and a whole bunch of good reviews. You can also reach out to the host before you book with a friendly hello and why you are staying, a good connection right at the beginning is always welcome.

Good luck and enjoy your stay

Hi,

thanks for the answer and it makes perfect sense what you say, but it doesn't answer my question what is going to happen if (for example) the host cancels the reservation 2 days before we arrive. If that happens we are stuffed as we need to leave our home at least 1 day before we fly because of that we live far away from the airport. 

just wondering what happens then ?

thx for any insights. 

There is an Airbnb phone number on your reservation. You can call them and they will try to "rehome" you. Its not unlike what a hotel does when they overbook, they will try to find you accommodations at another hotel nearby.

Vanessa & Kurt are correct. This is the best course of action in this situation.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As a traveler on Air BNB, I was also concerned about the potential for cancellation for the reasons you cite, @Michael992.  The cancellation notice is an automated posting with no explanation as to why the cancellation.  For me, the only acceptable reasons are under the extenuating circumstance policy which include personal illness or problems with the listing such as loss of power or weather related circumstances.  However, if any of those reasons occur, the host cancellation penalties are not assess.

As a traveler there are two things you can and should do to protect your plans.  First you should get travel insurance because there are your circumstances that will interfere with your plans.  Second, when searching for a place, use the filter for Super Host as a host cannot have a cancellation within a year of meeting Super Host criteria.  

Of course, you should always contact Air BNB for help with relocation if the host cancels, especially if there is little warning.  You should have a phone number for contacting Air BNB on your reservation confirmation.  Hope this helps

Hi @Linda108

thanks a lot.

One remark though If I may, will travel insurance pay out when a host cancels, I sincerely doubt that, but your point is 100% clear.

thanks guys, really appreciated and you have set my mind at ease

@Michael992  If a host cancells, you will be refunded the full amount of your reservation.  However, that might not cover all expenses related to having make a change in your plans.  That is what the travel insurance would cover.

Travel Insurance would probably not cover it, you get your money back.

Things can happen wherever you book, whichever way you book, AirBnb will help you find somewhere else to stay.

David
Julie1107
Level 2
Oregon, United States

I made Airbnb reservations in downtown Seattle ("Allied" Airbnb) 3 months in advance, knowing my flights and other activities were dependent on being in Seattle on a Saturday night in August.  Less than 2 weeks before my trip, the host canceled my reservations.  There were no comparable Airbnb openings, and certainly no comparable hotel openings.  Staying in Seattle was impossible.  I had to cancel activities and paid $125 per ticket (x2) to change reservations and go home sooner.  Of course, I got a refund, but this completely soured my taste on Airbnb.  Folks should be warned.  If there is nothing available, they can't offer you an alternative.  I should not have to pay for travel insurance because I am worried that a reservation will be canceled by Airbnb.

@Julie1107  I totally sympathize with the situation you experienced. If I made a booking 3 months in advance, I'd check in with the host once or twice after that just to make sure all was still good for your stay. But if their mom was just hospitalized, or they had a house fire, they aren't really left with much choice. Or if they just discovered they had bedbugs- I'm sure you wouldn't want to stay there, right? Guests cancel bookings all the time, sometimes an hour before they were due to arrive, after the host has spent hours cleaning and preparing for the guest. 

A good host will let you know if they have to cancel a booking, why it is necessary. Most hosts don't cancel bookings unless there is really a good reason to.

Emalyn0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi, I had similar situation now and I'm really worried. I have booked the place one year ahead where I'm supposed to stay there next year February, since it stated there the place is always in demand. I have also paid 50%. I even recommended my friend to stay there and yes she did as her trip was earlier than mine which was last June. Everything was great she said.

Everything was good and the host did replied until a few weeks ago I wanted to check the calendar of the place to see if there are anyone who booked the place a day before mine so that I can check in early because it was an early morning arrival flight. Then I noticed that all the host listings stated unavailable. I did message her but she did not replied at all for weeks! At her profile page, the review area are all "The host canceled this reservation (amount of days) days before arrival. This is an automated posting."

Now I am really concern as I have already paid 50% payment. It is also my family's first trip and I don't want to ruin it by needing to find another place on the spot. I am not sure what to do now. You may see her profile here.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/102440662

Any guidance or advise is appreciated.

@Emalyn0  You should contact Airbnb, tell them what you wrote here, and get them to find out what is going on with this host and her listings. They can also make contact with her. If there is a problem, they can cancel for you so you have time to find another place if necessary. 

On another note, I hope you understand that just because you might see the day before your bookings as not booked, that doesn't mean you, as a guest, can check-in early. A check-in outside of stated check-in times has to be arranged with the host, not assumed. 

Emalyn0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi Sarah and Linda,

I did asked the host previously whether we can check-in early due to our early flight arrival and I have old folks with me. She did said we can check-in early if there is no one occupied the apartment a day before our arrival.

Nevertheless, I have contacted Airbnb support to get in contact with the host. They told me, the host could not welcome me due to construction, therefore, they refunded my payment. 

I would just hope that the host have the courtesy and responsibilities to inform their guest about the cancellation in the first place. As I'm new to airbnb services, this case was a bad impression. 

Thanks girls for replying me and also providing me the URL. I think new users would appreciate it if Airbnb could put that URL help link at their website instead of in the community website as this quite inconvenience for the non-tech savvy people.

Thanks again!

@Emalyn0 Yes, you are totally right- a responsible host would contact any booked guests well ahead of time, unless it was an emergency situation, if they planned to do construction, etc. It's pretty inexcusable that it took Airbnb contacting the host to find out that they couldn't accomodate you. 

I hope your future Airbnb experience is better than this. Make sure you always read through the reviews of a place before booking-if you see a bunch of "host cancelled this reservation", that's a big red flag.