Host canceled reservation and immediately relisted for 3x the price?

Jeff330
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Host canceled reservation and immediately relisted for 3x the price?

I had mentioned in the reservation that my group would be visiting for a major music festival and were super excited to visit and stay at the (hosts') home. The price was great and I put down half of the payment with the 2nd half due a month before our stay.

After confirming the reservation, members of our group booked their flights, considering at the time they knew they had a place to stay during that weekend. About two hours after confirming the reservation, I received a notification saying my reservation was canceled with no update or message from the host. I had to reach out to them myself and was told that the price that I agreed to and PAID for was a "glitch" on AirBNB's side and not a fault of the hosts', so AirBNB was the one to cancel the reservation and allowed the hosts to relist for 3x the price for that weekend. Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but the notification I received was that the HOST canceled the reservation and not AirBNB or any of its staff.

Now I'm back on the hunt for another place to stay and members of my group are stuck holding flight tickets for no reason. The glitch/mistake was not a fault of the customer and I feel that my reservation should have been honored as I did NOT cheat/scam my way into this reservation... If there was indeed a glitch that overrid the price from $1xxx to $xxx, then AirBNB should work with the host to resolve the issue and still honor the reservation. I have done nothing wrong in this situation.

Can I get any recourse from AirBNB or does AirBNB usually side with hosts about this issue?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jeff330Normally when a host cancels a reservation, there will be a (automatic) message in the profile, the dates are blocked (no booking possible at Airbnb) and the host receives a fine. But you can contact Airbnb for more explanation and the problems it brings to you and your friends:

Contact Airbnb - A Community Help Guide [UPDATED] 

Thanks @Emiel1. It doesn't look like the hosts were "punished" by this cancelation. My concern is that AirBNB should work with the host to resolve the issue and still honor the reservation. I have done nothing wrong in this situation. This was a problem between AirBNB and the host that somehow trickled down to me. I hate playing the "victim card" but it's unreasonable for the customer to be left holding the bag when the problem was between two other parties.

Thomas2913
Level 2
Ravensburg, Germany

@Jeff330you wrote: "...I had to reach out to them myself and was told that the price that I agreed to and PAID for was a "glitch" on AirBNB's side and not a fault of the hosts',..."

From were was this information?

Thx