Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

Answered!
Nick88
Level 7
Murfreesboro, TN

Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

I booked a room about 2 weeks ago and the pickings we're already slim then.  I've messaged the host right after booking with the usual "Hi, how ya doin?" stuff, and about a week before the reservation I asked about check in times.  The response was 6pm.  I was a little put off by the late check in time but didn't say anything and I figured we'd just find some way to kill time until then.  

Last night I went to sleep extra early (7:00PM) because I planned to get up early and finish packing so we could hit the road by 9AM.  I woke up this morning to find that I received a AirBnb cancellation message at 7:28PM that my reservation has been cancelled.  No message from the host, no appology or explanation, nothing.  

AirBnb obviously refunded my money and gave me what I think is a 10% credit.  But nearest thing available at this point is about 30-40 miles away from the booking that was already 25 miles away from where we are visting.  Now I'm suppose to accept this, or get a refund and book something else.  Booking even the cheapest hotel at the last minute is now going to cost us 2-3 times more than if we had just booked it weeks ago when we made this AirBnb reservation.

I understand that things happen, but how can I ever book with AirBnb again and have a resonable expectation that I won't waste a bunch of money planning a trip and have my accommodations yanked from under my feet at the last minute?  I'm stuck deciding between either cancelling my plans, or paying twice per night what the entire weekend would have cost me.  

This is beyond infuriating and AirBnb won't even give me the satisfaction of leaving a review because they left a "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival. This is an automated posting." review on my behalf.

Cancellations like this are devastatingly expensive for the guest.  There should be a heavy penalty for host who do this without explanation.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

204 Replies 204

@Fouad20  Hosts are charged for cancelling. Like $100. And yes, they should give that penalty amount or at least a portion of it, to a guest who is inconvenienced by a host that doesn't have their s**t together. Instead, they just add the host cancellation penalty charge to their company coffers.

Personally, if were a guest, I wouldn't wait until a day of two before my booking to contact a host who hasn't communicated with me. I send my guests check-in, bus, etc, info a week before they arrive and ask them to confirm that they received it. Many hosts who have self-check-in prefer to give out door codes and exact addresses day before or day of check-in to cut down on guests who arrive hours before stated check-in expecting to get in, when it's likely that the cleaners haven't even started or finished cleaning the unit or there may even be guests still there if it's before check-out time. But even if a host does it that way, I'd still want to assure myself that a host was responsive to messages and that my resrevation was all good to go.

Sorry you had the bad luck to get such a bad host. As soon as he knew that the place was not available, he should have messaged all his guests so they wouldn't be left stranded like you were.

Jim1333
Level 1
Matamata, New Zealand

So what’s the story as well Airbnb, my daughter has had 2 cancellations from 2 different Airbnb, planning ahead for an event, get in early book, pay 6 mths ahead, cancelled, refunded, ok book another Airbnb, paid in full in advance, now closer to the event but still 3 months off cancelled again, no explanation, to book now again will be hugely more expensive, why are they doing this is it because they can get more money than they 1st thought 6 months ago?

Rob6844
Level 2
Mercer Island, WA

Seems like the fairest way to handle these situations is to have the same penalty apply to hosts who cancel as would apply to guests. And the penalty should go to the guest, not Airbnb. Unfortunately this is not the way current Airbnb rules work.  Am I missing something?

Gonzalo256
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Same thing happened to me, host cancelled at the last minute. Just like that. 24 hours before that they mailed me saying the looked forward to hosting me. I am done with Airbnb. 

@Gonzalo256 Generally this is totally unacceptable and the host will get penalised (financially and by blocking bookings). There just might be a Covid reason why it would be illegal to host present but even that should have been sorted out more than 24 hours before your stay.

All I can say is don't give up on all the good hosts - Just keep an eye out in the reviews in case they have also cancelled stays - If they have ask them why before you book.

Yoel17
Level 1
New York, NY

More sad then that its the fact we are all in the same situation and the only place we can bring our complains and feeling about it its here at airbnb community blog where actualy they can deside if they posting my respond or not....

yesterday my booking was cancelled by the host less then 48 hr before the trip, this was thanksgiving weekend with my fiancee and we talking about holiday weekend that was booked and planned in early October , I can't tell how disappoint and inconvenient it was , it took 6 hr from my day to try to find new location similar but price was much higher , I called the host and begged him for not doing it and instead he said he planing renovation this weekend and its more important then us not to enjoy our thanksgiving weekend, a shame in one word that's all I have to say, how powerful can be an host at airbnb and how we can't do nothing as a guess on this platform, in case we was the cancelling side on him we may lost %50 of our money easy, why can't them pay us %50 plus pay to airbnb fees and this will make them work the sultion with guess so everyone happy, yes I got $77 from airbnb to cover the different booking but I can't tell you that im satisfy with the resullt, im far from that and I think its not just me here I think Meny people are feeling the same and there is nothing to do this days, but by the time we will see things change and company will pay the price for not doing enough when this happpen early at it should, we saw Facebook and twitter and others on the congress and the senate and they had to give answers and pay big fines, it take time to regulator to work and ii wish it was faster but at the end I wish it happens and this power platforms and the property owners  will pay back big time or will be removed, we should get more support as the customers and funny is that we are not at all, hello where is the American dream freedom and democracy here ? woke up regulators and stop this shame exactly like u asking us to help to stop the covid19 spreed to make the world better place for everyone equally !!!

thank you and I hop you guys  will have chance to read and it wont be deleted by airbnb themself 

even do soon or later I belive that some smart CEO will wakeup to this call and will do the peccary changes the rules and policy on this platform need and will make owners hosting to pay and accommodations us so they think twice if they cancelling us with no reason or with excuse reason (I done feel comfterbal with this guess ) 

ill try to copy here my messages with Airbnb support team.

conversation between airbnb and me

5:34 PM
i’d like to know please if it was legal to cancel my reservation by the host without explanation please
how does airbnb policy and terms cover it

Airbnb Support5:51 PM
Hi. The host felt uncomfortable with the situation that's why they requested to cancel the booking. You should also disclose the number of guest that are coming to your host before making the reservation.

6:03 PM
i did spoke the guess list with him
he had different hidings reasons to cancel on us , what his legal rights to do so without me agree to it, in part of the deal as he is

Airbnb Support6:40 PM
Hi, based on Airbnb Policy it's okay to cancel the reservation if the host is uncomfortable with the guest.

Michael5573
Level 1
Lexington, NC

Super host just cancelled on me days before arrival.  Flight leaves less than 24 hours from cancellation notice.  This was a long term rental of almost 2 months with stays in other locations.  Lost deposits total in the thousands and all Airbnb can offer me is a $200 credit for a future stay.  I have no recourse for my lost money and I can be certain if I had to cancel last minute I’d be on the hook for everything.  This is unacceptable.  

@Michael5573  There's something not right here. If the host cancels, the guest gets a full refund. 

@Sarah977 is correct.  100% of any fees paid to Air BNB are refunded on a host cancellation.  Are you referring to other accommodations that you lost deposits?

Alicia797
Level 2
Lilburn, GA

I am devastated. I booked a month in advanced and the day before reservation (and my birthday) host cancelled my reservation. I am still waiting on my full refund. Everything in the area of my trip is now over 200 dollars more than what I was able to snag a month ago and my birthday plans are ruined. This is the second time this has happened to me on air bnb and frankly I am seriously debating using this site again. I have had a few good trips but if there's a 50/50 chance that my trip will end ruined then it's not worth the risk at all. I am literally in tears because I did everything right on my end and have meticulously planned this trip a month in advanced and I was so excited for a relaxing trip but all i am is stressed and with no place to go for my 30th birthday. 10 percent is not going to resolve this mistake. It's just not enough. Truly sad that travelers have to go through this with little to no help from airbnb. Top three worst experience with a company and every travellers worst fear when traveling. This happens far too often which proves airbnb just doesn't care about the people who use their site to book trips. I feel like I've been sucker punched

@Alicia797   You are so right that a cancellation right before your trip is the worst thing a host can do, especially for your special birthday.  Many factors play into that cancellation, most of which are not controlable by the host, such as natural disasters, illness of the host (if the reservation is in the host home), property problems such as plumbing or a fire, Air BNB reacting to potential for a listing to used for a large party (Air BNB actually suspends the listing). 

What makes it more difficult for the guest, in addition to all you describe, is that usually the guest is not informed why the cancellation occurred.  I don't know if you have been in touch with the host to get an explanation, but usually Air BNB won't explain.

While there are some reasons for a cancellaiton unique to a shared home listing on any platform, the worst is if a host decides that they let the property be booked at too low a rate.  That type of cancellation triggers a series of penalties including being fined by Air BNB, but that does not help your situation.

I wonder if you considered any travel insurance and if that would have mitigated your loss at all.

Most hosts, myself included, are also travelers/guests, so we can empathsize with you.  So sorry this has happened to you.

Susan4050
Level 1
California, United States

Same thing just happened to me. Easter week to spend with my son. Have other activity non-refundable tickets. I’m furious. Had to find a hotel, slim pickings unless I want to pay $500+  And have to eat out all meals now. Had to shorten vacation by 2 days to stay in budget.  This also happened to my daughter.   Yes, refunded. But that’s just doesn’t cover my losses

cant give a review because my reservation was cancelled.  No faith in Airbnb at all!

Host canceled under 48hours before we land. Our whole trip is already booked and paid for and now when we land we will be stranded. The money was automatically refunded and now out thousands until trip is already over. Might not even be able to take the trip and will lose almost 2k more from activities, vehicle, restaurant reservations, and flight. All paid for ahead of time. Airbnb says they are waiting on approval to book another spot but I can’t tell if they are really doing anything at all. I really hope they pull through for us but it doesn’t feel like it at this point when we only have 18 hours until flight and they ask for 12-24 for confirmation. If they can’t find us a place we have to cancel everything. And I would never use this app again seeing how common this is. And the host only pays 100$!!!! If I canceled I would have lost all money for booking. This whole situation is so unacceptable and never saw it coming. Will keep you guys updated if airbnb pulls through for us. 

Edit: Airbnb the AWSOME. They got our new place booked and cover the difference since we booked early on the first one. This place is just as great so thank you Airbnb! I hope your charged the previous host.  

@Manuel3834  I'm glad it worked out for you. It's always a good idea, when you have a lot of $ in play for a trip, to take out travel insurance. Especially these days when Covid restrictions are ever-changing. Some hosts have had to cancel guest reservations last minute, through no fault of their own, because their govt. suddenly announced that they couldn't host due to Covid lockdowns.

FYI hosts actually get more penalties for cancelling than a $100 fine. The dates of the cancellation are blocked on their calendar, so they can't rebook them to anyone else (therefore forfeiting all the income they would have made from  booking those dates), a notice appears on their review page saying "Host cancelled this booking XX days before check-in", which makes future guests wary of booking with them, as it could happen to them, and if the host has Superhost status, they lose that.

Lydia435
Level 2
Arcadia, CA

I have never felt mistreated or bullied so badly until superhost Sean. I booked his place back in March for memorial weekend family gathering. After accepted my reservation never heard a word. The trip is for celebrating my mom's birthday. It's six of us. Two weeks before my trip, I sent him several messages over some details, he replied two days later with a simple answer that didn't address my question, and said he's driving and will get back to me but never did. Two days before our trip I messaged him of check-in code, again waited for a day, he came back and said he can't give me the code until current tenants check out, and promised to give me the code the morning I checked in. Yesterday we all packed and started to hit the road early to beat long weekend traffic, no code was received. I was annoyed and messaged him, he came back and said if I am uncomfortable with the communication, he's more than happy to cancel and refund my money, stated I should let him know so that he can plan. WHAT? I replied immediately we are on our way, and didn't want to cancel. But within minutes, our reservation is cancelled and money was refunded THREE HOURS BEFORE CHECK IN. I almost have a panic attack, I even message to apologize although I didn't do nothing wrong. I frantically trying to look for another place but couldn't. My kids arranged time to come home for the trip. In the end no weekend trip for us. What kind of human being would do something like that to another. I filed a case with Airbnb customer service. I was devastated.