Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

Answered!
Nick88
Level 7
Murfreesboro, TN

Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

I booked a room about 2 weeks ago and the pickings we're already slim then.  I've messaged the host right after booking with the usual "Hi, how ya doin?" stuff, and about a week before the reservation I asked about check in times.  The response was 6pm.  I was a little put off by the late check in time but didn't say anything and I figured we'd just find some way to kill time until then.  

Last night I went to sleep extra early (7:00PM) because I planned to get up early and finish packing so we could hit the road by 9AM.  I woke up this morning to find that I received a AirBnb cancellation message at 7:28PM that my reservation has been cancelled.  No message from the host, no appology or explanation, nothing.  

AirBnb obviously refunded my money and gave me what I think is a 10% credit.  But nearest thing available at this point is about 30-40 miles away from the booking that was already 25 miles away from where we are visting.  Now I'm suppose to accept this, or get a refund and book something else.  Booking even the cheapest hotel at the last minute is now going to cost us 2-3 times more than if we had just booked it weeks ago when we made this AirBnb reservation.

I understand that things happen, but how can I ever book with AirBnb again and have a resonable expectation that I won't waste a bunch of money planning a trip and have my accommodations yanked from under my feet at the last minute?  I'm stuck deciding between either cancelling my plans, or paying twice per night what the entire weekend would have cost me.  

This is beyond infuriating and AirBnb won't even give me the satisfaction of leaving a review because they left a "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival. This is an automated posting." review on my behalf.

Cancellations like this are devastatingly expensive for the guest.  There should be a heavy penalty for host who do this without explanation.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

204 Replies 204

no, they can't. AirBnB claims that a cancellation by the host will be added automatically to the host's reviews. But actually I do not see this anywhere on my cancelled offer.

Trish30
Level 2
Saratoga, CA

Next time choose a Super Host. Sorry that happened to you. I agree that last minute lodging is hard to find, my three Guest rooms stay booked solid. 

I chose a superhost and they cancelled on me yesterday morning-my day of check in. All penalties waived since it was their first time. But they left me high and dry. Paying more money for a new place.

@Trish0 - Like @Michele0, I chose to book a spot via a "Super Host" but my reservation was cancelled. It's a fallacy that Airbnb takes away their Super Host status for a year, because I just checked "Lily's" profile and she still has her shiny badge. Airbnb isn't vetting their Super Hosts strictly enough, thus lacks integrity.

@Adam486  As with guests, hosts can have emergencies that require cancellation of a reservation.  Under the extenuating circumstances policy the reservation is cancelled with no penalties, including removal of Super Host status.  I think what you get with a Super Host is generally good host behavior, no sloppy calendars in with double booking, and no will-nilly cancellations.  Not perfect, but better odds 😛

Unlike a hotel, many hosts of a shared space or have a single listing when they experience a medical event, family death or even a substantial disruption of the space, must cancel the reservation and have no back up.  Pretty sure you don't want to be in the home of a sick host or in a home with significant plumbing problems, right?

I am also a guest and must admit to some trepidation with booking a vacation home on Air BNB because all my plans depended on the home reservation.  

@Linda108  - No need to excuse Airbnb for not doing their duty. They are not revoking Superhost status for delinquent behavior. As stated in their policy, ANY cancellation by a host penalizes their ability to earn the Superhost title for 1-year. Just checked my host's profile and I still see them rocking that badge next to their picture, so it's probably safe to assume that the same goes for @Michele's host and others.

Bottom-line: Airbnb should not be profitting on cancellations, the financial penalties should be forfeited to the guests and the QA department needs to up the ante.

@Linda108 - "Unlike a hotel, many hosts of a shared space or have a single listing when they experience a medical event, family death or even a substantial disruption of the space, must cancel the reservation and have no back up.  Pretty sure you don't want to be in the home of a sick host or in a home with significant plumbing problems, right?"

One more thing I wanted to note: on the contrary, many Listings are run like a business where hosts are merely property managers, especially in "resort towns." For instance, the Superhost that cancelled on me has 14 Listings! It's a disservice to equate these folks with the single-listing, side-hustle, Hosts.

At least Japan cracked down on this exacerbation and is only permitting  Listings for Hosts who live in the vicinity of the operation. My mom was a Superhost, but lost her title because her own home had to be relisted. I understand the move, but under no circumstances has she left people high and dry. Even in an emergency she's pulled strings to make sure her guests are accommodated and well-taken care of.

@Adam486  I understand your frustration, but please note that you are mistaken about extenuating circumstances not applying to hosts and Super Host status.  Please see the link regarding extenuating circumstances.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

I don't "defend" Air BNB but I do try to provide accurate information.  Sometime that is a challenge 😛

@Adam486 :  no,  it does not say any cancellation.   There are cancellations for good reasons,  ranging from medical emergencies to problems with the property outside the Hosts' controll.  Penalizing Hosts for these would not be fair,  and does not make sense.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

You might wish to mention WHERE you are hoping to go. Perhaps a host on this forum has some space that they aren't showing as available, but might be willing to take "pity" on you.

And I am very sorry that this happened. Can't imagine the frustration!

@Nick88   How frustrating and inconvenient and awful for you. You could ask Airbnb to help you find another place. I have heard they do in cases like this. Contact Airbnb

btw: The Host is penalized, often with a hefty fine; the cancelled dates are blocked so they cannot take any reservations for those dates; a note is added to their reviews that they cancelled, which is a huge negative; the listing becomes less visible, if at all.

Erin310
Level 3
Washington, United States

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

@Erin310  I agree the penalty money should go to the guest, not AirBnB. I have seen a few cases on forums where AirBnB has called the hosts that were opened and asked if they would discount for the booking to fill the unbooked days. If this ever happens again ask especially as children are involved. AirBnB does not advertise this possiblity and most CS Rep's are not even aware that it is a solution in some cases. 

Erin310
Level 3
Washington, United States

@Erin310 wrote:

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

An update on the above. Airbnb has agreed to pay the difference. It was a very difficult stay, but I'm happy that they have done their best to right the situation. Erin

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob