Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

Answered!
Nick88
Level 7
Murfreesboro, TN

Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

I booked a room about 2 weeks ago and the pickings we're already slim then.  I've messaged the host right after booking with the usual "Hi, how ya doin?" stuff, and about a week before the reservation I asked about check in times.  The response was 6pm.  I was a little put off by the late check in time but didn't say anything and I figured we'd just find some way to kill time until then.  

Last night I went to sleep extra early (7:00PM) because I planned to get up early and finish packing so we could hit the road by 9AM.  I woke up this morning to find that I received a AirBnb cancellation message at 7:28PM that my reservation has been cancelled.  No message from the host, no appology or explanation, nothing.  

AirBnb obviously refunded my money and gave me what I think is a 10% credit.  But nearest thing available at this point is about 30-40 miles away from the booking that was already 25 miles away from where we are visting.  Now I'm suppose to accept this, or get a refund and book something else.  Booking even the cheapest hotel at the last minute is now going to cost us 2-3 times more than if we had just booked it weeks ago when we made this AirBnb reservation.

I understand that things happen, but how can I ever book with AirBnb again and have a resonable expectation that I won't waste a bunch of money planning a trip and have my accommodations yanked from under my feet at the last minute?  I'm stuck deciding between either cancelling my plans, or paying twice per night what the entire weekend would have cost me.  

This is beyond infuriating and AirBnb won't even give me the satisfaction of leaving a review because they left a "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival. This is an automated posting." review on my behalf.

Cancellations like this are devastatingly expensive for the guest.  There should be a heavy penalty for host who do this without explanation.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

204 Replies 204

@Kay1416 and what exact listing would that be? (Just curious FI I would book that host - guests need to be selective as well - sometimes good price is too good for a reason - there is no free cheese)

And yes...airbnb is not help in rebooking in spite to all they pretty claims 

Honestly, after all this headache, my best bet was to contact upaway.app and let them deal with all of the reimbursements, rescheduling, and calling. Costed me less than $50 and they found me another place to stay asap. 

Diksha7
Level 2
Gurugram, India

I made a booking one month before our travel to Gold Coast. On the day of checking host text me at 1:30 that she had to cancel the booking and Airbnb should inform you and find me another accommodation. However Airbnb had no idea about conversation. Now I am on Gold Coast with my family of 5 and 2 kids waiting for Airbnb to find the solution. All they have to say is pleas be on hold we will support you. I have wasted my entire day to connect with host or Airbnb which I should be enjoying during my holiday. Such a stressful service. I would never be able to trust Airbnb again

These hosts treated us like doing us a favor, and showed no respects.  As you see my original post a year ago, only thing I did was to get check in instructions on the day of arrival from the host, which the host hasn't given me that very morning, so I expressed concern, and I was polite but frustrated.  Then he just went ahead cancelling my booking and refunded the money.  I booked the place more than 6 months ago.  He's still rated as a super host and the place is still up for rent.  It's totally unfair, and Airbnb didn't do anything to control these kind of acts from 'super' host.  Airbnb only gave me $100 credit, which I ended up couldn't use.  It was a terrible experience with them.

For shopping for travel insurance I use quaremouth - a lot of options and a lot of filters to get exzctly what I need. If one does not have premium cradit card like Saphire Reserve (that makes card car insurance premium) - one better off to buy rider for car insurance as you don't want your insurance if in USA to pay and raise rate or in Europe or somewhre where US insurance is not valid 

Boo1
Level 3
Okayama, Japan

I read it and so understand, cancel last min host should have more penalty than the message and also Airbnb should take more responsible for it. Sorry to hear that. 

Erin310
Level 3
Washington, United States

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

@Boo1 wrote:

I read it and so understand, cancel last min host should have more penalty than the message and also Airbnb should take more responsible for it. Sorry to hear that. 

Erin310
Level 3
Washington, United States

An update on the above. Airbnb has agreed to pay the difference. It was a very difficult stay, but I'm happy that they have done their best to right the situation. Erin

@Erin310 wrote:

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

@Boo1 wrote:

Next time book with a super host, they won't cancel on you.  Sounds like an awful situation with kids too, Sorry on behalf of the airbnb community.  Most of us are not like that!

Was just cancelled on by a super host less than 2 weeks out from my stay. That status mean nothing! Airbnb is full of scammers that create multiple profiles and review each others properties to get their rating up. The system is broken and I'm guessing it wont be long until another company emulates Airbnb's model, but makes it fair for hosts and their guests!

If I wanted to cancel the booking it would have cost me $4k, but the host does it and it cost him $200... You cant convince me that this model has any long term sustainability!! 

Thom 16 and many others, AirBnB and hosts can continue canceling last minute for no reason, UNTIL litigation yields regulations that STOP this type of eggregious behavior.  I've just run into this exact scenario and we are taking the HOST and  AirBnB to court.  I imagine a "class-action" suit would help matters for the Tenants.  If interested in learning more about the CLASS-ACTION SUIT against AirBnB please contact *senstive information hidden*  to add your name to the list. Thanks - Robert

@Robert1690 :  you realize there are arbitration and anti-class action clauses in the ABB ToS,  right 🙂 ?

I just got cancelled by the host 10 days prior to check in!  There is nothing comparable to what I booked in the same vicinity.  How do I join the class action suit? The contact info is blocked out

we have been waiting for that same mystery company to emulate ebay and make it a fair again. It hasn't and probably won't happen. ebay and airbnb are just to well known and dominating their markets. 

Agreed. They can cancel at last minute and their penalty is pointless.