Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

Answered!
Nick88
Level 7
Murfreesboro, TN

Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

I booked a room about 2 weeks ago and the pickings we're already slim then.  I've messaged the host right after booking with the usual "Hi, how ya doin?" stuff, and about a week before the reservation I asked about check in times.  The response was 6pm.  I was a little put off by the late check in time but didn't say anything and I figured we'd just find some way to kill time until then.  

Last night I went to sleep extra early (7:00PM) because I planned to get up early and finish packing so we could hit the road by 9AM.  I woke up this morning to find that I received a AirBnb cancellation message at 7:28PM that my reservation has been cancelled.  No message from the host, no appology or explanation, nothing.  

AirBnb obviously refunded my money and gave me what I think is a 10% credit.  But nearest thing available at this point is about 30-40 miles away from the booking that was already 25 miles away from where we are visting.  Now I'm suppose to accept this, or get a refund and book something else.  Booking even the cheapest hotel at the last minute is now going to cost us 2-3 times more than if we had just booked it weeks ago when we made this AirBnb reservation.

I understand that things happen, but how can I ever book with AirBnb again and have a resonable expectation that I won't waste a bunch of money planning a trip and have my accommodations yanked from under my feet at the last minute?  I'm stuck deciding between either cancelling my plans, or paying twice per night what the entire weekend would have cost me.  

This is beyond infuriating and AirBnb won't even give me the satisfaction of leaving a review because they left a "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival. This is an automated posting." review on my behalf.

Cancellations like this are devastatingly expensive for the guest.  There should be a heavy penalty for host who do this without explanation.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

204 Replies 204
Erin310
Level 3
Washington, United States

@Erin310 wrote:

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

@Nathalie630 wrote:

The the same thing happened to me. Except my host didn’t even bother to cancel. I went to the site of my listing at 6pm and realized the apartment building that was advertised didn’t even exist. I think it may have been a fake listing. I called Airbnb and they canceled my booking an hour later and gave me a 10% bonus of $23. Most bookings in the same area cost 2-3x more. I called Airbnb to complain and they told me that I was “exhausting their resources” I told them I didn’t care because I was a single woman traveling alone and just had her booking cancelled at 7pm at night. They said there were other bookings near my price range... and that I should ask hosts to lower their price for me... I told them, those listings were very far away from where I currently was and that the taxi costs would easily cost me an arm and a leg. After arguing with them, for an hour I was able to get enough money to book a place in the suburbs. I found the entire experience to be demeaning and offensive for both myself and the host who took me in. Why should the host be expected to reduce her list price just because Airbnb messed up? And how can I trust Airbnb not to make a blunder like this again? Airbnb has one job- connect guests to hosts. They make tons of money charging us guests and hosts for that service. Of all of the money I have made Airbnb... apparently, I’m not worth more than $23 to them. 

An update on the above. Airbnb has agreed to pay the difference. It was a very difficult stay, but I'm happy that they have done their best to right the situation. Erin

Jeff384
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

I'm starting to get nervous of the same thing happening to me.  I booked an airbnb in Venice back in April, have messaged the superhost 3 times, and emailed once in the last 2 months and haven't heard a word back.  We are supposed to arrive in 5 days, but I'm getting worried by the complete lack of communication that we're going to arrive and not have a place to stay.  Just sent the email a bit ago, thinking if I don't hear back by Sunday I should call airbnb for help.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Jeff

@Jeff384  Don't wait until Sunday. Contact airbnb now. You don't want to end up like some of these other people on this thread who were left with nowhere to go at the last possible minute. Good, legitimate hosts answer all their guest's communications and generally send the guests a message about a week before check-in with any details they might need to know. Something seems very fishy about your booking.

Michele591
Level 1
Gardnerville, NV

Same thing happened to me. Fifteen hours before I was to enter my Air BnB in NYC (by a "superhost"), the reservation was cancelled with no explanation. I was to leave for the airport soon and could not find another. Nor could I fail to show up for my son's wedding. I had to fly and then find a new booking, with no sleep. The new one was nice but much much more expensive. I've asked Air BnB to refund me the difference, but they seem unwilling, simply assuring me that the host will be punished. How does this help me? 

I'm planning to explore legal remedies, specially as I see that my experience is not unusual. I certainly will not book through Air BnB again. 

Efrosyni0
Level 2
Coral Gables, FL

Hello,

This just happened to us and is our first experience with Airbnb.  Our travel plans are forthcoming so we chose to rebook on Airbnb but it still cost us more money than the original reservation (but less than a nearby hotel that was a much farther walk from where we need to be).   After reading through some of this discussion we flagged the host and submitted the complaint to Airbnb.  A host can be flagged on the profile page.

I hope the new reservation we made is honored. 

Prior to this experience I was not even aware that a host could cancel.  I am actually surprised that Airbnb is so popular given the frequency with which this appears to be happening to guests.  I think Airbnb should have an emergency support system that helps guest to rebook and also compensates the guest for any increase in price for an equivalent accomodation.  Furthermore, I believe the host shoudl be kicked off Airbnb the very first time this occurs, not just penalized with a fine.

In order to give a heads up to future travelers...

THE HOST THAT CANCELED ON US IS:

Hosted by **
United States

**[Sensitive information hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

@Efrosyni0  You probably do not know why the host cancelled unless the host sent you a message.  Unlike a hotel, most Air BNB listings do not have an alternative if there is something wrong with the listing or the host that requires cancellation.  

Those few hosts that cancel for other than extenuating circumstances, are seriously penalized by Air BNB.  As both a host and a guest, I do not want ANY host to manipulate guest reservations as it makes ALL of us look bad.

In January of this year I woke up sick the day I was expecting a woman and her son to arrive.  As my listing is a private room in my house, I was concerned I would cause them to fall ill so I contacted Air BNB to cancel the reservation.  I also advised the guest of the reason for the cancellation.  Air BNB contacted the guest and assisted with getting another reservation along with 15% additional credit to help with the additional cost of a reservation.  I felt quite badly about the cancellation, but as a requirement of Air BNB to prove the medical need for the cancellation, I went to my doctor and found out I had the worst strain of the flu.  I was grateful that I did not expose them, especially the young son, to the flu.  The guest left a single star review and berated me for the cancellation even though I was motivated by wanting to ensure they did not get sick at my home.

Do you believe I should be kicked off Air BNB?

Richard834
Level 1
Mousehole, United Kingdom

I arrived tonight at the Airbnb I had booked a month or so ago. No answer. I rang the host who said she was unaware of the booking, although she had replied to my previous email confirming my arrival time. When I told her this she said she had forgotten about the booking and couldn’t get back to the property as she was sailing. This meant that I had to book a hotel quickly for tonight otherwise I would have nowhere to stay. The host later “cancelled”my booking with Airbnb stating she had an “emergency”. Somehow I do not consider going sailing an emergency. I had to pay the standard rate for a hotel - double what I would’ve paid if I’d booked 1 month in advance and all I am entitled to is a full refund from Airbnb. This is not good enough - I feel I should receive a refund and the host should pay for the extra cost I have incurred due to her forgetfulness.

I would have you asked her?

David

@Richard834  Start with a request of the host for a refund including compensation for the night in the hotel.  In your message using the Air BNB messaging system, note the phone call including the day and time of the call in which the host admits to forgetting the booking and stating unable to come to the listing due to her sailing.   Your Air BNB system will substantiate your side of the story.  If a host cancels due to an emergency and that can happen, the host must provide proof that substantiates the emergency.  The host is not paid for the dates until the proof is provided.   If the host does not respond, go to Air BNB and request the refund.   Start with the host who may surprise you.  Good luck!!

Erin310
Level 3

We were also stranded the same day with three kids looking for a place in Philadelphia during the height of tourist season. Airbnb couldn't find a place that wasn't three times as expensive, so we had to find a hotel, which was actually cheaper but over twice the price. We were promised an amount to make our expense only $100 more plus the expense of parking and the loss of a travel day dealing with it. We didn't get that amount from Airbnb but ended up spending $200 more. I see they can charge the host $100, and that should have immediately come to us to help. Airbnb has to help people stranded last minute better. I have used them for years and so have my friends. We live abroad and know many expats who do. However, I am now very concerned about using them in the future or recommending them. It seems that by not helping guests in this situation, they will only lose business. This is foolish on their part, because even losing my business for one trip will cost them more than it would have cost them to pay for a replacement place and we wouldn't have had to go through so much stress or lost our day of sightseeing. 

@Richard834 wrote:

I arrived tonight at the Airbnb I had booked a month or so ago. No answer. I rang the host who said she was unaware of the booking, although she had replied to my previous email confirming my arrival time. When I told her this she said she had forgotten about the booking and couldn’t get back to the property as she was sailing. This meant that I had to book a hotel quickly for tonight otherwise I would have nowhere to stay. The host later “cancelled”my booking with Airbnb stating she had an “emergency”. Somehow I do not consider going sailing an emergency. I had to pay the standard rate for a hotel - double what I would’ve paid if I’d booked 1 month in advance and all I am entitled to is a full refund from Airbnb. This is not good enough - I feel I should receive a refund and the host should pay for the extra cost I have incurred due to her forgetfulness.

Erin310
Level 3

@Erin310 wrote:

@Richard834 wrote:

An update on the above. Airbnb has agreed to pay the difference. It was a very difficult stay, but I'm happy that they have done their best to right the situation. Erin

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I wonder if some of these strange cancellations are because airbnb is delisting these places due to permit issues, so the hosts are unable to communicate?

@Mark116 wrote:

I wonder if some of these strange cancellations are because airbnb is delisting these places due to permit issues, so the hosts are unable to communicate?

That's entirely possible. And one poster recently said her account was suspended without explanation and couldn't get in touch with her already booked guests to let them know.

Just to be on the safe side, and because the site sometimes glitches out, I always write down a guest's phone number as soon as their booking is confirmed. That way if for some reason I wouldn't be able to message them thru airbnb, I could still make contact.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

BTW can happen at a Hotel as well, I can think of a few stories,  we have had some big fires in Colorado and I know there are vaction homes in those areas, VRBO, AirBnb whatever, the roads were closed you were not getting in.

I remeber somebody who has a Hotel telling me that they get a lot of business in the winter from people who rent homes and come up with vehicles that are not suitable to get to them due to the snow, so they end up at the Hotel.

David