Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

Answered!
Nick88
Level 7
Murfreesboro, TN

Host cancelled less than 24 hours before check in

I booked a room about 2 weeks ago and the pickings we're already slim then.  I've messaged the host right after booking with the usual "Hi, how ya doin?" stuff, and about a week before the reservation I asked about check in times.  The response was 6pm.  I was a little put off by the late check in time but didn't say anything and I figured we'd just find some way to kill time until then.  

Last night I went to sleep extra early (7:00PM) because I planned to get up early and finish packing so we could hit the road by 9AM.  I woke up this morning to find that I received a AirBnb cancellation message at 7:28PM that my reservation has been cancelled.  No message from the host, no appology or explanation, nothing.  

AirBnb obviously refunded my money and gave me what I think is a 10% credit.  But nearest thing available at this point is about 30-40 miles away from the booking that was already 25 miles away from where we are visting.  Now I'm suppose to accept this, or get a refund and book something else.  Booking even the cheapest hotel at the last minute is now going to cost us 2-3 times more than if we had just booked it weeks ago when we made this AirBnb reservation.

I understand that things happen, but how can I ever book with AirBnb again and have a resonable expectation that I won't waste a bunch of money planning a trip and have my accommodations yanked from under my feet at the last minute?  I'm stuck deciding between either cancelling my plans, or paying twice per night what the entire weekend would have cost me.  

This is beyond infuriating and AirBnb won't even give me the satisfaction of leaving a review because they left a "The host canceled this reservation the day before arrival. This is an automated posting." review on my behalf.

Cancellations like this are devastatingly expensive for the guest.  There should be a heavy penalty for host who do this without explanation.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick88.....Oh Nick I am so sorry for you....and you are 100% correct, a cancellation like this can cost you a lot of money in associated expenses. Nick, on this hosts profile there is a flag with a caption...'Report this user' ! Flag this host because we do not need hosts like this in our community...it is a stain on all of us.

I know it is of no help to you but Airbnb take host cancellations very seriously.

1/. This hosts calendar will be blocked for the days that you had booked.

2/. A notification will be put on the hosts review page that they cancelled a guests booking...and that is the 'kiss of death' as far as future guests are concerned! Nobody wants to book with a host who has a track record of cancelling bookings!

3/. They will have a financial penalty taken out of their future hostings.....a fine for doing the wrong thing!

4/. The host will be ineligible for 'Superhost' status for one year.

Nick, on behalf of this hosting community please accept our apology and please don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us strive to make a guests experience something that they will look back on fondly for many years!

Cheers....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

204 Replies 204
Priscilla146
Level 1
Geneva, Switzerland

I have booked a 1 month accomodation in Geneva 2 months ago. My check-in date is today. As I was on my way to the airport the host cancelled my reservation for the first day and a half (but might become more than that as AirBnB will contact her for updates). I have called AirBnB and they gave me a $75 bucks budget to book a last-minute on the day hotel in Geneva (probably top 5 most expensive places on Earth). I feel really dishearted as last-minute there is nothing for less than $150 per night that is at least 2-star and the stress of been now at the airport trying to find accomodation is definitely not the service I was expecting from AirBnB. I this really the policy for a host that cancels the reservation within less than 12 hours from my check-in?

Jill487
Level 1
Poole, United Kingdom

Feeling cross, we too had ours cancelled 2 days before. I had booked months ago, so it’s really annoying. Stress caused by trying to find another place quickly as flights and car hire all in place. Been offered £16, but almost an insult for stress caused. They need to sort out this problem.

Amber-Marie1
Level 1
Spring Valley, CA

This just happened to me... it’s strange and the refund is not immediate 

Same. Just found out. Booking canceled 6 days out. Made the booking 5 months ago. It seems their policy is to automatically give you a 10% "credit" if you choose to rebook instead of cancel. Obviously, that will never be enough. It wasn't for me. I called their support line and explained the situation. We switched to chat and I sent an equivalent booking to the agent. They gave me a hefty coupon (amounted to over 25% but if that listing hadn't been available I would have needed closer to 100%) so I could rebook. I paid with my card for the new booking and got a direct refund on my original purchase. 

Calling them seems to be the only way to go.

This is a serious issue that would make me rethink ever booking through Airbnb. The downside risk is too high and Airbnb does not provide sufficient guarantee of accommodation. Imagine booking in a distant location, with kids in tow, arriving by taxi to a remote location, and finding out at the last minute you needed to find a hotel. 

Ralf105
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Was cancelled by a super host today too. Now reading this discussion I see why she isn't cancelling officially and tries to get my PayPal account instead, after I wasn't willing to get her find me something else.

She even pointed out that she could have cancelled even later. I booked three months in advanced and was cancelled for a booking of a bigger group staying longer. And of course I have to understand, I'm more flexible than them. Why book in time, just travel in bigger groups and look last minute.

I'm really hoping that the support will help me. I'm leaving in two days, all flights booked and all plans, entry fees and so on payed, assuming I know where we will stay... I am really upset with that experience to be honest, never happened to me with a hotel before but the superhost told me that happens all the time and she could have informed me later?

I'm afraid now that the alternative place (if willwe find one)  just do the same

According to your post, this host has committed the ultimate transgression in the host community.  As a host, I would never cancel a guest unless there was some issue that might negatively impact the guest experience such as my illness or some problem with the listing.  I hope you have contacted Air BNB to get help with finding an alternative place and a little extra credit to help pay.  Good luck!!

They just called me, they're cancelling for me, I'll get my money back and they gave the host a flag (what ever that means). 

I can just say, I'm impressed about the customer service. Give Airbnb a chance to sort things out, I'm really impressed by them! 

Anne1577
Level 2
Warburton, Australia

Just got cancelled in Stockholm when I was literally at the door. Host not contactable by me or Airbnb support. I’m currently sleeping on a friends couch and the only accommodation I can find for the week that I’m here is at least double my refund + the miserly 10%.  I didn’t come here to stay mles out of town. Right now I just ant to get back on a plane and spend another 23 hours going home. Disappointed doesn’t begin to describe my feelings at this point

@Anne1577 Didn't Airbnb support arrange you to stay in a different Airbnb host's place or a hotel room? I had a cancellation from a host on the date when I checked in. I called Airbnb support and eventually I was arranged to another Airbnb host's apartment after 2 hours.

Hi Alice. Stockholm is fully booked unless I want to go miles away, share a dorm or pay at least double the cost of my original booking. I sat in the street with all my bags for 2 hours trying to resolve it

@Anne1577 I thought that Airbnb will keep the original price which you booked and they will cover the extra cost. At least I was not charged for extra after Airbnb support relocated me to a different Airbnb host. I believe that the new place they arranged me costed more than the place I originally booked.

I really hope so.  My original booking was $1600 for the week.  The closest thing I can find now is over $5k and the listing says people are looking at it.  I really don’t know what to do.  What with the jet lag etc I’m feeling very fragile right now

Lawrence121
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Just had my host cancel in Sun Valley Idaho 2 weeks before my entire family ( 8 of us ) are scheduled to fly out there. I was worried about this because I booked it early due to our stay  being there the same week as the Alan & Co convention and sure enough she must have gotten a better cash offer. I am really disappointed in the boilerplate responses and lack of compensation from Airbnb for having to pay for a more expensive place due to the lack of available homes. The host merely gets  slap on the wrist and can do it up to 3 times before Airbnb suspends them. I have been a loyal Airbnb customer for years and I am really unhappy w/ them at the moment.

James1714
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

So it's been a couple of years since the original post - have things improved? No in my opinion. We booked our accommodation several months in advance to visit Accra, Ghana from the UK. The host cancelled the accommodation whilst we were at the airport waiting to fly. Lots of promises were made by AirBnb support but we landed in Accra, tired, with 3 kids (ages 3, 4 and 5), lots of bags and no accommodation. I'm not sure how Airbnb expected us to book new accommodation during the flight?!

Whilst Airbnb found alternative accommodation, being last minute we were hostage to whatever was available and had to pay £2500 (original booking was £1100). After massive amounts of negotiating in a very stressful 48 hours Airbnb offered £800 discount so we were still £700 out of pocket. Note AirBnb commission was £300.

We expect Airbnb to find and pay for equivalent accommodation if cancellation is within 24 hours. I am now looking to see how we get our £700 back never mind the costs for all the stress.