Host cancelled two days before arrival. No punishment?

Answered!
Liang3
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Host cancelled two days before arrival. No punishment?

I booked a room in Pasadena for 4 days, starting tomorrow. I contacted the host earlier and everything seemed to be in place, until yesterday. I received an email from Airbnb saying the host is no longer able to accommodate me because of "landlord issues" and I was issued a meager $30 credit for another booking. No apology or anything from the host herself. I had to find another place by myself and rebook my airport shuttles etc. Luckily there was another Airbnb place nearby or I'd be stuck with a $900 hotel bill. I wasted quite a bit of time making these alternate arrangements.

As I understand, if a host cancels on a guest, they will lose their super host status and have an automatic review posted saying the host cancelled X days before arrival. So far the host who canceled on me is still a super host and has no negative reviews. Is she really going to get away with no punishment and no warning to future guests? That seems very unfair.

1 Best Answer

@Liang3  I just read your most recent post.....go back to that listing....click on REPORT THIS LISTING....that will help Airbnb to get to it faster in shutting it down.  (if indeed your booking was cancelled by host due to landlord issues).  Airbnb has so many listings that are reported its hard to get to them all in a quick manner, but reporting it does help. Just this past month, I reported on TWO fake listings in my town.  How did I know?  Because the homes are actually on the market for sale, and my girlfriend is the realtor selling it.  This happens alot.  So I help Airbnb and potential vacationers by "keeping an eye" on listings in my town.  And flagging them all down!

Its disgusting what scammers are doing and the homeowners doesn't even know its happening.  They are hoping ppl will send them money directly to their PayPal...thats the scam.   Even a well known You Tuber was scammed in Honolulu, google it, you will find the story.  They sent the money to the person listing the home, and not Airbnb.  They learned a $5000 valuable lesson!!! 

Or you can call into Airbnb and let them know the listing is still up.  Probably the tenant hasn't removed it yet.  Check their calendar, are dates open for future bookings?  If so, definitely call Airbnb ASAP!  That needs to be taken down immediately.  What a shame! 

EDITED TO ADD:  Yale and MIT education?!  Super impressive Liang.  It must be so interesting having conversations with you. I would welcome it. :))

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Probably a extenuating circumstance.

David

The explanation I got from customer services is " your host no longer proceed with the reservation due to landlord issues [sic]". Does not sound like a valid excuse to me.

That would depend on the details.

David

Airbnb policy clearly states that hosts can only cancel under extreme circumstances. Even instant book hosts can only cancel on a guest if they have valid reason to feel uncomfortable about this guest. This is clearly not the case here, and it should be the host’s responsibility to make sure they are allowed to rent their property before listing it. Sounds like the host got in trouble with the landlord, which is not my fault. Why should I have to deal with the consequences with basically no compensation or penalty for the host?

Hosts can cancel under any circumstances, there are certain situations where penaties for doing so are not applied.

What happened in this case is speculation.

David

Which certainly means I will never book again with Airbnb in the future. This handling is extremely unsatisfactory.

In the very least, I expect a proper explanation and alternate arrangements made on my behalf by Airbnb.

@Liang3 I agree with you that Airbnb should help you arrange for something else - at such a short notice this is what another big website does. So Airbnb should make sure they learn from booking.com.

But not all hosts are like that. Here in the community, a vast majority of hosts do not cancel st all. So maybe make sure you choose the right host next time.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4, you are right that not all Airbnb hosts are like that. This is my third time using Airbnb. My previous two hosts were great. But again, there's no way to know which hosts are reliable if Airbnb doesn't even warn future guests when a host has canceled with incredibly short notice before, like in my case. She actually has a bunch of positive reviews, which is why I chose her in the first place. There really should be a very visible warning on her profile and her "super host" status should be revoked.

@Liang3  HI there....Superhost from Hawaii here.  Just wanted to let you know that this particular person will most likely lose their Superhost status once ALL the evaluations are completed in the next few days around the world.  These are done every 3 months.  The quarter ended Sept 30th.   If a host DOES cancel, for landlord issues, that is 100% noted on their account and the team that does the SH evaluations will unfortunately make the decision to revoke their SH status. 

I am so glad that you wrote saying you had had 2 other great experiences.  However,  I would like to point out that your confirmation emails from Airbnb about your Pasadena place does have the phone number for AIRBNB in it.  All you had to do was call in and they would have absolutely helped you find another place.  Their call center is open 24/7.  If you are are unhappy in any way, perhaps you would feel better to call in even today.  They have the best phone support out of any company I have worked with. 

While I was hosting a couple from Austria in May 2017, they received a cancellation from a host that was to be their next destination in Hawaii on another island in 5 days.  That was just as stressful to them.  Thankfully, while I cooked their breakfast,  I immediately showed them the phone number for Airbnb customer service in their emails, and we called in.  Within 15 mins, Airbnb staff had found them another nice place, reassured them they would be receiving a full refund including their service fees, and even gave them a new place to stay with a discount that comes from receiving a cancellation notice.  Was I disappointed that their host didn't even write them ??  You bet I was!  That's NOT how many of us do business!  But the good news is, they were able to use my Iphone, call Airbnb and all was taken care of before they had even finished the delicious breakfasts I prepared.  Airbnb even sent me a gift for taking the time to help them through a difficult situation.  (Yes I helped them too in picking the new place along with the Airbnb employee since I grew up on that island)

To address why you probably received an email regarding landlord issues, [as I am in the legal field], I can tell you that its happening all over Honolulu.  Landlords are finding out that their tenants are subletting their places without permission and possibly violating their rental lease.  Tenants are having to pay fines not only to their landlords but to Airbnb as well.  They are penalized with a fee for cancelling a booking. (unless Airbnb decides its extenuating like pipes broke, or storm ruined listing, etc.  

I own a rental property and my lease strictly states that there is to be no sub leasing or Airbnbing allowed.  My rental property is for the 3 family members who rented it.  Plus my rental property is in an AOAO and that's their rule too. 

This host "rental tenant" was most likely caught and had to shut down their Airbnb business immediately therefore resulting in many cancellations.  This host absolutely should have written you an apology and a humble explanation.  Unprofessional that they didn't.  But then again, not every host who joins Airbnb is being professional, some are just trying to pay their rent. (illegally) 

Perhaps in the future, when you want to book another place (private room or entire apartment), it might serve you well to ask the person hosting if they actually own their home, or rent their apartment?  And if they are renters, do they have permission to be on Airbnb with their landlord?  It would save you a lot of grief down the road.  Its unfortunate that not everyone is doing the right thing, but I can tell you, that if you ever find yourself in Honolulu, we would love to host you in OUR HOME that we own.    IN 27 months, I have never cancelled on anyone who booked the "SURFER ROOM".

As a matter of fact, I also prepare a nice breakfast daily and provide Happy Hour to those guests who come with a happy grateful attitude and stay with us as an outstanding guests!  :))

Let us know how your next stay worked out....we love to read about Good News on the CC!  Hope I was helpful in some way. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Hi,

I'm surprised by your posting. My host canceled; I looked at every email I got from AirBnB for this reservation and there is *no single phone number* in any of them. Discounts? There is nothing about that in the emails I got or in my online account. Cancellations noted in the host file: well I do not know when that could hypothetically happen, but for now, the host has no automatic review about the cancellation.

Eric

PS: As far as I can see, guests are not well protected againts host cancellation. If a guest cancels, he gets a penalty. If the host cancels, AirBnB charges the host (AirBnB makes money out of this!). The guest does get a refund, but he is left suffering from fewer listings for the same dates. 

@Eric473 I'm sorry that happened to you too. I absolutely agree Airbnb should handle this better. Did you ever hear from them? I received a message with a coupon immediately after the host cancelled, so you should try calling their customer service if you haven't heard back. It may also be useful to file a complaint on Better Business Bureau. If you end up having to pay a lot more out of pocket for this, BBB may help you get some of that money back. 

Hi Momi,

I just had a similar experince, my reservation is for this Saturday and upon confirming with the host, she said it would have to be cancelled.  No other explanation.  The main issue is that we're going to a convention in Anaheim and there is NO airbnb availability for miles around!  Lots of people for the convention!  I've spent most of today trying to find something else and finally landed a hotel where the cost is over twice as much.  Does airbnb have any assistance or compensation plan for such short notice and such a cost difference, not to mention my time to find a new place.  That's what I try to avoid by booking so far in advance, especially for a convention with 12,000 people!  Suggestions?

@Frank331

Not sure if it is a rule but ABB will normally contribute 10% and help you find somewhere else to stay.

David

@Frank331 

First, what a bummer that this host is choosing to do this, but do not cancel your booking yourself.  Make the host do it as they will get charged a monetary fee as well as get an automated review post on their listing that they cancelled.  Did you know you can also leave your own review on THEIR listing even if the booking was cancelled?

Second, open your email from Airbnb that they sent when they confirmed this place for you back when you booked and look for the phone number for 24/7 customer service toll free number.  They absolutely will help you.   I personally was cancelled on by a host who was shut down for a bad case of bed bugs.  Airbnb found me another place and gave me a full refund. (plus discounted my next stay).  Unfortunately, it seems my host previous guest may have brought the bugs in with their luggage. He had never had that issue before.

Piece of helpful advice....try to book with a Superhost first as they have earned that badge for never cancelling on a guests within one year.  I am a Superhost for the past 29 months and I have never cancelled on a guest in 2.7 years.   

Please share with all of us how it turned out for you.  Hope you get good news.  And if you ever find yourself coming to Hawaii, look me up.  I make a wonderful full Hawaiian breakfast every morning.  (and offer Pineapple wine at night).  

Aloha,  Momi

Aloha, Momi