Host cancelled two days before arrival. No punishment?

Answered!
Liang3
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Host cancelled two days before arrival. No punishment?

I booked a room in Pasadena for 4 days, starting tomorrow. I contacted the host earlier and everything seemed to be in place, until yesterday. I received an email from Airbnb saying the host is no longer able to accommodate me because of "landlord issues" and I was issued a meager $30 credit for another booking. No apology or anything from the host herself. I had to find another place by myself and rebook my airport shuttles etc. Luckily there was another Airbnb place nearby or I'd be stuck with a $900 hotel bill. I wasted quite a bit of time making these alternate arrangements.

As I understand, if a host cancels on a guest, they will lose their super host status and have an automatic review posted saying the host cancelled X days before arrival. So far the host who canceled on me is still a super host and has no negative reviews. Is she really going to get away with no punishment and no warning to future guests? That seems very unfair.

1 Best Answer

@Liang3  I just read your most recent post.....go back to that listing....click on REPORT THIS LISTING....that will help Airbnb to get to it faster in shutting it down.  (if indeed your booking was cancelled by host due to landlord issues).  Airbnb has so many listings that are reported its hard to get to them all in a quick manner, but reporting it does help. Just this past month, I reported on TWO fake listings in my town.  How did I know?  Because the homes are actually on the market for sale, and my girlfriend is the realtor selling it.  This happens alot.  So I help Airbnb and potential vacationers by "keeping an eye" on listings in my town.  And flagging them all down!

Its disgusting what scammers are doing and the homeowners doesn't even know its happening.  They are hoping ppl will send them money directly to their PayPal...thats the scam.   Even a well known You Tuber was scammed in Honolulu, google it, you will find the story.  They sent the money to the person listing the home, and not Airbnb.  They learned a $5000 valuable lesson!!! 

Or you can call into Airbnb and let them know the listing is still up.  Probably the tenant hasn't removed it yet.  Check their calendar, are dates open for future bookings?  If so, definitely call Airbnb ASAP!  That needs to be taken down immediately.  What a shame! 

EDITED TO ADD:  Yale and MIT education?!  Super impressive Liang.  It must be so interesting having conversations with you. I would welcome it. :))

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

@Liang

It would be a very valid excuse if the Landlord insurance did not cover Airbnb activity, because reading between the lines the tenant (in other words your Host) was using a property she did not own for the purposes of Airbnb without permission of the Landlord, which from my own experience seem to be endemic in the rental market.

With regards to Airbnb punishing your Host it won't happen, because that's exactly what the founders of Airbnb where doing in the first place, did Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia get their landlords permission when they allowed people to crash out on airbeds in their rented apartment for a fee?

Regards

Cormac

Airbnb Host and property-owning Landlord

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Then what on earth was she doing renting property that she has no right to rent? And why is this listing still up, under “super host” status, only for her and future guests to get into trouble? This is extremely irresponsible behaviour.

And that settles it. I will never use Airbnb ever again. Seems like some hosts can be sketchy as hell and there’s no way for me to know which ones are legit.

@Liang3  I just read your most recent post.....go back to that listing....click on REPORT THIS LISTING....that will help Airbnb to get to it faster in shutting it down.  (if indeed your booking was cancelled by host due to landlord issues).  Airbnb has so many listings that are reported its hard to get to them all in a quick manner, but reporting it does help. Just this past month, I reported on TWO fake listings in my town.  How did I know?  Because the homes are actually on the market for sale, and my girlfriend is the realtor selling it.  This happens alot.  So I help Airbnb and potential vacationers by "keeping an eye" on listings in my town.  And flagging them all down!

Its disgusting what scammers are doing and the homeowners doesn't even know its happening.  They are hoping ppl will send them money directly to their PayPal...thats the scam.   Even a well known You Tuber was scammed in Honolulu, google it, you will find the story.  They sent the money to the person listing the home, and not Airbnb.  They learned a $5000 valuable lesson!!! 

Or you can call into Airbnb and let them know the listing is still up.  Probably the tenant hasn't removed it yet.  Check their calendar, are dates open for future bookings?  If so, definitely call Airbnb ASAP!  That needs to be taken down immediately.  What a shame! 

EDITED TO ADD:  Yale and MIT education?!  Super impressive Liang.  It must be so interesting having conversations with you. I would welcome it. :))

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Hi @Momi0. Thank you for the tips. I saw in my emails that you had written another comment earlier, but that's not showing anymore. It was actually very nice to read, and you sound like a wonderful host.

I was in touch with Airbnb over email since I've been busy at work these two days, but I probably should have called. That would have given me a more direct answer. I will be reporting the listing, as you suggested. I just hope there won't be more travellers who have to deal with this! It was incredibly stressful, and I'm still relatively new to Airbnb, which made it worse.

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind words and advice. My brother-in-law lives in Hawaii, so I'll be visiting sometime, and perhaps I will even get to stay with you!

@Liang3  YOU are most welcome!! I am so glad you found my post reply to be helpful, informative and insightful to staying with another host.  I appreciate so much that you wrote back. Unfortunately not everyone does. 

And yes, I hope you do find yourself visiting your brother in law in Hawai'i soon and staying with me for a night or two. I promise, my breakfast alone will help you forget all about that host's cancellation.  It would be a pleasure to host a 5 Star guests like you.  Especially one I can enjoy a great conversation with.  🙂

Stay in touch.  Hope all goes well with your upcoming trip. 

Thanks for marking my answer as "Being the Most Helpful". 

Aloha, Momi

oh and one more thing.....my earlier post is STILL there.  All you have to do is go back to this topic thread and scroll backwards until you see it.  Or you can click on the bottom of the page and choose PAGE #2 as that is where it is.  I assure you, its there.  🙂

Thanks for the compliments.  That was very sweet of you and I was glad to help. 

Aloha, Momi

Hi @Momi0. Sorry I never replied. I somehow missed your last two messages. But thanks for your help! I was lucky enough to find another host in the same price range and they were extremely nice people who treated me like a friend and fed me breakfast (like you do). That restored my faith somewhat. All the best and I hope to see more wonderful hosts like you.

@Liang3   You are so so welcome!  I am thrilled that I was able to help you, and more importantly you found another great ABB hosts who took such great care of you.  (breakfast is always a plus) haha.

My current guests (New York Film maker) told me today at check in that they chose me based on my Superhost status and because I provide a wonderful full breakfast.  (they have stayed at 18 other Airbnb's around the world), and they now say its the best bed with awesome linens.  Makes me so happy! I bought those soft cotton linens while visiting my friend in New Zealand who is also an ABB Superhost.  (after one night in her bed, I wanted the same linens for my home and our ABB guests too) 

Stay in touch, hope to meet you and make breakfast  for you too.  😉

Aloha, Momi

Well the problem is with airbnb to start with, giving them an out because they have so many listing it's hard to keep track of just does't really wash. I was amazed when we listed our property, we weren't asked for proof that we owned it, or even proof that we even lived there. Just proof of identity, they run a loose ship in my opinion.

@Scott-and-Sherryn0

Well this has been discussed before, I rent out long term as well and have not been asked for such information. Not through AirBnB.

I started thinking about how you could do this, well if I was asked to do it what would I do.

Not so much an issue with a long term rental, you could check every time the property was let, would no doubt cost a fair bit but you can spread the cost over the rental period so not too big a hit to a Tenant.

Short term is totally different, would cost a lot to list a property and I not sure many Hosts would sign up, and then how often do you re visit?

David

@David126I don't quite follow you, what would cost a fair bit?The issue I bought up was identification and proof of ownership which is pretty simple.

Stops the children renting out the house while th parents are on holiday, or people signing a long term lease on multiple houses and become a booking agent themselves.

Just a few points:

1. ABB operates world wide, so what may be simple down under may not be quite so simple elsewhere.
  2. How many Hosts own their property? So leases to check.
  3. You would also need to check that STR is a permitted use.
  4. Certainly not a job for someone who is not a Professional in this area, I can see multiple overlapping knowledge needed.
  5. You would need expertise in each geographic area, maybe Australia has a common system, in the US it would be by State not Country.
David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Think things have gone off track, to recap

AirBnB know about the situation.

They provided a top up credit as well as refund which seem standard

I do not know if the OP sought help in finding another place, but one was found.

The only information about the reason why is 'landlord issues', I see lots of speculation as to what that might mean and could think of another dozen or so possibilities.

It seems that ABB have treated it as an extenuating circumstance. My only person experience of such an incident involved a burst pipe and despite being very clear it was an extenuating circumstance when reporting the issue I had to have further conversations to make sure it counted as such.

Not sure what the point of flagging is, ABB are of course aware of the situation, they were the ones who informed the OP.

When my incident happened I did also message the Guest explaing the situation, I think the Host should have said something, just polite,  but that would not have changed the situation.

David

@David126 The listing has been taken down, as it should be. Airbnb's standard response to incidents like this is far from satisfactory. The $36 credit they gave doesn't even make up for the cost of rebooking my airport shuttle, and this credit is only usable if I plan to book another place with Airbnb. And again, if it really was a burst pipe, they would have told me exactly so. The most obvious interpretation of "landlord issues" is the host was renting the place without permission.

I understand your urge to defend your fellow host, but I don't think it helps future guests feel more secure about booking with Airbnb.

I am not going to have a go at someone without knowing what happened, I am sure many Hosts are hosting without authorisation in one form or another, had somebody who stayed who used to rent out not on AirBnb and now her Municapity has banned short term renting, we looked and there are listings on AirBnB.

I think the amount AirBnB pay in way of compensation is related to the booking fee rather than anything else..

David