Host claiming damages when the booking was cancelled

Tess54
Level 2
Sandringham, Australia

Host claiming damages when the booking was cancelled

Hey everyone!

I had a terrible Airbnb experience over the weekend and unfortunately it continues! 

I booked to stay in Brisbane for a night after work this weekend. After getting up at 4:30am to fly to Brisbane and working at 10 hour day I arrived at the Property to find it in a disgusting state, bed unmade dirty sheets with stains, wet towels on the counters and floor and the kitchen full of empty bottles and rubbish. I attempted to contact the host who refused my calls and sent me a text to say they were busy. 

I left in the pouring rain in the dark to find a new hotel down the road and after several hours on Airbnb support they managed to cancel the booking for me and process the refund. 

2 days later I get a message from Airbnb saying that I am being charged for damages at the property which I didn't even stay in. I'm accused of having a party and breaking windows.

I have provided airbnb with proof of my location throughout the day as well as the receipt from my stay at the other hotel and a statement from that hotel saying that we stayed with them. 

However airbnb are saying that if the host has proof my evidence doesn't count and that the case manager on my case is going away for a week so I must wait until she returns to solve this. 

This is a very uncomfortable situation and I am appalled that someone would try to take advantage of me like this. 

Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with this? Is there any Airbnb representatives in Australia that I can speak with somehow? 

2 Replies 2
Jade105
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Tess,

That is beyond terrible what has happened to you. You haven't indicated how much they want to charge you for the alleged damage, though I assume it will not be a small sum based on the broken window, etc. It sounds like AirBnB is not responding to your evidence and that is baffling. I would recommed holding onto ANY evidence you have, such as if you took photos of the AirBnB unit when you arrived, and all your receipts, etc. Definitely look up an AirBnB representative in Austrailia, and try to resolve the issue with your case worker first, though it is frustrating to have to wait. I would also recommend responding with strength - if you've done nothing wrong, refuse to pay. Tell AirBnB that you will retain counsel if necessary. Do not let anyone bully you.

Good luck!

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Tess0 I’ve found Twitter really helpful in the past. They should be able to get you another case manager assigned hopefully.

Help desk for Oz is  61 2 8520 3333