Host decides at last minute to stay in the home with the guests there. What to do?

John466
Level 1
Fairfax, VA

Host decides at last minute to stay in the home with the guests there. What to do?

My apologies if this is a "host only" forum, but I found nowhere else to ask this question.  My experiences staying in airbnb homes have all been wonderful, but this stay has taken a bit of a twist.  We rented a three bedroom "entire home" knowing the third bedroom would be locked and not accessible to us.  Two days before we are scheduled to arrive the host sent this messsage: "Hey an emergency came up and myself and my niece will be at the property for a few days.  We will not get in your way and we will hardly be in the home we will stay outta your way."  Does this seem weird to you?  What would you do?  Thank you.

5 Replies 5
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@John466 I'd let it slide. Doesn't sound creepy or anything, and it's probably just as described -- a last-minute, unavoidable, change of plans. Perhaps ask for a bit of a discount?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Dede0 I don't agree at all - why should they let it slide? The booked a whole property in the expectation that this would be sole use. Why would they want to share it with two strangers.

@John466 - This is very arrogant and rude of the host to do this.

I agree with other posters. I would call BNB explain the situation and ask them to help cancel the booking and find you a suitable alternative.

Best of luck let us know how it goes.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

If they are sharing any part of the house with you, it is not an "entire house" rental. I would call Airbnb and have then cancel it without penalty or ask for a deep discount that would make this worth the stay.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@John466

As a host I would have handled the situation differently.  I had a similar situation earlier this year and I simply rented an airbnb apartment for myself for the days in question.

The situation right now is that you do not get what you are paying for and are expecting.  If you are very uncomfortable with the situation you should contact airbnb and have the reservation cancelled and let them help you finding an alternative.  If you can live with the situation, I would ask for a discount.  

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@John466

I have read numerous times that hosts offering more than one bedroom  in a home are encouraged by Airbnb personnel to list it as entire place. That said, they must explain the situation clearly in the listing.

What you describe is a host going back on the conditions that you rented it from them if it was not clear in advance that host would be present.

I agree that calling Airbnb is the way to go in this case. In case your exchange with the host was off the booking message page, then a tip for the future: keep conversations on that medium because it creates a record of proof that Airbnb has insight into in case of disputes. Even if an exchange was by sms or verbal it's always good to reiterate it on the Airbnb message thread.

Hope you find a good solution.