Host dishonesty

Wanting0
Level 2
Newcastle, South Africa

Host dishonesty

I booked a shared room in gold coast and unfortunately my friend lost my key while holding my bag for me. I told the host I will certainly cover all the costs needed. She told me she will find out the cost to replace the key. As I had to move on to the next destination, I told her I can transfer her 650 AUD first she then can transfer the difference back to me once she has found out the cost. The next day she told me it would be 165 dollars to replace the key even though she did not send me any quote and she will transfer me the difference. Once the payment has hit her account, she stopped replying and never transferred the money back to me. I was so disappointed as she was being so nice thank but yet she decided to take all the money away. I understand it’s my fault for losing the key but I told the host that I was willing to cover any cost that was needed. What should I do ?

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Wanting0   Did you transfer the money on the AirBnB platform?  Or did you Venmo or use another App?

You should have waited until the host sent you a bill through the AirBnB Resolution Center.  If you sent the money another way, and your host is indeed taking advantage, you may not see a return of the balance.  If you paid via credit card, you may want to contact your credit card company. 

Your previous host may also be having difficulty contacting you.  Once a guest has left, I no longer have the ability to email them from the AirBnB website.  There is no "email to guest" link.  I also no longer have their phone number, so I can't text them.   

Reach out to your host again, and try to contact her via phone (call, not text) to see if you can reach a solution.  Good luck.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

$650 AUD for a key? Even 165 seems excessive, a quality lock is around that price.