Host forces me to Cancel

Daniela368
Level 1
Mexico City, Mexico

Host forces me to Cancel

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with one of my reservations for this summer, I booked 3 months ago a room in a Resort in Philippines and my host decided to cancel "for external reasons that doesn't depend on him" and I understand he can have problems with the resort but he doesn't want to cancel and he wants me to do it. 

As far as I know if he is cancelling he needs to complete the cancellation process so that I don't get any fee penalty but he wants me to absorb that. 

I kindly asked him to do it and he keeps on denying to until the point he is not answering anymore my messages. 

I really can't waste that amount of money and I don't want to risk loosing it. I have already made another reservation but I'm very upset about his attitude, is there a way Airbnb can force him to do it the way he should be and not asking me to do it for him? 

I appreciate a lot your help,

Kind regards,

Dani

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daniela368

Contact Airbnb - there are full contact details on your confirmed reservation. You are correct not to cancel as you may lose money

Thank you!!! How can I contact them? Is there a support email or something like that?

Michelle486
Level 1
Ilkley, United Kingdom

My host has also forced me to cancel and then sent me this message for another booking I have with him

Hi Michelle... sorry about the late reply...saw it last night...made me think..and then I´ve been in meetings all day. As you know I have strict cancellation policy in Stykkisholmur and I can´t see any legit reason for cancellation there just because you have to change where you sleep in Reykjavik for one night. Or why you should have to change your whole holiday itinerary, and I´m sure the airbnb staff agrees with me.

*I send a customer cancellation request to hime, but ask fo other booking I have to be cancelled as I'm worried about his reliability and he writes to me* 

You took the wrong turn here Michelle. No more mr.nice guy. You may apologize for your rudeness and ignorance and I will possible maybe consider refund. T
Yesterday at 22:57
Not really. I have dealt with hundreds of customers successfully. You are my first nutcase. So this is interesting.

All I want is to not have to deal with this man let  alone meet hime, stay in his property with my two young children and rely on him to be a good host.  Not a good holiday plan!

Michelle (Scared)

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Michelle486

No need to be scared.  If you booked a room at a non-refundable rate at a hotel, would you be refunded if you cancelled ? No, you would not. You entered a contract with this host who has a strict cancellation policy and agreed to these terms and conditons at the time of booking.  If you need to cancel, that is what you do and you get your refund according to the host's cancellation policy.  

Stykkisholmur is a remote countryside location and he may not even be able to re-rent. He is running a business, not a charity.

If you need to change dates, that is another matter and subject to availability.

If the host cancels on a guest, there are severe penalties involved.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...  - virtually commercial suicide.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Daniela368

I would advise you to contact airbnb in the matter.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Michelle486 I agree with @Marit-Anne0, you do not want to stay there, was your call, cancel. Keep it simple.

David