Host in Egypt being asked to submit US taxpayer information!

Samah0
Level 2
Cairo, Egypt

Host in Egypt being asked to submit US taxpayer information!

I am an Egyptian super host based in Cairo, Egypt with 3 listings all in Cairo, Egypt, for almost 3 years now and i am suddenly being asked to submit US taxpayer information and for 3 weeks now nobody has been responding me or clarifying what is going on from the customer service. Once i got an answer saying i received the email by mistake and another time i was just sent an article with the process for how to enter the taxpayer information and if i dont they will withhold 30% of my earnings! and nobody is actually listening to me or talking to me its like i am talking to robots with automated messages! Can someone please help, i am seriously considering removing all my listings if this doesnt get resolved in the next day or two! 

3 Replies 3
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Samah0 This must be a mistake that Airbnb has sent you submit US taxpayer information.I would advice you to immediately contact Airbnb via twitter @AirbnbHelp or call them on the following number United States (USA): +1-415-800-5959 or United Kingdom: +44 203 318 1111 Good luck!!!

I did contact them repeatedly every day for the last week and i keep getting a different answer every time and most times i just get the "you must submit your tax information otherwise we willl withhold 30%" completely ignoring everything i am telling them about how according to their own policies i am NOT subject to US tax! And apparently some people are suing them since has happened before and the 30% that was withheld has disappeared and cannot be returned! I really dont know what to do

And whenever i asked to talk aabout this on the phone with someone they refused and said it has to be by email since this is sensitive information so it must be documented and then i end up getting that silly article 

"The reason we are required to withhold taxes from your payouts is because we have not yet received your taxpayer information, in the case that you meet the threshold of 200 reservations and $20,000 in earnings. Without your taxpayer information, Airbnb is required to withhold 30% under an IRS regulation known as 6050W. It's called backup withholding.

You may submit your information here: https://www.airbnb.com/users/payout_preferences/taxes/forms/new

Once we receive your information, we will no longer be required to withhold taxes from your payouts. However, any amounts that have already been withheld to be remitted to the IRS cannot be returned to you. At the end of the year, we'll provide you with a tax form showing your total income for the year as well as the total amount withheld so that you can account for any withholdings on your income tax return.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if I can assist in any other way."