Host in Spain asked for passport information due to "police report"

Alex489
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host in Spain asked for passport information due to "police report"

On arrival my host asked me to sign a form with passport information because apparently it is required in Spain by the police.

I was just wondering how it is used, whether this is legit or my info is searched etc.

42 Replies 42

Marit Anne, thanks for the information. Yes, I am looking at only Superhosts with significant positive reviews. Mankind has definitely not caught up with technology. LOL!

@Danny125

They also need a licence number to be legal.  

Like this one as an example  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/744153

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Danny125,

It is required by law in Portugal too.

So I have it clearly written in my houserules, that we have to obtain this information.

Otherwise the guests are not allowed to stay.

And yes, it is a lot of hassle - to gather this information correctly.

Because a lot of people have exactly the same worries as you - or do not provide all information required.

Or supply incorrect data, such as: City of Birth: England

Michelle1127
Level 1
Lake Forest, CA

Hi Alex, i was wondering how this went? I’m getting asked the same thing and am concerned. I’ve never heard of this law. Can someone send me a government doc for proof of this??? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michelle1127 we must report a temporary place of stay for all of our guests within 12 hours of arrival,if not, the fines are huge. But if you don't want to give your personal information you can go to the police station yourself and fill out the forms but still show them to the host because he needs to know that you are registered. In both ways he will see your information. We had only one guest complain and said they will go to the police station but they never went and we didn't check so they couldn't leave the country without the documents. It is not that hosts like spending money getting the paperwork and spending time going every day reporting guests but with the existing fines it is a must.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Ana1136,

I fully agree!

Usually it takes me (per group of guests) all-in-all: Roughly 1,5-2 hours to get everything done: Acquiring the information from the guests beforehand. Explaining why it is neccessary (although it is clearly stated in our houserules, which they have to accept upon booking). Fill out a seperate form per individual in the group of guests. Verify the information on arrival. And entering the data in the government systems (I'm a remote host, trying to get the information post arrival is not a road I would like to persue).

I would be more than happy NOT having to do it. But it is the law in Portugal, as well as in many other European countries nowadays. We had guests staying before. And they were questioning this as well. So I pointed them to the official site, containing the text of the law. And then they were complaning, they couldn't read it. As it was all in Portuguese! So, I pointed them to another site, which clearly explained the process in proper English. And then they were complaining again, for the site not to be an official site.

Their only reasoning: We are not used to this in our home-country!

Well sorry, I didn't make up the law. But without ID-registration, they just can't stay!

When a guest is not properly and verified reported to the authorities and the guest enganges in criminal activities, during the stay. I can be send to jail! No, Thanks.

Guests wants us to trust them completely with our high-value investments. And they don't trust us with their personal data? But apparently they don't have any hesitation at all for giving away their private information, free of charge to Google and Facebook.

Sigh!!!

Hi Michelle, 

Sorry I never replied and it is very late now but just for the reference of others, after staying in Spain holiday rentals various times now I believe it is a standard procedure for this to be done and you shouldn’t have any concern.

Mark1272
Level 2
Marbella, Spain

YOU NEED ID ON BOOKING IN SPAIN HOTEL APARTMENT VILLA HOUSE POLICE MUST BE INFORMED ON ARRIVAL SPAINISH LAW 2000 FINE IF NOT DONE 

Fabrizio63
Level 3
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Spanish law 4/2015 dated March the 30th require to recover the personal information of all guests (for apartments, rooms, hotels, etc.) to send it to the police.

It is for the safety of all of us and I think that many countries have the same rule today.

*edited*

Fabrizio63
Level 3
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

E.C. 
Real Decreto (R.D.) 113/2015, may 22nd - Cap. II - Art.8

Maarit6
Level 2
Helsinki, Finland

In EU we can travel without passports,so what if I don't have it, just an ID?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Maarit6 yes, Passport or ID, whatever you have. 

Nomal EU ID is fine. 

Hi. No, you are required to have your passport at hand if you leave your home country now. This has been changed by the EU I think. I even have to take my passport with me when going to Sweeden now, never had that before. Times are changing. 

Sweden is an exception