Host is asking payment outside airbnb

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

Host is asking payment outside airbnb

I found a place to stay, ask to host about pets, she didn't nothing about, so I did my reservation, pay all. Then the afterward my payment, the host charge me more 500 euros for pet taxes, gas taxes, and tourist taxes. So almost half of the entire reservation value. And worst, the host asked me pay this new value directly to her, instead use aribnb. I asked to cancel my reservation, what did airbnb reply? "we can do nothing"....

34 Replies 34

@Alisson26 Please do update. I hope you get this sorted, but it sounds like you are finally onto someone who is competent to help. Best luck!

@Colleen253 hi, I did it, the first guy named as Harald from Airbnb Support, gave me a poor solution, any feedback, he did a mess. However a woman called Teresa R (through a call to airbnb), help a lot and she could solve the problem and I'll be refund.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Alisson26 

I am so sorry to hear that and you're being frustrated.

Airbnb hosts are forbidden to collect extra payment from guest. This is violating Airbnb terms and policy. 

Never and ever via bank transfer payment or pay cash offline to the Airbnb host.

Kindly contact Airbnb Support Help Center, do " Live Chat " with the team( not with an Airbnb bot ), that is always someone here to answer you within a few minutes,  report the incident to the case manager, ask to cancel your reservation on the host side, refund your full payment and also do request to relocate you to a new place immediately.

hi, I did it, the first guy named as Harald from Airbnb Support, gave me a poor solution, any feedback, he did a mess. However a woman called Teresa R (through a call to airbnb), help a lot and she could solve the problem and I'll be refund.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Alisson26 

A host can ask for additional direct payments under certain conditions as stated in the help article below;

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/251/what-if-a-host-asks-for-more-money

You may owe more money if:

• Your host requires taxes to be paid at check-in—this needs to be clearly stated on the listing prior to booking.
  • You booked a type of place, usually a hotel, that charges additional fees. These charges must be detailed on the listing page, and shown in your price breakdown before you book

The help article then goes on to state;

If a host asks you for more money than what you paid on the site and the extra charge wasn’t stated in the listing, in the price breakdown, or in the message thread, you can dispute the charges in the Resolution Center. Never pay a host directly for these charges.

I would recommend to follow this advice and ask the host to return monies out with the conditions above.

With the resolution centre, airbnb will get involved if you invoke.

Hi, in my case the host did a lot of illegal things, as charge by a tourist taxes (she even say nothing about it on advertisement), by the aribnb rules it couldn't be charged, she didn't said nothing when I said about the dogs, regard the price, and she is asking by payment outside airbnb.

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

I found a place to stay, ask to host about pets, she didn't nothing about, so I did my reservation, pay all. Then the afterward my payment, the host charge me more 500 euros for pet taxes, gas taxes, and tourist taxes. So almost half of the entire reservation value. And worst, the host asked me pay this new value directly to her, instead use aribnb. I asked to cancel my reservation, what did airbnb reply? "we can do nothing"....

@Alisson26 This feels wrong. can you post the listing so we can see what it says? I would also call Airbnb again and see if another customer support rep gives you the same answer.

@Mike-And-Jane0  thanks a lot  by join us.

What excatly would be listing ?Are you mean the entire speech that its?

thanks again

@Alisson26  When someone here asks you to post the listing, they mean the URL link of the listing itself, not a message conversation.

It's helpful, if someone is complaining about a listing, for responders to be able to look at the listing themselves to see if the host has failed to mention something, described things inaccurately, or if the guest just missed reading or understanding a part of it.

**[Personal conversation hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

@Mike-And-Jane0 these are the prints for now any support or a clear answer from Airbnb side.

@Mike-And-Jane0 now I did a internacional call to Airbnb Brazil, cause I couldn't find another number, and another woman said that will see whats is happing. But my checkin is to tomorrow...now the **bleep**t already happened cause I'm without courage to schedule a new reservation without has the guarante that I'll take my money back, due a ilegal host behavior, how you could see on pictures she is charge me tax that wasn't describe on advertised , on it just the gas tax was clear, and um phrase saying dogs under consult, what I did but she didn't answered nothing. Now had appeared the tourist taxes, the real price by the dogs, plus the gas(it I was aware about). And she is asking by payment outside airbnb before my arriving...Now tell me something...how can I trust in these entities..the host and airbnb? I'm not sure I've the courage and brave to staty in such place with such people that is making ilegal transactions..

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If these charges aren't displayed on the listing contact Sirbnb on their social media tell them (if true) the host is asking you to pay additional fees  not displayed on the listing. And to do so outside of Airbnb . @Alisson26 

Say they need to cancel so you can find something else . 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@alisson26

@Helen3 

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Why is this being posted under 2 different conversations with two different headers?

M199_0-1616632652251.png