Host is not refunding as I experienced heating issues and power outage in all bedrooms.

Md--Shahriar0
Level 2
Binghamton, NY

Host is not refunding as I experienced heating issues and power outage in all bedrooms.

Once I checked in to the apartment I booked through Airbnb on January 10, 2021, around 6 pm I noticed that I cannot access the thermostat as there was some kind of PIN. I contacted the host via Airbnb message right away but they did not resolve the issue by sending someone or calling me back during that night. I spent that night with my family without heat (it was quite cold outside and very chilly due to the location of the apartment on the 18th floor) and contacted the host again the following morning. They did not resolve the issue during the daytime either. They sent someone during the evening of January 11, which is 24 hours after I checked in to the apartment, and that guy gave me four space heaters and turned off the main switch for the central heating system. We turned on space heaters and those heaters tripped off the power for all three bedrooms in the apartment. We had no clue what was going on and I right away contacted the host but they did not send anybody to resolve the issue during that night as well. The host did not even bother to call me back or send a text that night and I along with my family just passed an uncertain night in that apartment. Thus, we had to stay another night without the heating in very cold weather and additionally without the power in all three bedrooms. After 24 hours of the power issue and 48 hours of stay without heating, a person came at night on January 12 and asked to use two space heaters instead of four to reduce the power load. When he left, we followed his instructions but again the power went off in all three bedrooms. We did not want to do any caricature in the main electrical switchboards as we did not want to get hurt anyway during a vacation that was already got ruined. I did not rent the property to rationing the power supply or live without the basic need like heating in cold weather. Thus, I and my family again stayed the third night without heat and the second night without the power in three bedrooms. We were so disappointed as these things were ruining my vacation and decided to check out on January 13, which is one day earlier than our scheduled check out date of January 14 morning, as the Airbnb case manager offered a cancelation of the reservation during our conversation regarding the issues I was facing during the stay.

I claimed a full refund but the host always declined the full refund claim and only offering me lower than one-third of the total reservation amount I paid. Please suggest to me what shall I do now? Should not I get a full refund as we suffered a lot during our stay and the host did not show any concern to resolve the issues quickly. They were reluctant to resolve the issue. Once I submitted a full refund claim they sent a person to figure out the power outage issues. Otherwise, they were not acting based on my complaints. How can a host take more than 24 hours to resolve such issues? I am surprised! I would appreciate your suggestions. 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Md--Shahriar0 Sadly, and unfairly, I fear that Airbnb will not encourage a high refund percentage because you didn't report the issue immediately or find alternative accommodation. I say unfairly because you are penalised for letting the host try to sort out the problem.

Hi Mike and Jane, 

Thanks for supporting me. But I involved Airbnb right away on January 11, which was my second day of stay. 

Rory85
Level 2
Lavallette, NJ

@Md--Shahriar0 @Mike-And-Jane0  

Did you contact the host through the app to relay these problems? Wouldn’t that text conversation be sufficient evidence to arbnb that the guest had an issue and the host did not resolve it? No heat or electric for several days seems to be a MAJOR problem in my opinion! Also, why did you not contact arbnb immediately when the host didn’t respond? Just curious. 

I contacted the host through the Airbnb app. I informed the host right away and thought that they will be able to operate that smart thermostat remotely and I was hoping to receive some support overnight but the host did not do anything and I involved Airbnb the next day evening once the host was not resolving the issue during the entire day. We did not know that the heating issue was not resolved by the end of the day as we were out of the apartment for sightseeing in the area. Basically, I put honest good faith in the host to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, they did not resolve it and without any claim from my end, they sent a $75 refund into my account. I was completely surprised by that sudden refund. But I was not satisfied with the refund and involved Airbnb right away claiming a full refund. That started my conversation with Airbnb. Airbnb case manager took so long to get back to me with some options and suggestions as the host declined my full refund request.  

Rory85
Level 2
Lavallette, NJ

@Md--Shahriar0 @That is an unfortunate situation, I agree. However, since you did stay several nights you would not be entitled a full refund regardless of the situation. 

Thanks a lot, Rory for joining the conversation. I understand what you said. But, keeping good faith in the host and Airbnb to resolve the issue ASAP should not be a penalty for me. It was also not possible to just leave the place right away in cold weather with a kid as we did not have any other places booked. Airbnb case manager assured me to look after the electricity issue on January 11 but the guy came to resolve it after 24 hours. Obviously, the way the guy tried to resolve it did not work in the end. I do not know what should have I done as I already notified Airbnb and they assured me of getting the issue resolved. Is there any particular timeline for Airbnb to get the host to resolve such issues? I do not know what took both the host and Airbnb so long to respond to the issues?  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Md--Shahriar0  I'm really sorry you had the misfortune to book a place with heating issues and a non-responsive host. I'm sure it was quite uncomfortable.

And Airbnb should have offered to try to find another place for you to relocate to. Their customer service lately is reportedly awful.

But you can't expect to stay somewhere for 3 days and nights, using the water, the cooking facilities, the electricity, the linens and towels and whatever else was provided and receive a full refund. If I had been in your shoes, I'd have cancelled the rest of the booking as soon as the issue wasn't resolved the day after you checked in. If I couldn't find another Airbnb, I would have checked into a hotel.

Guests should definitely give hosts the opportunity to remedy an issue, but leaving a family with no heat for 3 days and blowing breakers isn't an acceptable response.

You say you got $75 back, but I have no idea what you paid for this place. You can pursue a larger refund with Airbnb, but not expect to be refunded for the entire booking.