Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Hello

I'm currently a guest in someone's AirBnB apartment. Since living in the property, it has become aparent that the Host is not the owner of the property - he has sublet the property without the permission of his landlord and the landlord knows that I'm his 'Guest' in the property.

My question is this - can the landlord kick me out and essentially bypass the Host? Also, if the Host kicks me out of the property prior to the end date, can I get a refund? 

Thanks

120 Replies 120

So you'd rather these people not spend any money on anything else and just stay in the expensive apartment they rented?

@Robert123  No, that's not what I said at all, I don't know how you extrapolated that from what I wrote. I meant that it's bogus when someone claims that they can't afford the rent, when in fact they appear to have plenty of disposable income. What they mean is that they can't afford to buy themselves a host of items which aren't at all necessary, just stuff they want, if they don't get some help with the rent. So in other words, they want it all. It's an attitude of entitlement.

I agree with you Natalie. Simple things can be just that unless this ‘follow the law’ comes in... Almost all my co-workers go on a vacation and rent on airbnb. It’s cheaper and more at home atmosphere. They say, tenants tell them rules and policy not to bother neighbor while staying there and enjoy resting. Most of people nowadays makes little money and still try to go get-away with friends and family. Airbnb brings that needs to the trend nowadays. Landlord are scared because they think tenant who let them come in in the house and host, will ruin the house or break anything in the property. Airbnb clears this in the rules that anything breaks, credit cards will be charged so guest will always behave well and not break stuffs. If the house has well maintained by the tenant, sure thing landlord will be happier rather rent it to a tenant who is late to pay rent and not clean and maintain the house at all. So i guess the bottomline here is that, tenant make a little money out of airbnb for their hardwork maintaining the house to pay rent, in order for the landlord pay the mortgage... both is in ‘win-win’ situation... Rather than pinpointing each other who violates the law... we only live short life in this world, again, why make it so complicated... have a happy week everyone 🙂

@Maya96   You are not well informed about airrbnb's so-called security deposit. "Credit card will be charged so guest will always behave well and not break stuff". This is absolutely NOT TRUE. It is very very difficult for a host to get airbnb to charge a guest unless the guest agrees to pay. This forum is full of stories of guests who totally trashed houses and the hosts were unable to recieve ANY compensation. 

This is exactly why landlords do not want airbnb sublets.

Natalie, 

If you sign a contract stating you are not allowed to sublease, then you should not sublease. We all have bills to pay, and as a responsible homeowner, you cannot let someone rent your space without permission. There are way too many liabilities. Economy isn't that bad, there are plenty of jobs out there. If someone cannot afford the rent, they need to find a cheaper place to live. 

Sarah1317
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Hi Dave I am currently looking into situations like this, if you would be happy to contact further for a story I am doing please contact [Email address hidden as per the community guidelines] 

Many thanks.

Michael2819
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Are you still looking to run a story on this? If so, I have a recent experience that I would be interested in sharing

what are your details?  

it has been blocked

I have a similar situation and cannot get any info from air b and b who knowingly rents without permission from the owner or without a permit. Someone needs to file a suit against air b and b. They know what they are doing and it is wrong and even fradulent.

same problem happened with me. In atlanta

Hi there, I also live in Atlanta and my tenant is renting out my unit through Airbnb and won’t take the listing down. May i ask how you got the issue resolved?

@Doralee10 :  why do you think that Airbnb should get in the middle of a dispute between you and your tenant?

Hello,

I have been an AirBNB guest on numerous occasions and have spent an average of about 2-3 weeks with global support and Us based case managers.  Are you still working on a story?  I have plenty of documentation to support my crazy experiences with AirBNB hosts and how badly AirBNB personnel  handle cases due to different interpretations of protocols and various discrepancies from one call to the next.  They need a major overhaul.  

IG jannysaisquoi  

Hi Ali, I am in the same situation and think of getting a class action against Airbnb and my situation. Can you please get in touch? I am based in Hong Kong. Katya.cheng@hotmail.com or I will try to find your details on CBS New York website.

Hello, I’m currently in this situation now. Can you assist in any way?