Host left a bad review on my partner’s profile, lied and demanded for more money in text. Airbnb won’t do anything.

Answered!

Host left a bad review on my partner’s profile, lied and demanded for more money in text. Airbnb won’t do anything.

As mentioned.

We (group of friends and 2 dogs) stayed at a beach side property for 5 days. We enjoyed the property, had a great time, cleaned up after ourselves and took the trash out. When we left, we followed the instructions, thanked our hosts and promptly checked out.

To our horror, host left a bad review saying we trashed the place, there was fur and sand everywhere. They said it took 4 hours to clean the place. The fur was minimal but impossible to leave any out. When we booked the property, we specifically confirmed that it was dog friendly. Had they not want fur, they should not have allowed pets at all. 

Onto the lies, they said we left the place in a bad state. The property was by the beach and hence there was sand. We pay a cleaning fee but being a group of 6 with pets, we would be gladly to clean up more if there was cleaning equipment or house instructions. There was none. We used the oven to bake fish twice and didn’t expect to deep clean it. They claimed we left the oven in a BAD state and took 2 hours to bring it to an acceptable standard. At this point it’s just a gross and bizarre lie. 

Prior to receiving the nasty review, they sent a text message. We even asked how much the cleaning fee was with the intention to offer some form of payment to keep them happy. Partner has 10 glowing reviews from great hosts for the past 6 years but this has really left a sour taste.

We only responded to their review and can’t leave any. We originally left them a 5 star review but rescinded immediately after we found out what they did.

They even sent us a hand written receipt that says “extra cleaning $160, please pay” as if it was created hastily to extort more money from us.

Airbnb won’t remove their review and we are stuck with a permanent lie on our profile. Will it affect our future bookings? We are looking at alternatives and probably won’t use Airbnb anymore in the future. This is unnecessarily stressful. 

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mai2032  That happened to me at a vacation rental once, before Airbnb, and it was beyond infuriating.  It's a cynical ploy that certain long-time vacation rental owners have learned will bring them more money.

One outlier review among 10 glowing reviews won't cause most future hosts any alarm.  They'll be able to see pretty clearly what happened, and if they have any questions, they can ask.  Most will understand and won't hold it against your partner.

Just curious whether, looking back, there were any red flags with the listing, like previous bad reviews or anything else?  Probably not, because it sounds as if the host is skilled at blindsiding guests who've had a great beach vacation, write glowing reviews, and then get hit with the complaints.

Really sorry you had this experience, especially this year when you probably needed that break more than ever!

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I'm a guest with a lot of airbnb guest experience, as well as 25 years of customer service work experience at every level, so I'd love to be able to comment in response to your post. However, without seeing the host's review on your partner's profile and the response he gave to it, I don't feel like I have enough information to be able to accurately assess the situation in order to answer your questions or potentially alleviate your concerns. Your reviews, however, are excellent, and at least one host mentioned you had multiple guests booked under your profile, so if there's a serious concern with his profile, you can book under your own.