Host not paying cohost

Natania1
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Host not paying cohost

I have been co hosting for a year under the impression that once the initial start up fees ( buying beds, stocking kitchen supplies, other items) were paid off then I’d receive payment for managing the house and bookings. Currently the host lives 3 hours away and I have spent initial costs on starting the Airbnb. It’s been a year and the Airbnb has made money and I have received $0 payment for my efforts of being basically the on site host or even any payment of the out of pocket expenses for the Airbnb. He recently agreed to doing 20% , after much discussion, but then went back on his word. What should I do? 

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Natania1  I hope you had a written contract. It's hard to understand why you would continue to work for a year without ever being paid or being given funds up front to pay for expenses, rather than paying out of your own pocket.

You are looking at taking him to small claims court- Airbnb can't do anything about this- it's a business arrangement between you and the home owner. 

Thanks so much, unfortunately we didn’t have a written agreement from the start because he refused to do that ( probably covering his ass ) I guess I thought once he got some money back for his end of the initial investment he’d be feeling generous to start paying for the things I paid for the space too. I feel naive now and very taken advantage of. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Natania1 

I’m truly sorry to hear that, you being frustrated.

I have sign a agreement with  my co host and paid by weekly, so far so good. We come to be the best friends. 

You may consider to offer installment to let him to pay you back and also request for bartering.

Suggest that instead of monetary payment they can give you something of theirs of the same value. Communication with him, perhaps he can give  you his place without renting payment for certain times and you can find the guest to stay and pay directly to your account. Since he was dishonest, do sign an agreement to make everything clear.

Do you still have the keys? 

It has been extremely frustrating I actually live upstairs and occupy the space above and pay rent and was hoping to also work as a co host and receive from money from that as it’s very remote here and work is hard to find. I pay rent and he thinks our trade is living in such a nice space eve tho I already pay to live here. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Natania1 it seems like the first thing you should do is immediately stop working for free. Why would you let somebody take advantage of you like this? I'm guessing if you have no written contract you will most likely not prevail with legal action, but you could consult an attorney. If you undertake co-hosting again, make sure you have a written contract that clearly delineates your responsibilities and payment structure.

Thank you so much, your right why would I allow someone to take advantage of me like this!!! it’s very sad I felt like this person was family for me as I’ve known them for over 11 years and they have turned out to be just a master manipulator. I totally agree with small claims court. He didn’t want to write anything down from the start. 

@Natania1  That puts it in a little more understandable context. How unconscionable of them to abuse your trust and friendship like that.

This is why the old wisdom is not to try to mix business with friendship. Doesn't mean you can't do business with friends or family, but you still have to treat it like business, with written agreements. 

There's been many a friendship or family relationship destroyed over such things.

Best of luck- I hope you can get something worked out.