Host not responding after promising cancellation refund and customer service fails

Han1
Level 2
New York, NY

Host not responding after promising cancellation refund and customer service fails

Hello everyone,

This is my first time using this forum, but I would really appareciate any advice on my current situation.

I have been very frustrated over the last few days, and I sent this email earlier today to Aisling Hassell, head of customer experience, and cc'ed Brian Chesky, the CEO, which summed up my case nicely:

Dear Ms. Hassell,

My name is Harry **, a journalism grad student who is interning in Washington D.C. this summer. I recently used Airbnb for a long-term reservation, and it has become very frustrating that I am not even sure if I could get the refund I rightfully deserve. The customer service opened an investigation two days ago but has not offered me any update.

For your reference, this email concerns the confirmation code ***. I booked my stay in mid-May with the host for 71 nights, from June 3 to August 13 for the grand total of $2,450. I was immediately charged $1,058 for the first 30 days after the confirmation. It all fine until the end of May, when the host suddenly texted me that there is loud construction noise next door and proposed me look elsewhere and cancel the reservation with no penalty. I told her that my trip was only a few days away and that any change of plan would be extremely inconvenient. She then replied that I could stay and I can cancel at any point without penalty because of the construction noise. The host has moderate cancelation policy listed under the listing, but it becomes long term automatically because it was over 30 days.

By the time I moved in, the construction was indeed very loud during the day, but that was not the only concern. The co-host, who is her partner and shares the Airbnb account name, watches TV often past midnight, and the living room couch I was sleeping on was right next to the TV. I couldn't sleep before 1 a.m. for most nights but hesitated to confront him right after the move-in. But on the third day, I was already searching for alternative housing, having been reminded that the host promised that I could cancel this stay at any point without penalty. After finding a sublease outside the city, I moved out and canceled the reservation after four nights. 

Worried about my unique circumstances, I called Airbnb customer support to explain my situation and wished them to assist in honoring the refund. Besides the $1,058 I was charged by Airbnb, I had to pay another $1,700 for the sublease I moved to. Niesha P., an Airbnb Customer Experience representative, asked me for a phone screenshot that included the host's message promising cancellation refund without penalty. I emailed Niesha back with it immediately. Niesha said that she would get back to me later in the evening or the next day. She did not. I called Airbnb again last night and was told by another agent that Niesha would call me this morning. No phone or email this morning or afternoon either. I was initially convinced that the host would honor the refund, but now I am essentially paying double rent for my internship housing. I am very afraid that the host will not refund me and Airbnb will take no action because the long-term cancellation policy does not refund the first 30 days. I canceled the reservation early and did not report the living conditions within 24 hours of the move-in date only because the host promised the refund multiple times, even after I moved in. 

I am sending you this message because I am terribly frustrated by this experience, and I know Airbnb prides on the utmost satisfaction from its loyal customers. I believe that I deserve a far better and quicker resolution in this case. Thank you very much for your time and attention in reviewing this complaint, and I look forward to your reply promptly.

I realize that this case is a bit tricky because it involved a host's promise that prompted me to cancel early despite of the long-term cancellation policy. I would really appreciate your input and suggestions. Thank you!

Han
4 Replies 4
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Han1:  I do believe that you are doing all you can with Airbnb to resolve your situation.  Obviously, this forum of Hosts has no ability to resolve your issue; and I feel that keeping in communication with Airbnb is your best approach.  And no, I don't agree that Airbnb is playing dodge.  Airbnb literally has millions of registered Guests (I've read). You didn't mention what kind of Cancellation Policy your Host had.  I can tell you from the many posts that I have read here in the Community Help Center, that unique problems such as yours, take time to resolve.  That is because your issue doesn't fit within the algorithms and coding of the website - it requires human intervention with both you and with your Hosts.  With millions of Guests reaching out to Airbnb, that will take time to resolve.  I don't doubt that it will be resolved, just keep a record of your conversations, etc.  Also, I am envisioning you sleeping on a couch while someone else is close by watching t.v.  That certainly doesn't seem like the best scenario for a student.  Hopefully, you can find a more appropriate setting for studying, with some quiet space.  Good Luck. Lois

Thank you so much Lois for this detailed response! I understand that I should have some patience in waiting, but it has irked me quite a lot when customer service reps told me that my case manager would get back to me — say later tonight, tomorrow morning or after finishing a phone call with another customer — she never did. I've called at least 10 times over the last three days to little avail. Do you think sending this email to Aisling and Brian could be helpful at all? I sent it anyway just in case.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Han1,

It's been a couple of days since you wrote about this, have you heard from Airbnb since then?

I hope this has been resolved!

Kirstie

Hello Kirstie,

Thank you for following up! It has now been resolved as an Airbnb case manager refunded me the unspent nights plus a coupon of $45 for future stays. I can't say that I am fully satisfied with this resolution, but at least I can leave the afflicting experience behind. 

Best,

Han