Host offered to refund me for remaining nights of month long stay minus service and Airbnb fees

Answered!

Host offered to refund me for remaining nights of month long stay minus service and Airbnb fees

I realized that there was not a lock on my bedroom door for locking at night and no place to store my valuables after arriving. (I am not really concerned about the host with my valuables but if another guest arrives they could potentially have access to my valuables in my room while I am out),  I tried to find a workable solution by trying to get a portable lock for the door myself, but the host does not want me to use a portable lock on the door as she is afraid it will damage it. She has offered me a refund for the remaining nights of my stay and said that this is possible but she doesn’t want to cancel the booking herself because she says she will lose her superhost status. I am avoiding asking her for this because I am sensitive to her concerns. I can’t seem to find a way to cancel since it’s classed as a long term stay and also the room was labelled as having a no refund policy. I’m not sure how to get some help from Airbnb. I also don’t want to cancel myself in the reservation centre because then I could lose my money.

1 Best Answer

“If a host rents out rooms to more than one unrelated person or group, IMO they should definitely have a lock on the private room doors. Both for the guests' peace of mind and to avoid any accusations about someone entering when a guest is out, or anything going missing.”

Absolutely it is to the hosts advantage and were I a host I would certainly want to pre empt any potential headache or problem with crime or stolen property. My suggestion for me to use a portable lock is also to her advantage in this way.

That’s fine and yes I should, and will definitely check but what is her issue with me using a portable lock especially since it helps prevent problems for her as well?  There were no rules against this when I booked and I didn’t agree not to use one. If she doesn’t want people to use a portable lock or protect their things and privacy at night she can specify that in the listing. And if she doesn’t she can’t expect guest to abide by that and not fair as well.  Just as it would be disappointing if I didn’t read and changed the terms also my getting new terms is the same problem. Just as the offer of a lock was not in the agreement (and I understand the fairness aspect of this), the not using a portable lock was not in the agreement (similarly this has a fairness aspect as well).

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marisa475 

The host must use the "change option" on the reservation, shorten the reservation and  change the automatically calculated price on the pricefield in the change-form to what you both agree on.

After that you have option to accept (or decline) the change.

Thanks for letting me know, so she does have to do it herself.

I looked back in her room review listing and saw that she had the exact same problem with another guest.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marisa475  I understand your concern. If a host rents out rooms to more than one unrelated person or group, IMO they should definitely have a lock on the private room doors. Both for the guests' peace of mind and to avoid any accusations about someone entering when a guest is out, or anything going missing.

It's something I would mention in the review so future guests are aware. 

However, there is a place in the amenities list for a host to check as to whether there is a lock on the guest's door.  Did you look for that info when you booked? 

It's important for guests to fully read the info provided, and ask questions before you book about anything you need clarified. It isn't fair to the host for guests to expect or ask for what isn't stated as provided and then want to cancel.

@Marisa475  Here's a tip for the future, if you are looking at home-share, private room listings. 

If it isn't stated in the listing info whether you will be sharing exclusively with the host, or if there might be other guests in other rooms, and who you will be sharing common spaces with, click on the host's profile photo to see if they have more than one listing. If they list 2 or 3 private rooms, then you know there could be other guests, and you would then know to ask the host, before committing to a booking, whether the bedrooms have both inside and outside locks.

“If a host rents out rooms to more than one unrelated person or group, IMO they should definitely have a lock on the private room doors. Both for the guests' peace of mind and to avoid any accusations about someone entering when a guest is out, or anything going missing.”

Absolutely it is to the hosts advantage and were I a host I would certainly want to pre empt any potential headache or problem with crime or stolen property. My suggestion for me to use a portable lock is also to her advantage in this way.

That’s fine and yes I should, and will definitely check but what is her issue with me using a portable lock especially since it helps prevent problems for her as well?  There were no rules against this when I booked and I didn’t agree not to use one. If she doesn’t want people to use a portable lock or protect their things and privacy at night she can specify that in the listing. And if she doesn’t she can’t expect guest to abide by that and not fair as well.  Just as it would be disappointing if I didn’t read and changed the terms also my getting new terms is the same problem. Just as the offer of a lock was not in the agreement (and I understand the fairness aspect of this), the not using a portable lock was not in the agreement (similarly this has a fairness aspect as well).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marisa475  Well, you said that the host's stated objection to the lock was that she thinks it will somehow damage the door. Just because it doesn't say in the listing that you can't do something, doesn't mean you can.

A host can't anticipate everyything a guest might want to do and make some rule against it. That would be impossible. Am I supposed to make a rule saying guests can't kick my dog? And if I don't have a stated rule against it, guests should assume they can kick the dog?

I don't have rule that a guest can't repaint their room, but that doesn't mean they're at liberty to do so.

She probably never had anyone ask to put a portable lock on the door before. Maybe you could find a photo online of the type of lock you are thinking of, with illustrated instructions for installation, that would show her that it won't damage the door or the door frame?

And of course the host would also need to have a key for it, in case of emergency. 

I assume you have booked this place somewhat long-term? If you can't work this out amicably with the host, I would suggest you proceed with getting the booking shortened.