Host offers long term stay and revokes availability after discounted booking request...

Angelica127
Level 2
The Colony, TX

Host offers long term stay and revokes availability after discounted booking request...

I will try to make this as short and not confusing as possible. Basically I inquired about booking an apartment for a long term stay. I asked a few questions about the internet and if he was able to host a three month stay. He seemed ecstatic about it and immediately sent me a pre-approved booking offer. The offer he sent me was only slightly below the nightly rate for the entire three months (about 5%), which was still pretty pricey, so I decided to talk to my boyfriend and think about it. After looking around, I was checking back on a few places and this happened to be one of them. I noticed there was an added discount on the profile for being one of the first bookings for this listing which made the price a lot more affordable. I sent him a booking request at the rate offered on his profile, and within a few hours he declined it stating he was unable to accomodate the entire duration of my stay. I thought this was a bit weird because just four days before he offered me the three months and his calendar was still completely open. I messaged back saying that I was a bit confused because his calendar still showed as completely open and available to me. He then responded saying he updated it. I went back to look and sure enough he blocked out two consecutive weeks in one month and two consecutive weeks in the next. I thought this was a bit odd because it seemed unlikely that he got two random two week bookings in the middle of both months that weren't originally there. I checked back a day later and sure enough he opened up the dates again but removed the percentage discount from the listing. I guess I am just trying to find out how other guests/hosts would feel about this? I kinda feel like I got cheated. He added that discount on his listing himself and then revoked it. I doubt it was an error because it was only 20%, I could have seen it being a mistake if it was like 40%+ or something. At the end of the day, hosts are allowed to charge whatever they want and I totally respect that. I know the golden rule is: If a listing is too much, simply look for something cheaper. This had been the first time I asked abount monthly pricing because there was no initial discount offered, and if he declined I would have been respectful of that. Has anyone, hosts or guests, run into this situation before? Hosts, how would you handle a similar situation? Thanks for any insight and replies. I am new to AirBnB so forgive me if my terminology isn't quite on point. 

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angelica127   I think your question is totally valid and it's nice to see a guest saying they realize a host is free to choose whatever pricing they see fit, as well as realizing that guests should choose a listing that fits their budget, rather than trying to just talk hosts down on their price.

It's unfortunate that the host did this to you, and no, it's not fair practice. If the host is new, they may be somewhat confused about their pricing, they may have smart pricing on, and not understand how it works, etc. But for a host to block off weeks so you can't book, when he's already made you an offer, and then unblock them when he thinks you've gone away, is really unprofessional.

While every new host, just like every new guest, needs that first chance, you may want to look at only booking with experienced hosts with good reviews, or at least, if booking with a new host, message them to say what happened to you before and get their assurance that they won't do the same to you. But, I'm sure you realize that if you don't jump on a good offer, someone else can book the place while you're still deliberating.

@Sarah977 Thank you for your insight and advice 🙂 I will definitely keep that in mind. 

@Angelica127

I host a lot of long-term guests so.....based on my personal experience and what I've read from your post........my impression is that the host was initially excited about the possibility of a large payout but once he calmed down and looked at the numbers found out after factoring in the costs, he would not be making much of a profit. Maybe even losing money.

Also, there is risk for hosts where guests gaining tenancy rights for stays longer than a month and long-term hosting is very different from short-term hosting because long-term stays are not short visits but rather guests are "living" in the home so more cooking, wear-and-tear, possibility of bringing friends/family into home are high - maybe the host decided he could not accomodate what would be needed for a long-term stay.

You say "only 20%" but 20% for a 3 night stay and 20% for a 3 month stay are totally different - I am sure the host was not expecting one of the first few bookings to be for a 3 month stay (meaning out of 90 days, a 20% discount will mean the host has to provide 18 days for free!!!) Newer hosts offer a special discount to the first few guests in order to get positive reviews. If someone were to stay 3 months, that goes against the purpose of offering a discount to the first few stays 🙂

To be totally fair, I actually have a 20% monthly discount set up BUT I adjust my nightly rates so that the monthly total payout meets what I feel I should make for long-term stays. Therefore, shorter stays in my home can seem a little bit more expensive that other competing listings - which is exactly what I was aiming for! (majority of my guests stay anywhere from 1 to 4 months)

I do think the host was wrong send an offer only to block the days like that and then open them up again. He could have just been honest about everything. In any case, I think it is better that your booking did not go thru because if the host had realized all of this later, he might have asked for more money or he'd have a grudge and could easily resent having you as a guest, or just cancel on you last minute. Imo, it's better for you to find a place where your presence and business is appreciated.

Good luck~ I am sure there will be somewhere that will be just right for you~!

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Hi there 🙂 Thanks for the input. I more or less meant "only 20%" as in I have seen this similar discount on other profiles, therefore suggesting it wasn't a mistaken number. I do agree that it is probably for the better that it did not go through, but I feel it could have been handled better if he were just honest about it. Thank you for the well wishes! I found a few other places I am looking into as we speak 🙂 Hoping my first experience with AirBnb turns out to be a good one!

Hello,  I would love a little advise on pricing.  Normally I do short term rentals on a garage loft.  During this time of the year things are slow and I was contacted for a 2 month rental while she moves here  for a job.  Reviews are good, but I don't know how to approach pricing.  Normally I charge $100 a night and a $35.00 cleaning fee.  Since you do long term, is there a formula or a % that you use to determine pricing.

Thanks for your help

Judy

@Judy182

Look at what the monthly rent is for similar places in your neighborhood and look at your "cost of hosting" for an entire month. 

You definitely need to charge more than what monthly rent would be since your place is furnished and there are amenities, sheets, towels, utilities (internet, electricity, gas, water......) to consider. Also make sure your house rules factor in someone "living" in your home, not just staying a couple nights. Whatever you decide, clear communication to manage expectations will be very important. Good luck~ and here is a link with a few additional links to look at......food for thought 🙂 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Long-term-stay-advice/m-p/799064