Host only fee listing but guest fee being charged also?

Host only fee listing but guest fee being charged also?

Hi

Our listings have recently been changed to the Host only service fee (15% + GST so 16.5% in total} and the last couple of bookings have reflected this accurately.  The last 2 enquiries we have received however, have both a host fee of !6.5% and a guest fee of 15.5% listed under 'Potential earnings' and 'Guest paid' breakdowns.  This is just on the app though; on the laptop it just shows the totals so if I was only using the laptop I wouldnt know that both were being charged the service fee.  Not sure if this is a glitch or something dodgy on Air's behalf.  I contacted the support centre about the enquiry that came in  yesterday but the support person just left the converstation mid way without any explanations or resolution.  I have contacted them again about this latest enquiry but have not heard back as yet. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same or has any ideas of what is going on here?

Thanks

Jo

13 Replies 13
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I think this is the same issue vut on steroids @Ann72  it appears now the host and the guest are paying 15 percent each. That’s one way for airing to make up for last year’s losses. And the guests have all those couches to spend 

Thanks @Ann72 @Inna22 . I tried to write a response but got the 'something went wrong' message.  I have responded in the other thread.  We received an instant book this morning for the same apartment where only the host fee was included. Something weird going on. Still haven't heard anything back from support.

@Gavin-and-Jo0  Yes, that is a frequent issue here. Always make sure to copy what you have typed before posting so you can paste it again in case you get the error message. This literally happened to me right now as I was posting this

Thanks @Inna22  Will do.

Well after lots of to and fro, they are now agreeing that it seems to be a technical issue.  They did insist many times over that as they could not replicate the problem that it didn't exist, even after sending them 3 screen shots showing the breakdown of payments and fees on both the host and guest side.  I did ask the latest guest who sent an enqury to please confirm the amount they would be paying and happy to say that the guest fee was not included (despite being shown as added to their payment amount on our side) so in  the end the amount they would pay was correct.  Just yet another glitch for them to work out it seems.

Seema43
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Mismatch between a preview of Earnings and what the guest is being charged. Attached are screenshots showing this difference. It looks like AirBnb are earning over £70 for a week's booking taking a cut from both the guest and the host.  This is not Ok.Screenshot_20220123-164433_WhatsApp.jpg

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Seema43,

Sometimes the What Guests Pay function doesn't capture any discounts that are being offered, and only reflects the base rate, fees and taxes.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Seema43  There's no mismatch there. What the guests pays and what your potential earnings are, are two different things. The service fee the guest pays have nothing to do with your earnings.

Seema43
Level 2

Please look at my Screenshot again. For a 7 nights booking @£25 I should earn £175 plus cleaning fee £4, its £179. Host fee of £5.18 is deducted to give £173.82. This should be my earning, however there is £35 "Special Offer" being deducted as well reducing my earning to just £138.82. What is this Special Offer deduction???

@Seema43  There is a 20% discount set by default on new listings. That would be exactly that $35. 

You have to turn that discount off in your settings if you don't want it.

And your listing looks nice, but you have neglected to write any listing description at all. You need to fill out all thee sections available to let guests kniw what they  are renting, what common areas they have access to, and as I see you don't offer kitchen use nor is there any kitchenette, little fridge if anything in the room, you need to make that clear in the ad, as I guess your guests woukd have to be okay with eating all their meals out.

You also need to describe the living situation- who guests will be sharing the house with. As it stands, I would have no idea of what you are offering or really anything about the place,  the area, if there are stores or restaurants or public transport, etc. nearby.

Seema43
Level 2

@Sarah977 Thank you for your input. I have noted areas I can give more info on but I had updated all sections of the listing. I had mentioned that meals are available if requested a day in advance at a separate cost, not sure why this hasn't come through.

I had also specified the living situation.

I have mentioned a lot about the neighbourhood and access to amenities so unsure why its not visible. 

Will look into it more and get a bit more familiar with the website/app.

Many Thanks for your feedback.

@Seema43  Desktop version is easier to do things on than the app and there are also things you can do on the desktop version thaat aren't posdible on the app. Also make sure you click on "Save" after making changes. And sometimes there are tech glitches, nothing to do with anything you are doing or not doing.