Host protection. Is this just a marketing ploy?

Charmaine1
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Host protection. Is this just a marketing ploy?

Does Airbnb provide Host Protection or not? 
Airbnb say they do but my experience is they find the small print to decline a payout. 
This is how my story unfolds. 
1) Guest sits on marble dining table and  it breaks. Guest apologises and says he will replace. 
We both spend next few days in search of cheapest replacement quote and I submit this to the Resolution Centre about 4 days after the guest has departed. R12 400. 
2) The guest tells Airbnb he can only afford a small portion of the replacement because he is a student and pays R3000 which Airbnb pay me out. 
3) I ask Airbnb resolution centre if they will make up the shortfall. Airbnb DECLINE. 
Why? Because the next new guest had checked in before I submitted the quote. 
4) I ask Airbnb. How can I submit a claim if I have no idea what amount to claim? I first had to get a quote. I submitted this four days later and we’ll within the 14 day period they require.  
5) Airbnb response. Sorry next guest had checked in and out terms and conditions say you have to do so  within 14 days or before new guest checks in. 
6) whilst I can understand this generally when there could be a dispute IN THIS CASE THE GUEST WHO BROKE IT ADMITTED AND PAID A PORTION.!!!

7) I had two very unhelpful Airbnb staff members (who  told me they were the highest authority and my request stops with them so no point trying to get another supervisor to look at my case). 
😎 My question to Airbnb. 
I have been a Suoerhost for 8 consecutive years. I was very loyal to Airbnb and always insisted all repeat guests (some have stayed eight or more times) but I INSIST they always book on the website as m not covered by the Airbnb insurance otherwise. Guests don’t like this but I don’t feel comfortable taking the chance of allowing a direct booking incase something goes wrong. 
Then this happens. 
Airbnb have let me down. 
I believe the Supervisor at Resolution Centre did not adhere to  the spirit of the Terms and Conditions and with that has irreparably damaged my perception of them as a partner.
Anybody know how one gets this to the hierarchy. Airbnb you don’t want hosts taking direct bookings. Your Host protection is a huge motivation in keeping everything on your platform.  

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Charmaine1  Unfortunately, you didn't follow Airbnb procedure for making a claim. It's clearly stated that you have to submit the damage claim before the next guest checks in. You don't have to submit receipts at that point- as you say, it may take awhile to get quotes for replacement or repair, but you have to document the damage and start the process, and messages between you and the guest don't count- you have to follow the procedure.

Like insurance companies, Airbnb will look for a loophole not to pay out, so you have to try not to give them that excuse.

Of course it's absurd that when a guest admits responsibility for damage, that's not good enough, but that's how Airbnb does business.

Charmaine1
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks I get that. “Like insurance companies Airbnb will find every loophole to avoid  a payout’. Goodness what happened to partnerships?
Ironically this experience has shifted my loyalty towards Airbnb. It’s harmed much of the admiration I held for the company. Behind the ‘polite talk’ and ethical veneer they like to portray it has morphed from that family partnership to being no different from any of the  other big booking companies. 
Pity.  Going forward I will no longer insist that returning guests use the platform. Trust is gone. Who knows what “loophole” Airbnb find the next time? After all are  Terms and Conditions not to safeguard both parties? When  the Terms and Conditions  are not executed in the SPIRIT  of what they were intended to prevent ( two guests disputing a breakage) then this really isn’t about a partnership but finding a way out of your responsibilities. 
It is what it is I guess. Pity the bosses/hierarchy never get to read these posts. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Charmaine1  Well, it isn't that the Airbnb big boys and girls don't get to read the posts here- they have access to them just like everyone does. If they do read them, it doesn't seem to result in any positive and necessary changes, it just seems to indicate to them that they need to come up with more fluffy feel-good empty PR campaigns. Pity indeed.

I have had great guests and for that I am grateful for the platform, but I have always told guests if they want to come back, to just contact me directly, because Airbnb doesn't own the relationship between hosts and guests once a platform booking has come to an end, and I don't feel any "loyalty" to a huge multibillion dollar company which obviously doesn't feel any loyalty towards its hosts.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Charmaine1 

I understand your disppointment, but the rules about claiming damages are very clear and Airbnb is using them strict (which can be read in many cases here in the community). But there are some other advantages when (returning) guests should book via Airbnb:

- there is always a contract (reservation)

- there are terms and policies (like the cancellation policy) in place

- no hassle with money between guest and host

- The Host protection Inssurance https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance

- Review system (creates pressure on host and guest to perform well....)

And more

Most imporant for me: no need to create contracts or terms myself for STR and appointments are clear to both parties.

Charmaine1
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks. Get that now. My repeat guests will be delighted as it will save them substantial amounts. Same with the Corporate clients who I have always bullied into booking on the platform.