Host requesting $475 after I wanted a refund of $27 for missing amenities

Justyna45
Level 2
Poznań, Poland

Host requesting $475 after I wanted a refund of $27 for missing amenities

Hi all,

I am in a strange situation. I will describe it here as accurately as possible, but please ask questions if anything's not clear.

A few days ago, I stayed at an apartment for one night. From the start it was bad, but I tried to be nice and I didn't want to complain about anything.

The check-in was from 12pm and I let the host know I would be there at 12pm. When I arrived, it turned out that I was given a wrong address. I asked for the correct one and when I received it and went there, it turned out that the apartment was not ready, it was still getting cleaned. I waited on the sidewalk and was let in after 40 minutes. Delays happen, I can understand that, but I was upset that she hadn't notified me about the delay - I would have waited in a cafe and not on a sidewalk on such a hot day.

The apartment was worn down, had a weird moldy smell and I know mold is dangerous, but I figured one night would be fine and I also don't want to make a big deal out of things. Most apartments have minor inconveniences, like a broken kettle or ants or no toilet paper, and I prefer to adapt.

I tried to use the washer, but it was broken. I left to go to the beach, and then to eat, and when I came back I tried to use the washer a few more times with different programs but it always stopped working after about a minute or two, at most maybe 5 minutes. It just made my clothes wet. I managed to open the washer to get my clothes out, the water inside didn't drain and spilled out of the washer. I cleaned it all up. I notified the host that the washer was not working, she responded with "don't worry".

The most important amenity for me is a dedicated workspace because I travel and work remotely. But there was none in the apartment. The host claimed in the listing that there was a dedicated workspace, a private room suitable for working - that was not true. There was not even a desk with a comfortable chair. There was only a dining table in the kitchen with a wooden chair, next to the washer and the dryer. I used the dryer to dry my clothes, and it was so loud that I couldn't work or talk to anyone. This was not suitable for working at all.

Overall, I have always had delightful experiences with Airbnb and this was the only one that was upsetting and that I was disappointed with.

Next day, after I left, I requested a refund of $27. I have spent hundreds of days in Airbnbs and this was the first time I was so upset that I've requested a refund. I don't care that much about $27 but I don't think the host deserves to be paid in full when the stay was as it was and they lied in their listing. The listing still claims that there's a "dedicated workspace".

The host responded 2 days later with a claim that I broke a marble sink. They provided photos of large cracks in a countertop. They are requesting $475 which is a lot to me. I did not cause it. I barely used the sink and I don't think I could break it even if I tried. I would think you need a hammer to break marble. Also the whole apartment was a bit used up so if there was a crack in the countertop before, I would not have even paid particular attention to it and likely dissmissed it as yet another wear and tear.

This appears to be an extortion attempt. But I have never been in a situation like this and I have not taken any photos of the apartment before leaving. I worry that Airbnb might side with the host since they are apparently a 'superhost' though how that's possible is mind-boggling to me.

I am upset that I am accussed of a damage that not only I didn't do but I don't even think is possible. Is the host trying to scare me after I wanted a partial refund?

What happens now? Has anyone been in the similar a situation? Should I notify the police? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reading, any help is appreciated.

29 Replies 29
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Justyna45 , I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's been a couple of days since you posted, have there been any changes to the situation? Have you been in touch with CS yet regarding this?

Please let us know how you get on!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi Sybe,

Airbnb notified me they are analyzing the case, but that due to a high volume of cases, there are delays. So still waiting.

I hope they solve it soon because it weights on me and I would really like to stop worrying about it. But I understand.

Thanks for asking! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

Sorry this happened to you. I hope the situation gets resolved soon. By the way, what did the host respond when you asked for the refund, or was the first response her trying to charge for the damaged sink? Were the photos of the sink time stamped?

I know it doesn't help you right now, but a couple of suggestions for the future. If there is a dedicated workspace, especially a separate room for working, specified on the listing but now shown in the photos, I would ask questions about it before booking. I know that some hosts do count a dining table and chair as a workspace. I don't, even though I personally work from my dining table! Still, it's not uncommon.

If you encounter problems at an Airbnb which you think entitle you to a refund, it's best to take photos/videos, otherwise you could end up in a 'he said, she said' situation. I know it's difficult to photograph something that doesn't exist, e.g. a missing amenity or a malfunctioning washer/dryer, but maybe a video of the latter might have worked. Certainly you could have photographed examples of the apartment being run down.

It is problematic though asking for a refund when you have completed your stay, i.e. you think it is bad enough to warrant a refund but not bad enough that you should leave. I assume though that the $27 is for a partial refund, not the full price of the listing?

Hi @Huma0 

Thank you for responding and for suggestions.

I think I had been lucky before because I had never had to check photos that carefully. Particularly with superhosts.

I stayed with superhosts before and if anything, the apartments were downplayed in the listings, and in real life the apartments were even better than expected.

Now, after reading other stories online, I know I should take photos or videos when I arrive and when I leave. It just has never occurred to me. I didn't even hear about any kind of damage request before. I didn't know that could happen. But yes, I will be more careful.

To answer your question, the host didn't respond to my refund request. They also didn't fix the listing, so I don't know if they even read my message. The first response from them was that request for $475. The photos are not time-stamped.

I wouldn't mind a dining table as a dedicated workspace (certainly it would not be a basis for a refund request). It's just the chair that should be at least a bit comfortable.

I took photos of a "dedicated workspace" (dining table) and of the broken washer (with water inside) and of course there was the conversation with the host showing that I had to wait (and I am assuming Airbnb has access to that). Airbnb refunded me $27.

I didn't even think about leaving because my clothes were wet (the washer filled itself with water, but stopped working after a minute or two).

$27 is a partial refund. I paid $56 in total. I agree that asking for a refund is problematic when I already used something. I was thinking that I should always pay the costs (water, electricity, washing of sheets). However, the host should not make money of me in this situation.

And I didn't feel I should keep that $27 either (I sent it to an animal shelter).

Thank you, Huma, for trying to help, I appreciate it.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

I totally understand what you are saying. I am not suggesting that guests always take photos when they arrive and depart. That is not something I have ever done when staying in an Airbnb. I suppose though that you never know. The host might accuse you of damaging something that you didn't, so it might be worthwhile. Kind of spoils a holiday though and not something most people have time for on a short trip or when working remotely. I meant more that when you noticed issues that made you think you should get some sort of refund, it would have been a good idea to try to photograph those issues.

I guess because you got your refund, the problem is solved? Or is the host still trying to claim for the damage to the marble counter top?

@Huma0 

I got the refund ($27) but the host is still trying to get me to pay $475 for the countertop - this case is still open.

Yes, this is strange to have to take videos/photos, and time-consuming too. I really don't know what's the right approach is here. On one hand, most hosts are definitely normal, honest people, on the other I see many people recommending to take videos/photos just in case. There was someone on Reddit who said their video came in handy when they got sued and they were able to prove that they didn't destroy something thanks to the video. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

I think you are right that most hosts are normal, honest people. I can see that you have several really nice reviews and that you had a great relationship and experience with your hosts.

No, I don't advise guests to take photos and videos every time they check in and out of an Airbnb. I was just saying that maybe it's a good idea when there are serious problems, especially if the host is not addressing them when you contact them about it. Just so you have some evidence.

Of course you cannot tell when a host is suddenly going to try to charge a guest for some sort of major damage that they did not cause, so perhaps time stamped photos and videos are useful, but who wants to do that on a holiday or a one night stay if there are no obvious problems?

To put it from a different angle though, as a host, I have guests damaging things all the time and most of them never admit to it. If I bring it up, they usually get hostile. Perhaps the host genuinely thinks you damaged the marble. I doubt it (e.g. why did this only come up when you requested a partial refund), but you never know... It can become very frustrating.

It sounds like in your case possibly the host was expecting you to cause problems for them due to your complaints and refund request and decided to counter that with a damage request. Of course that is not fair if you didn't cause the damage.

You say your are not sure of the condition of the marble because the place was in disrepair anyway and you did not notice, but if you are 100% sure that you could not have caused that damage, then sure, I would fight this case. If the host has made other similar attempts at damage claims, that will count in your favour.

@Huma0 

Yes! I had some really amazing experiences. Like, one time I stayed at a dairy farm and got to meet the cows and spend time with the family. Things like that. Overall definitely most of my experiences were awesome. And honestly, even when there were some problems, it felt more like things that could happen at my own home too and we worked together with hosts to solve them. E.g. at one of my recent locations there was no electricity, and the host was not answering their phone or responding to messages, but electricity issues happen anywhere and the host could be at, say, a doctor's office or a church and not check their phone every 5 minutes. As soon as they found out, they arrived and fixed it. My point is, even if there are some setbacks sometimes, it's still usually fixable, and doesn't take away from the experience.

I am sorry you have to deal with hostile guests. I was just thinking how frustrating it must be on the other side of things. If someone broke something, then a host would be required to have photos, preferably time-stamped - right before the guest's arrival, and just after the guest leaving. And then jump through hoops to prove the damage. And in this current situation, if my host believed I broke the countertop, then they would be thinking, "not only she didn't apologize, but she even asked for a refund!".

I, so far, have only broken a plate once, I apologized, the host didn't want any money. Still, it's not fun for hosts to have to buy new plates or anything else every few weeks.

The crack in the marble countertop is huge. It looks like it is broken into two separate pieces. This is really serious damage. I don't know how I could have caused that without a hammer. The countertop is only around the sink, so that's not a place where someone could e.g. put their heavy suitcase unless they put it directly in the sink. I don't know how I could cause that kind of damage, but even more importantly, I don't know how I could cause that and not notice.

But I also don't think anyone would break a countertop on purpose and then accuse someone of damage just in retaliation for a refund request. So if the countertop is broken, how did it all happen? I don't know.

I found the host's listing on another website. And they have a few negative reviews (misleading listing, everything's old, not enough hot water) and in each case the host lashed out and responded with insults. I wish I had seen that before booking. I would never have stayed with this host if I knew that's how they reacted to negative comments. Even if the host felt negative comments were undeserved, which I am sure happens, getting this angry is not sensible.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

Yes, the sink is quite a mystery. I can only guess that someone caused the damage after you left, perhaps while cleaning. I know that marble can crack or break if mishandled. Some builders broke a marble table top that was here when I bought the house but they never explained how. However, if the counter top is fixed in place, it seems very odd. I think it would probably only break if someone dropped something very heavy on it by accident. 

No, it's never a good idea to get angry in responses to reviews, but it happens quite frequently. It is easy for hosts to take criticism of their listings very personally. You will see plenty of topics on this CC where this is being discussed. The advice is always to sleep on it and then try to respond factually and without getting emotional, but often people fire off their responses in the heat of the moment.

Well, just received a response from Airbnb:

"You owe $479 for damages

Your host let us know about property damage that occurred while you were staying at their place. We've investigated and it's our understanding that you're responsible for the damage."

No explanation.

I guess I will not use Airbnb anymore.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 I think you should definitely respond to Airbnb (again) that you didn't cause the damage and refuse to pay for it. They may access your credit card at which point you could ask for a bank chargeback. 

Of course all the above assumes you didn't cause the damage. It is incredibly hard to see how Airbnb (or you) can prove it one way or another. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks for responding!

I know I can't prove anything at this point. I wish I had taken the photos, but I know it's no use thinking about it now. I don't even know if they would matter. I can see that the photos that the host took weren't taken just after me leaving because I left something on the countertop and it's not in the photos. But I can't prove that either.

Really feeling sad today. I travel and work remotely, so this is going to make things more difficult and I probably won't be able to find unique places like that dairy farm that I mentioned somewhere above. But I will manage.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 Also did you review the host and did they review you? A bit strange if the host didn't leave a bad review after all the alleged damage.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

The host hasn't left a review yet. I've read somewhere that hosts sometimes wait till the last moment if they expect a negative review because when they write their review, guests get a reminder to write a review. I mean, obviously I don't know if that's the case.
I haven't written mine either yet, but I remember about it. I wanted to be less upset to do it. But today I am even more upset than last week, so probably it's not a good moment to write it.