Host requesting increase in price after confirmed reservation and paid deposit.

Laura4467
Level 1
Maine, United States

Host requesting increase in price after confirmed reservation and paid deposit.

I have a confirmed booking for 2021 and have paid a 50% deposit. Now the host is requesting a price increase of $224/night that amounts to a total of $837.14 with all of the fees! I first contacted the host about my interest in his property 3 days before making the reseration. The dates were not available to book yet and I asked when they would become available. I also stated the event that I was renting for. He confirmed that I had the correct dates for the event and offered to open up the dates then so I could book. I asked for details of his cancellation policy since it is not safe to assume the date will take place because of COVID. He did not respond. Three days later the dates were available to book and I made a reservation for two nights which was accepted (I'm guessing automatically) and the deposit was paid. A couple of hours later I received a message from the host stating he was going to cancel my reservation because he had not set his 2021 prices yet and the event required a 3-night reservation (it stated 2-night minimum when I booked). I replied that I could change it to 3 nights (this was my intent to do at some point anyway, I was being cautious with initial expenditure because of COVID and wanting to confirm cancellation policy) and that I would appreciate getting this figured out. Again, I received no response from the host. Two days later (today) I went ahead and put in a request for the third night and it was denied. I messaged the host to ask why and he said it wasn't him (is this even possible?). He told me to try again and said that he was increasing the price. I submitted the request again and this time it was accepted and confirmed. The price was $60 more than the first two nights I booked, and it was for a Thursday night as compared to Friday/Saturday for the first two nights. After the additional night was confirmed I received the request for the additional $837.14. I feel a request for such a steep increase is unacceptable, especially considering the fact that he new it was for the event and he had three days from the time I first contacted him about my interest in the property to when I booked to adjust the prices and he did not. I am afraid if I decline his request he will give me a bad review after our stay. I  have used Airbnb several times and have always had highly favorable reviews from my hosts. I don't know what to do. Should I offer a compromise on the price, maybe offer to meet him halfway? I would appreciate hearing from other hosts your view on his request and from other guests who may have been in this position before. Thank you.

7 Replies 7
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura4467  I'd be looking for a different place to stay

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura4467  I wouldn't worry about getting a bad review.  If the host does give you a bad review for this, you can simply tell future hosts who question it why you got a bad review.  Any good host would understand that it was not you but the host who wasn't playing fair here.

Because the fact is it's strictly verboten to change the price after a confirmed reservation (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1505/can-i-change-the-price-of-a-pending-or-confirmed-reservatio....).  All you have to do is decline the host's request.

A few other notes of clarification:

1)  You should know that Airbnb, not the host, has the deposit.  The host won't receive any funds until after you check in. 

2)  You are always able to see any listing's cancellation policy near the bottom of the listing's web page.

3)  It is possible the host didn't deny the request for a third night - the site can be glitchy.

I think it's dirty pool to try to change prices in this fashion and you're right that he had plenty of opportunity to set those new prices.  I think you should deny his request.

Thank you for your response, Ann, and your clarifications. I'm not sure why I wasn't finding the cancellation policy initially, it is obvious now. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura4467 I would reject the request. If the host then cancels they will get the dates blocked in their calendar. Its hosts like this that sadly give Airbnb a bad name

Thank you for your input. It is helpful to hear others say the request should be denied. It goes against my nature but the request was such a large one!

S136
Level 2
Walnut Creek, CA

I am going to reply to every convo I can find regarding these hostage price increases.  This just happened to me. 

This just happened to me.  I reserved a weekend, it was accepted. Then I go to look over my booking and month later the price was jacked up $150.  It would cost me far more to cancel and I am so so mad.  I contacted Airbnb by phone and told them.  They said I was in no way required to accept the increase.  However they cannot guarantee that the "host" wont cancel my reservation.  I told them that I am being held hostage because to rebook at this late date will cost me hundreds more, and to cancel a trip where I booked a four day weekend of diving will cost me over a thousand.  

I will pay the $150 if I have to.  But I wont be using airbnb again if it comes to that. 

@S136  A host has no way of changing the payment on a confirmed booking. They can ask you to pay more, which is unethical, but they have no way of changing the payment unilaterally.

There is something else going on here.